Onkyo 606 and Sky + box

ram5e5

Standard Member
I have just got an Onkyo 606 :D and the kind fellas at the shop I bought it from sent me a quick set up guide. In their guide they say that to get the best picture and audio from Sky +, I should use s-video for the picture and optical cable for the sound. I was using scart previously straight from the Sky + box into the telly (samsung 46" 1080p) and the picture wasn't too bad really, but I was all excited too see how the Onkyo would upscale and give me near HD quality....

I put the s-video lead in (to the CBL/SAT input) and after some menu changes on the Onkyo to pick up the input (which didn't seem very obvious as there is no reference in the menu system of s-video input), I eventually got a picture - and it's rubbish compared to the scart lead! The colours are really bright, the picture quality is nowhere near as good as the one through the scart lead, and the Sky menu system is much more blurry than before.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I may have done wrong? Anyone had success with the same set-up yet?

The sound is fine by the way, but I'm not sure how to get 5.1 coming through from Sky either?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

ram5e5

sp_harris

For dolby digital sound from Sky+ you need an optical cable from sky box to amp, then go into the settings in the sky service menus and change the audio output settings to be dolby. Sorry can't remember the exact name/label, but it should be obvious.

Regarding the picture, I don't know your amp, but I would exect a decent scart lead direct to the tv to be better than an S-video going through the amp. My understanding is that an S-video signal is worse than scart. the only reason to send Sky+ video through the amp would be to simplify the switching, if this really matters to you then maybe get a scart to component convertor or get sky hd, otherwise leave the sky plugged into the tv directly.

Also you will only get dolbly digital sound from sky on certain channels and certain programmes, most are just in stereo so your amp will do dolby pro logic 2. Movie channels are usually broadcast in Dolby Digital.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Agree, leave your direct connection with RGB SCART and forget about routing the video through the amp. Unless you need to (upconversion, single cable output etc.) I woudn't bother.

spaceman763

Novice Member
Interesting thread... just made me realise that I need to spend an extra £70 on a RGB to Component converter! Damn. I plan on having a plasma and pj connected to an amp and for ease of switching cannot connect sky directly to the tv. Oh well:rolleyes:

bobsplace

Interesting thread... just made me realise that I need to spend an extra £70 on a RGB to Component converter! Damn. I plan on having a plasma and pj connected to an amp and for ease of switching cannot connect sky directly to the tv. Oh well:rolleyes:
Try the s-video,if source is set up correctly you will get a pleasant surprise.Its a "missed" connection as far as users go and I find it as good as scart.

onkeh

Novice Member
It's technically inferior in terms of picture quality and also missing features such as auto source-switching and auto-wide. Then again you lose those features anyway if going through an AVR so whatever.

bigfecker

I put the s-video lead in (to the CBL/SAT input) and after some menu changes on the Onkyo to pick up the input (which didn't seem very obvious as there is no reference in the menu system of s-video input), I eventually got a picture - and it's rubbish compared to the scart lead! The colours are really bright, the picture quality is nowhere near as good as the one through the scart lead, and the Sky menu system is much more blurry than before.
Can you tell me what settings you used in the menus to get the s-video in from the sky+ box to output to HDMI, as I cant get this to work it - is it possible?

pythons

Novice Member
Can you tell me what settings you used in the menus to get the s-video in from the sky+ box to output to HDMI, as I cant get this to work it - is it possible?
I did it this morning and the picture really isn't very good, I'm going to continue using RGB scart. :(

But in answer to your question you connect the s-video lead from the sky+ box to one of the the s-video inputs on the amp, then ensure your TV is on the HDMI channel (so you can see the amp OSD etc when in setup) and as long as your amp is on the correct input the picture automatically outputs. The sky+ box outputs RGB and s-video at the same time. There aren't any settings you need to change on the Onkyo (well apart from assigning the optical audio input IF you're using it). :)

On mine for example I have optical going to OPT1 and s-video to CBL/SAT then I put my TV onto the HDMI channel and switch the amp to CBL/SAT selector and I see my horrible pulsating sky picture.

Mark

ram5e5

Standard Member
Cheers all for your input.

Bigfecker, I did the same as pythons to get the picture coming through - BUT - it only worked on CBL/SAT input!? When I tried other inputs I couldn't get a picture at all. Also, I changed the Component Video input in the 'input Assign Menu' to '-----' and the picture suddenly appeared. But all this is academic as the quality is crap as pythons says anyway! I can't believe I rushed out and spent 15 quid on an s-video cable yesterday! ..and I can't even sell it for a tenner on ebay.

I figured out the Dolby Digital bit on the Sky + box (cheers sp harris) but I have a further question: what's the best setting on the Onkyo 606 to pick this sound up on, or should/could the amp autodetect?

Will the 606 autodetect the best sound quality when playing a blu-ray disc on my PS3 through HDMI?

Cheers.

Rolling Sly

I'm having the exact same dilemma! I was all excited about only having to run 1 HDMI cable to my TV and running ALL picture and sound through the amp whilst upscaling SD Sky+ to 1080i.

Well, the harsh reality hit when I tested S-video vs SCART running straight to my TV using a friends S-video cable and noticed that S-video is inferior to SCART.

In all fairness I haven't actually tested it running through the amp with upscaling as I hadn't actually got the amp at that point, but I doubt it will be able to improve the PQ much as the signal running through the S-video cable is rubbish.

Maybe I will borrow my mates cable again just to see what the upscaling is like but I was wondering if there's much difference in PQ between cheap S-video and better quality leads?

BBunter

Novice Member
I'm having the exact same dilemma! I was all excited about only having to run 1 HDMI cable to my TV and running ALL picture and sound through the amp whilst upscaling SD Sky+ to 1080i.

Well, the harsh reality hit when I tested S-video vs SCART running straight to my TV using a friends S-video cable and noticed that S-video is inferior to SCART.

In all fairness I haven't actually tested it running through the amp with upscaling as I hadn't actually got the amp at that point, but I doubt it will be able to improve the PQ much as the signal running through the S-video cable is rubbish.

Maybe I will borrow my mates cable again just to see what the upscaling is like but I was wondering if there's much difference in PQ between cheap S-video and better quality leads?
RGB scart IS better than s-video but not by much.

I have my sky+ going via s-video to the amp and then out via HDMI to my tv.

Don’t get carried away with upscaling tho...don’t forget your TV will already be upscaling any input it gets to its maximum resolution anyway.

Now, upscaling varies in quality allot. The comparison will be does you tv upscale the picture better than the 606?

The great thing about the 606 is it allows all inputs to be output via the hdmi cable so only 1 cable is running to your tv.

If this feature is not really of interest to you (your cables are well hidden and onscreen display is not needed etc) then I would simply go RGB scart to the tv direct and optical to amp.

ram5e5

Standard Member
For the record, my tv is a samsung LE46m87bdx and the upscaling is MILES better by using a good quality RGB scart lead (don't forget to set your SKY plus box to output RGB not PAL).

The picture quality going Sky plus -> S-video -> 606 -> HDMI -> tv is MILES worse.

So to answer BBunter's question, it would appear the Samsung upscaling works better than the Onkyo 606's in this case.

onkeh

Novice Member
Has anyone tried RGB -> component route and can comment on the quality?

tutu

Crap in == crap out :rotfl:

You might as well get a HD box. You know you deserve it :)

BBunter

Novice Member
Has anyone tried RGB -> component route and can comment on the quality?
I am wondering if that is the route to go.

I dont like the svideo from my sky+ box.

I was tempted to give it a go but the cost is high.

http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/753
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=35810

both look like they will do the job, I also see QED do a converter.

I have nothing against maplin but I do wonder if the first one would be a better quality.

That said 115 quid plus 5 delivery is the same as paying robbin bugger Rupert Murdoch an additional 10 quid month for HD for 12 months. With the analog switch off next year and freesat HD contect on its way I am sure sky will drop the £10 sub soon.

There was talk of getting a HD box from sky for £99 quid...what to do.

If you dont have movies and sports there is not really allot of HD content.

Will think some more on it ;)

spaceman763

Novice Member
I am wondering if that is the route to go.

I dont like the svideo from my sky+ box.

I was tempted to give it a go but the cost is high.

http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/753
http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=FAQ&ModuleNo=35810

both look like they will do the job, I also see QED do a converter.

I have nothing against maplin but I do wonder if the first one would be a better quality.

That said 115 quid plus 5 delivery is the same as paying robbin bugger Rupert Murdoch an additional 10 quid month for HD for 12 months. With the analog switch off next year and freesat HD contect on its way I am sure sky will drop the £10 sub soon.

There was talk of getting a HD box from sky for £99 quid...what to do.

If you dont have movies and sports there is not really allot of HD content.

Will think some more on it ;)
Whats the difference between the £100+ converter linked above and this cheap little device off ebay for £6.45...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-SCART-TO-RGB-COMPONENT-VIDEO-LCD-CABLE-LEAD_W0QQitemZ150245458819QQihZ005QQcategoryZ32837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Probably a really stupid question I know.......:oops:

onkeh

Novice Member
Crap in == crap out :rotfl:

You might as well get a HD box. You know you deserve it :)
The problem is all the stuff that goes out in HD is just new shows like Heroes and Lost that I have absolutely no interest in. I'm not a sports watcher and I currently have a LoveFilm subscription, which means I would have to cancel that and get the Sky movies package to get any HD programming! Plus of course the extra tenner a month and the 200 for the box!

zero7

I'll further complicate this debate, I've just purchaed a 606 and Pan 50" plasma.

My conenctions were Sky+ Scart to JS Converter box which then had a comp out to my pioneer AV amp, which in turn had a comp out to comp in on the new Plasma.

I have tried replaced the Pioneer Av amp to the 606 and the comp connection has been replaced with a HDMI cable from the 606 to the Plasma.

The picture is shocking, somthing is not right as the images are very badly blurred and the top 5" of the picture is hard to make out.

Anyone know if this is a feasible way to connect? I will be going Sky HD in a few weeks time.

BBunter

Novice Member
Whats the difference between the £100+ converter linked above and this cheap little device off ebay for £6.45...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10M-SCART-TO-RGB-COMPONENT-VIDEO-LCD-CABLE-LEAD_W0QQitemZ150245458819QQihZ005QQcategoryZ32837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Probably a really stupid question I know.......:oops:
Not a stupid question at all...this cable is giving your RGB as 3 lines instead of 1 scart connector...but this is not Component (YUV) which is what we need as per the pic here http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/product/753

BB

Hi guys have been reading this post with interest. i feel that scart is prob better in all honesty. However, at present im in desperate need to go s video, because since moving my gear on to new racks my scarts are all to short.
I dont want to waste my money getting new scart as i plan to get hd sky box soon. However, until then i really need to get my system working through s video, and it just aint happening. Have tried all the assigning, and am just getting sound ( through optical) and blue screen on lcd.
would really appreciate some help here lads of a breakdown of how to set this up, cheers steve

Dont worry guys, ive sorted it:D

However, just as you have all been saying the pic compared to my profigold scart is appalling:thumbsdow

Dont think i can live with this and am going to have to get buy a longer scart:suicide:

Ok guys so i was just about to purchase a new 3 m scart to scart to connect from my sky to tv, but then i saw the scart to 'component video', which i could run from sky box to onky:rolleyes:
Does anybody know how these fair, in comparison to running a scart from sky box direct to tv?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 28th October 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett