Onkyo 606 7.1 speakers odd setup for 5.1

deanmm

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have trawled the forums looking for an answer to this rather unusual problem, but I haven't found an answer, so I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable people might be able to help me out!

I recently added 2 extra speakers to my setup (I use q acoustics) to make it 7.1. This fantastic when I use 7.1 blu-rays (which I play through my ps3 slim via HDMI bitstream). BUT when I watch a 5.1 movie (which is the majority!) The onkyo seems to have a bizarre system where it plays the surround channels through the 'side' speakers and not the rear!!! This makes absolutely no sense. Surely a 5.1 surround rear signal should play through the rear speakers and not the ones at the side (or maybe through both). I have checked that all my speakers are wired up correctly and they are all done according to the manual

I have fiddled with the seup as much as I can, but can't seem to resolve this one.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Thanks

Really all surround channels are rear. Although you use the word side, these speakers should not be infront of the listening position. They may be at the side more or less level with the listening position. The two further rear speakers then being further back in the middle. I think your instruction manual will have a diagram of this.

bow79 said:
Really all surround channels are rear. Although you use the word side, these speakers should not be infront of the listening position. They may be at the side more or less level with the listening position. The two further rear speakers then being further back in the middle. I think your instruction manual will have a diagram of this.

Yes, I understand this.and that's how my speakers are set up. But surely when it down mixes to 5.1 it should either use the rear speakers or duplicate the signal in both? It seems to do this on my brothers Sony amp.

The only way to do this (and the only way the sony amp is doing this) is by enabling one of the matrixing options, like PL2x or Neo. Try pl2.... the results are pretty good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom