Onkyo 606 noob question? doesn't display DD w/ HDMI

cwconrad78

Standard Member
Hello,
I have a new Onkyo 606 and here is my issue. I have a pioneer upconverting DVD player connected to my 606 Via HDMI. When I play movies it shows everything as PCM HDMI DSP.

Now, If i put on the movie Blade 3 which has DTS, go into my dvd menu and turn the soundtrack to play in DTS, my reciever still says PCM HDMI. It doesn't say anything about DTS. This leads me to change the audio format from "auto" to DTS. However, when I do this, nothing happens and no sound comes out even though I am playing a DTS track.

Does HDMI only play PCM and I need an optical or coax digital cable run seperately to get the DD or DTS settings to show on my reciever? is the PCM HDMI better than the DTS and Dolby Digital? I'm confused, please help! :D

Thank you!

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Hello,
I have a new Onkyo 606 and here is my issue. I have a pioneer upconverting DVD player connected to my 606 Via HDMI. When I play movies it shows everything as PCM HDMI DSP.

Now, If i put on the movie Blade 3 which has DTS, go into my dvd menu and turn the soundtrack to play in DTS, my reciever still says PCM HDMI. It doesn't say anything about DTS. This leads me to change the audio format from "auto" to DTS. However, when I do this, nothing happens and no sound comes out even though I am playing a DTS track.

Does HDMI only play PCM and I need an optical or coax digital cable run seperately to get the DD or DTS settings to show on my reciever? is the PCM HDMI better than the DTS and Dolby Digital? I'm confused, please help! :D

Thank you!
Hi cwconrad78. :)
Is your player set to Dolby Digital out or on and not PCM?
All the best.

cwconrad78

Standard Member
Hi cwconrad78. :)
Is your player set to Dolby Digital out or on and not PCM?
All the best.
Hello Kingfats,
The player is set to dolby digital and i make sure that in the dvd menu when I watch a disk that it's set up within the movie under DTS or DD.

With my old sony reciever, it showed DTS or DD 5.1 with this same player but I also had it run through a coax connection with that reciever.

With the Onkyo, it's connected via HDMI and not the coax digital connection. Also, I'm only using two speakers a Front left and a Front right (very nice speakers though). However, that shouldn't stop the DD or DTS processing. It should just put it out in DTS stereo or DD stereo as it process the signal.

kingfats

Distinguished Member
With the Onkyo, it's connected via HDMI and not the coax digital connection. Also, I'm only using two speakers a Front left and a Front right (very nice speakers though). However, that shouldn't stop the DD or DTS processing. It should just put it out in DTS stereo or DD stereo as it process the signal.
Ah,that's your problem :) the sound your getting is correct 2ch PCM Stereo.You need a 5.1 set-up for DD/DTS.
A HDMI or Optical cable will have no bearing on this.
Cheers.

cwconrad78

Standard Member
Ah,that's your problem :) the sound your getting is correct 2ch PCM Stereo.You need a 5.1 set-up for DD/DTS.
A HDMI or Optical cable will have no bearing on this.
Cheers.
Hmmmm, that can't be it. I have tried DD 2.0 stereo with one of my LOST DVD's. It still showed as PCM. Also, if I look in the owners manual it shows that DD/DTS should still work even with two speakers. If it needs a 5.1 or 7.1 setup, there is a little star by it with a footnote advising this. It doesn't have that. I'm starting to wonder if my DVD player does not send DD/DTS over HDMI and will only do it over digital coax/optical?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom