Onkyo 607 & Boston Acoustics XS 5.1 crossovers

BoonDog

Standard Member
right... getting a bit frustrated here...

have the Onkyo 607 connected to the Boston Acoustic XS 5.1 setup.

The Bostons have a crossover frequency of 150hz, and this is how I have them programmed into the Onkyo. The sub has it's crossover dial set at 150hz as per instructions...

now the frustrating bit... the Onkyo 607 sub crossover will only go to 120hz... so there is a 30hz range that the sub does reproduce... but because the Sub has one of these 'smart' signal off/on, it doesn't register anything in this range and turns itself off. So the sub is off and on, off and on.. off and on... grrrrr :( this also just happens to be the range at which the bass in the male voice is reproduced... and the background crowd noise for sporting events...

Is there anyway that you can set the crossover range on the Onkyo to match the settings on the Boston's?

or... if you have any other brainchild on how I can match up the settings then :lease: :lease: :lease: let me know

Boondog

leeboy22001

What level have you set the Boston sub too? I had to set mine to approx. 11 o'clock, this causes the amp to increase the output level to the sub, and stops the sub automaticaly switching on/off. Not sure what the frequency roll-off is on the Boston satellite speakers, they'll be able to produce 120Hz but at a reduced level, maybe 3 to 6dB down, if so the EQ calibration of the Onkyo should be able to push the level of the satellites at 120Hz to compensate for the frequency response roll-off, giving you a flat frequency response out of the satellites upto 120Hz.

Hope what I've said makes sense ?

Last edited:

BoonDog

Standard Member
I have changed the output of the Satellites to the 120hz setting and it does 'cover' the bottom of the range a bit better but still have issues with the sub on/off.

Are you suggesting altering the dial on the sub to 11 o'clock (eg 120hz)?

Is that not just moving the issue? as the boston sat's don't really do any bass reproduction, I would really prefer to have the sub working to the 150hz cross over... I am guessing that this is not possible however, well not without any firmware update into the Onkyo....

maybe if we think about it in the other direction... is there anyway to disable the auto on/off function of the Boston sub?

leeboy22001

Are you suggesting altering the dial on the sub to 11 o'clock (eg 120hz)?
Adjust the sub level/volume knob to 11 o'clock, for example at 1 o'clock would make sub louder, at 11 o'clock would make sub quieter, then increase Amps LFE/sub output level by approx. 6 dB to compensate.

I would leave sub cross-over frequency at 150Hz, and Onkyo LFE frequency at 120Hz.

BoonDog

Standard Member
ok... will have a play... I did try this but didn't notice much of a difference, but that was when I was in 'Play with the settings' mode...

a more strategic approach might pay off....