Onkyo 608 broken - upgrade/replacement suggestions?

nzo

Established Member
Reaction score
My onkyo 608 is broken - looks like the HDMI board issue.

I haven't been looking at new stuff in the last couple of years, so what would be a good replacement unit?

I have 3 input sources and a 5.1 configuration.

cheers

Anyone?

The Onkyo 618 would be the obvious replacement. What is your budget?
Other equivalent models would be Sony 1030, Denon 2113/2313 and Yamaha 673/773. What is your budget?
You could get your 608 repaired fro around £100.

Maybe £300-£500 depending on the features. I'll have a look at those models.
I hadn't considered the Onkyo repair, as this episode has alienated me from the brand (apparently the HDMI thing is a common problem). Also, I don't want to wait 6 months for Onkyo to repair it, unless you know of a reputable place for such repairs?

Thanks for the response.

Get hold of Genserve as they are the Onkyo official repairer. My brother had his fixed and only took a week or so. Give them a call for a quote and estimated time for repair. If you are OK with a soldering iron then you could repair it yourself for a few pounds. There is a guide on youtube that can show you what to do and what to replace.

I saw a couple of videos for the 606 - is this the same issue / same capacitors? Looks straightforward if it is..

Yes it is the same issue and the same fix.

OK, ordered some capacitors. I read somewhere that the 608 had 14 that need replacing, as opposed to the 6 on the 606 video above.

I took the HDMI board out and it looks nothing like the one in the videos nor one described elsewhere. Any pointers?

Attachments

• Img_0422.jpg
    Img_0422.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 677
  • Img_0423.jpg
    Img_0423.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 424
I replaced them anyway, as there was nothing to lose. Still the same problem after. Will probably look at replacing with one of those others you suggested.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom