Onkyo 606 Pure Audio Problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by wootley, Feb 10, 2009.

Tags:
  1. wootley

wootley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, had my 606 for a few months now and had no problems. Then this happened :

Mate come round and wants to see some Bluray in action, put Dark Knight in the PS3 as normal and start playing the film, looks good as normal, sound as normal, hold on were's the speech gone, can hear everything else.

Try another film, same thing!

Try a PS3 game then, same thing!

Must be the PS3. Master reset, nothing still no speech!

Turn on Xbox 360, same thing!

So must be the Onkyo, the sound option has always been on pure audio, the one were the blue light is on and nothing on the LCD display, had not changed any options it was just like it all of a sudden.

Try reset on Onyko, now my options are gone and I can't remeber how to get pure audio to work, this was the best sound when I set it up so need to get it back to this.

Can anyone help or has my 606 had it?

2. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    What speakers have you got , is it a full 5.1 ( or 7.1 ) set with a center speaker ?

Your original problem sounds like your center speaker got disconnected , and I would have checked the wiring.

If you dont have a center speaker , then somehow the "downmix" option got turned off.

Anyways , listing your speaker setup will help you to get a good answer.

3. wootley

wootley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy, just a 2 speaker set, you reckon I might have to go through all options again?

4. andy1249

andy1249
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,654
    Yes you'll have to follow the setup routine again , with just two speakers you will need to have the downmix option on or you get no dialog , this was most likely your original problem , most blu rays will default to the surround soundtrack and without downmixing that means just the front left and right channels and no dialog.

In the sound setup menu for most movies you can also select a stereo option.

5. wootley

wootley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, think I'll go through the basic set up again tomorrow night and see if I can sort it like you said above, just want my sound back :(

Still wondering how it got like it in the first place? Weird :confused: