Onkyo 606 TV signal problem

airline1

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a topfield 5810 PVR and have had it connected via hdmi through the amp. I have been suffering very bad signal break up on ITV and some other channels. I have now connected the topfield directly to the TV and have sound via optical through the amp. The signal problem is now sorted, so there must be an issue with the 606 reducing the signal strength.
When the topfield is connected via the amp it shows a very low signal bar and when the amp is bypassed it shows a full strength signal bar.

Anybody know why this should be happening?

Cheers
Dave

Seems strange and might explain some of the issues over the upscaling of s/d sky somepeople are having! Sorry but i dont have any answers for u though

All electrical equipment causes some level of interference. It sounds like you may be getting an earthloop somewhere.

Does the RF cable also leave the Toppy and go to the TV for it's internal receiver? Do you have a booster in the loft for the aerial?

Using the optical lead is fine because there is no electrical contact between the Toppy and Amp.

The problem is not necessarily the Amp. It might just be the conduit for the problem. If you have any other equipment plugged into the Onkyo or TV or aerial lead then it might be worth removing that to try and isolate the problem further.

Good luck

All electrical equipment causes some level of interference. It sounds like you may be getting an earthloop somewhere.

Does the RF cable also leave the Toppy and go to the TV for it's internal receiver? Do you have a booster in the loft for the aerial?

Using the optical lead is fine because there is no electrical contact between the Toppy and Amp.

The problem is not necessarily the Amp. It might just be the conduit for the problem. If you have any other equipment plugged into the Onkyo or TV or aerial lead then it might be worth removing that to try and isolate the problem further.

Good luck

Hi,
thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

The aerial lead goes via a booster which is the plug in type and then out to the toppy. I do not use the TV's internal tuner so the aerial does not go to the TV. There is no booster in the loft and the aerial is in the loft, a necessary evil due to the area I live in!
I have a TV in the bedroom which receives its signal from the same source and I have no problems with signal quality.

I have nothing else going through the amp at the moment.
There is an obvious issue with the signal when it goes via the amp, so to quote the analogy "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it must be a duck" I am going to blame the amp :)

It is not a problem but it would be interesting to find out what is causing the drop in signal. Not being a techie type my expertise is limited as to how far I can analyse the problem.

Is anybody else having a similar problem with a freeview box connected via hdmi?

Cheers
Dave

Try it without the booster in the way. If the booster is next to the Toppy then it won't do anything much anyway. They should be as close to the aerial as possible.
Also the booster should be before the split in the aerial lead. Try not having the bedroom TV connected. This will be stealing half your signal if you are using a passive splitter.

You are already receiving a poorer signal because your aerial is tucked away in the loft (so is mine!)

I know you can leave it as it is but it would be nice to try and track down the problem as it may help others in the future.

Will have a mess around tomorrow if I get time.
I would ideally like to stick a powered booster in the loft next to the aerial but with my diy skills I would probably blow half the street up !!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom