onkyo 606. Speaker advice?

h4rtey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well here is my situation. I have just purchased 606 and i own as my front speakers Mission 700, My rears are Mission 70s and my centre is a 70c or 700c cant quite remember now. My q is are these suitable speakers or are they getting on a bit now? My sub has just bitten the dust so without spending to much money or nothing pref, can i get away without a sub?
Sorry for rambling on!

all help appreciated and sorry if in wrong forum

well thanks for all the help guys:thumbsup:

h4rtey, I'd stick your question in the Onkyo owners thread as that's where all the Onkyo boffins live!

Cheers:)

Help needed please:lease:

I have a BD30 Blu Ray and a Sony CDP 491 CD Player and a lovey pear of B&W DM110 speakers.

I've just connected them up my to my new Onkyo TX SR 606 and it all sound lovely.

Here's the question I beleave that the B&W DM110's are 8 ohm, I have a set of 5.1 sony pods that are 3 ohm, can I use the centre and rear sony pods on this system and keep the B&W's as my front speakers or shoud I use all the sony pods??

I don't what to damage the Onkyo.

All advice greatfully recieved.

Might need to put this in the speaker section mate. I also asked questions and got no replies here.

I apologize in advance if there is a thread related to this. I am having some issues with my system and I hope someone can help.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR606 connected to a 6 speaker setup (L,R,C,SL,SR,SB). No sub yet, still saving up for that. The receiver is connected to a HD Satellite Receiver via HDMI.

I ran the automatic Audyssey program to setup my speakers and everything seemed to work fine. However, when I turn up the volume on the receiver, there is a noticeable quiet buzzing coming from all of the speakers, especially in quiet dialog scenes.

The thing is, I had a TX-SR605 that did the same thing, but I fixed it by raising the DB volume of the speakers to the max in relation to the setting Audyssey suggested and the problem went away. When I try the same thing with the 606, it doesn't work.

When troubleshooting the 605, I had ruled out the HD Receiver (it does the same thing with the PS3, even when all satellite connection are removed). Ruled out the power supply (ran an extension cord to a separate outlet). Ruled out the speaker wire (unplugged all speaker wires and tied one at a time, they all produced the buzzing). Ruled out the HDMI cable (tried different cables with the same results).

I'm a noob on receivers in general, so any help would be appreciative. Thanks!

will do.:thumbsup:

You will definately be doing your new toy a disservice :eek: if you don't get a new sub.

A half decent sub will bring new life to your mission speakers system and you never know - once you've had a listen to your 606 with the new sub you may just find that you find your missions tick your box.

Good luck!:D

i have a sub but cant get it to work with this amp or if it is broken, the light comes on and it hums but no bass if u no wot i mean:thumbsdow

thanks for replying

not even going to pretend to be an expert on this but could have something to do with the crossover levels, check the speaker section

I apologize in advance if there is a thread related to this. I am having some issues with my system and I hope someone can help.

I have a Onkyo TX-SR606 connected to a 6 speaker setup (L,R,C,SL,SR,SB). No sub yet, still saving up for that. The receiver is connected to a HD Satellite Receiver via HDMI.

I ran the automatic Audyssey program to setup my speakers and everything seemed to work fine. However, when I turn up the volume on the receiver, there is a noticeable quiet buzzing coming from all of the speakers, especially in quiet dialog scenes.

The thing is, I had a TX-SR605 that did the same thing, but I fixed it by raising the DB volume of the speakers to the max in relation to the setting Audyssey suggested and the problem went away. When I try the same thing with the 606, it doesn't work.

When troubleshooting the 605, I had ruled out the HD Receiver (it does the same thing with the PS3, even when all satellite connection are removed). Ruled out the power supply (ran an extension cord to a separate outlet). Ruled out the speaker wire (unplugged all speaker wires and tied one at a time, they all produced the buzzing). Ruled out the HDMI cable (tried different cables with the same results).

I'm a noob on receivers in general, so any help would be appreciative. Thanks!

More guess work here. One common reason for hum is interference from the mains. This will be at 50Hz and quite recognizable if you know it. But, it is fairly hard to describe if you don't know it. Is the note perfectly steady and always the same? Mains hum usually is.

Trying a separate outlet is a worthwhile test but does not eliminate the mains as a problem. Earth problems can cause, this either a poor earth or, oddly too much earth (double earthing causing an earth loop which picks up hum). Do the speaker wires or any input wires run close to any mains wires (including one that may be in the wall or under the floor). Does it still make the noise if all inputs are disconnected? Is it possible to take the amp and at least one speaker to a friend's house and see if it makes the noise there? Better still, no speaker but borrow your friend's. If it does then the likelihood of an amplifier fault is quite high. If not then the amp is OK and you may have a wiring problem in your house. If another house is impractical then try another room in your own house, as far from the current location as you can. Move the amp and wires about and see if that has any effect. If yes, then the problem is probably outside the amp. If none of this makes a difference then the problem is probably in the amp.

Perhaps your settings on the new 606 need checked.

Get out the manual and do some bedtime reading.:boring:

Perhaps an Onkyo Buff can suggest a quick fix? Anyone? Come on!:confused:

All the best.

Do the speaker wires or any input wires run close to any mains wires (including one that may be in the wall or under the floor).
How close do they typically need to be to cause this problem? Is an inch apart enough to avoid it?

How close do they typically need to be to cause this problem? Is an inch apart enough to avoid it?

I don't think that there is a simple fixed rule. Analogue inputs are probably the most vulnerable but RCA cables are usually well shielded for that reason. If some input cables were poorly shielded then they may pick up hum over quite a distance. Also, an unfortunate layout of your mains cables may form a good antenna for broadcasting the interference. Electromagnetic radiation can travel a long way, think of how far a radio signal can go.

Digital inputs should be immune. I have never experienced this problem with a digital input but I am quite new to sending digital audio between devices (I have had my 605 for just a few months and have not experienced this problem). If the interference is particularly bad then maybe it could cause a problem through a digital input, that's an interesting question.

It is a familiar problem with analogue inputs. Take even quite a good setup, select an analogue input but don't play anything. Turn your volume to max and you are liable to hear some hum It can take some effort playing with cables and connections to eliminate this. Records decks are particularly prone since their inputs are more sensitive than the others. Many people don't notice the problem (because they never do this test) or don't care since it is not audible at normal levels. If you do this test, don't forget to turn the volume down before playing something. I have not done this test on my Onkyo yet; maybe I will tonight.

A very simple test which would tell us a lot is: does it depend on the source? If so, which ones? Which are better and which are worse?

Slightly harder. Unplug all inputs and check for the noise. If the noise is present with no inputs connected then the problem is in the amp or the speaker or their cables.

It is possible but unlikely that the speaker cables are picking up the interference. Actually, they are more likely to pick it up than the source since they are unshielded but it is unlikely to be noticeable since speakers are very much less sensitive than amp inputs. Can you try headphones? In the unlikely case that the speaker cables are picking up the hum, you should notice that it changes as you move the cables. Do you have cables that are far too long and coiled up neatly? If for some reason you have a spare 100m of cable in the circuit and it is neatly coiled on its reel, it may pick up nicely. Oddly, if you must have loads of spare cable, it would be better in a messy heap than a neat coil. The next possibility is a very strong source of interference; you don't live close to an electricity pylon do you?

I forgot to ask, are you using wireless speakers? I have been assuming no but if you are then the game changes completely.

So, let's suppose that you get the hum with no input connected, changing source has no effect, and moving the speakers and their cables has no effect then we are down to the amp. You either have a fault in the amp (some sensitive component is poorly connected or not properly shielded) or a severe source of interference in your house. To determine this, I think that you need to move the amp. Ideally to a different house or room but even just a few feet or turning it around 90 degrees should be tried. If moving has no effect then it is pretty certainly the amp, live with it or complain to Onkyo or your dealer. If it does have an effect then try to find a location without the problem, knock down that electricity pylon, move house, or complain to Onkyo anyway since their shielding is not good enough.

OK, now quite a few of us have had our 606's long enough to have tinkered with the Audyssey auto calibration speaker set up.:D

And a few of us have replaced amps but kept the same speaker set up.:thumbsup:

How good a job did the auto set up do?

Personally I was underwhelmed and ran mine a few times in a row and got different settings and values each time.:(

The bass was overpowering and the rears were weak.

I already knew the distances and frequency crossovers which I subsequently dialled in manually for a better result.:)

Maybe its my ears and preference but I'll give it another go by varying the positions of the 3 placements.

I also ran a few times and in the end set-up manually - center and sub were set way too low...

Got to agree with your comments it was the same for me.
Got a different value evry time I ran it and the centre speaker was far to weak and the rear in a 5.1 set up to strong.
I like my main channel sound to just come from the direction of the source and not sound like im in a vacum chamber

FYI, I had lost my post and asked the same/similar question in the "Onkyo 606 Owners Thread" Sorry about that :rolleyes:

As I mentioned there, I unplugged everything and had a single speaker plugged into the amp and I still experience the buzzing sound when I get to the 60-65. I can actually hear the steps of the volume control as I turn it up through the speakers. I'm not sure about it being a ground loop, since only the two-prongs (hot and neutral) are connected to the amp. I also used a test speaker cable from the receiver inputs straight to the speaker (to eliminate electric inductance).

My next step is to take my receiver to another house and try it out. I also wanted to find out if anyone knows how to get it back to factory defaults? I didn't notice it anywhere in the manual. Thanks for the help!

same as for me too, i gave up with it and went back to using my ears and a bit of trial and error. much better results that way IMO.

a nice idea from onkyo, but not well executed

BiiiG problem - help plz - Don't want to blow my amp/speakers!!

Hi All - hope someone can help as I am very worried/confused at the moment and don't want to damage my components..

Whilst watching a film last night at volume -20 (approx), the AV receiver just switched off and the standby light began flashing. Switched it on again to resume - which worked - for a while until the same thing happened again.

Searched the forum/internet to investigate. Came across one source which suggested to check the 'volts/impendance' being outputted from each channel. With the AV receiver being set at 6ohms to drive 8ohms speakers, each channel should be outputting between 5-7 on the multimeter?.

Well this was not the case! This is what I get:

FL : 3.0
C : (-)2.8
FR : 1.3

SL : 6.6
SR : 8.2

This is not due to the speakers but the AV receiver itself. This really does not look right!

Can anyone help/suggest something please?

Many thanks in advance,
Ricky

FYI, I had lost my post and asked the same/similar question in the "Onkyo 606 Owners Thread" Sorry about that :rolleyes:

As I mentioned there, I unplugged everything and had a single speaker plugged into the amp and I still experience the buzzing sound when I get to the 60-65. I can actually hear the steps of the volume control as I turn it up through the speakers. I'm not sure about it being a ground loop, since only the two-prongs (hot and neutral) are connected to the amp. I also used a test speaker cable from the receiver inputs straight to the speaker (to eliminate electric inductance).

My next step is to take my receiver to another house and try it out. I also wanted to find out if anyone knows how to get it back to factory defaults? I didn't notice it anywhere in the manual. Thanks for the help!

An earth loop can be bad but no earth is also bad. Try to earth it once. Two prongs, where are you?

A cable from the inputs to the speaker? Do you mean outputs?

I tried mine tonight.

First I selected my DVD player which is connected by HDMI. With the DVD off, it was silent up to max volume, I was impressed. Even with the DVD on but not playing anything it was silent, again I was impressed.

Next the XBOX input again HDMI. Again silent up to max if the XBOX was off but some noise starting at 80 when the XBOX was on but idle. Presumably, an issue in the XBOX not the Onkyo.

Next the PVR connected by optical. Silent to max when the PVR was off. With the PVR on but at a menu (when it is silent), there was some noise above 80.

Next the TV also connected by optical. Oddly, some noise about 80 even when the TV was off. This is a puzzle, the TV was on standby not unplugged, I wonder if some of it was active. It is hard to see how a mains hum can come in through one optical and not the other. The hum probably does not originate in the amp since the other optical was silent. It can't be picked up by a digital optical cable. So, the hum may originate in the TV and is being digitised by the TV (I know that it has an ADC).

Finally the analogue sources. As is my experience with old analogue amps, quite a bit of noise above 80. The worst was the Aux input, I guess those unterminated RCA sockets at the front were picking up noise.

Are you getting the noise only on analogue sources? Note that I got more noise from the empty Aux sockets than through those that were connected by idle.

I am now a digital convert. Connect your devices digitally, preferably HDMI whenever you can.

I think that I have seen resetting to factory defaults somewhere in the forum but I doubt that this is a settings issue. It is either a strange problem in your house or a faulty amp. It would be expensive but you could get an electrician to check the wiring and earthing in your house. Of course, try the amp in another house first and try a single earth to the amp.

Might be the temperature cut-out, how much clearence does it have at the sides/top?

Glad I'm not alone on that then, my centre speaker was barley audible, and the two rears practically drowned out anything else.
Set it myself now, centre loudest followed by the front left n' right and I've turned down the rears to around about 80.

Now it;s just a case of choosing the best output... how many settings!:eek:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom