Onkyo 605 & XBox problem - no display

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by HardkorePrawn, Jan 11, 2008.

1. HardkorePrawn

HardkorePrawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I bought an Onkyo 605 yesterday to tidy up my multi-console setup.
    Have everything setup nicely - 360 and PS3 via HDMI, PS2, DVD player and original XBox via component. Samsung 32" LCD is connected via HDMI out.
    Everything works with the exception of the original XBox, which displays no image on the set. It's not the cables, as going directly from the XBox to the set gives a perfect display. It's not the ports on the Onkyo, as plugging something else into the same ports gives a display.

I'm stumped, so, any ideas would be gratefully received.
    I've posted a link to this post in the AV receiver forum as well, but, can all replies be posted in the XBox forum? Thanks in advance :)

2. bviking

bviking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I have a similar setup.

I assume you have already enabled the hd display modes (via xbox dash) because you said you get a picture going straight from the xbox to the screen.

Therefore sounds like an input assignment issue on the 605. From memory I hooked up the component leads from xbox to the "game/tv" input on the 605 then had to assign the input via one of the HDMI menus.

Sorry I can't be more specific without checking my system!

Cheers

3. HardkorePrawn

HardkorePrawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If I plug in something else to the same outputs, I get a display, so, it's something between the XBox and the 605, I just can't figure what...

4. TobyL

TobyL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If youre using xbmc, go into the standard microsoft dashboard and check its set to output through the component, if youre just xbmc, check all settings

5. bviking

bviking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    have you figured this out yet?

have you double checked that your xbox is in ntsc mode and all the hd modes are enabled in the msdash?

only thing I can think of is the Onkyo is being confused by the res being sent by the xbox ...

6. BoraInc

BoraInc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got onkyo 605 and setup my xbox happiliy, but I have the display problem.

I tried out all the possibilities and it is related to xbox, xbox just disables the display outboot after booting. (no matter what the output cable is composite, hdtv)

source of my display problem is just because of audio cable. it is stupid but just remove optical cable and reboto xbox, it works.

I will continue googling to look for resolution otherwise I'll go to Microsoft.

7. HardkorePrawn

HardkorePrawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't really tried again to be honest, as I couldn't see an answer - I connected the XBox directly to the TV as a stop gap.
    The console is definitely set to (and outputting) 720p, but, no joy with going through the 605...
    Interesting about the comment with the optical, I was using optical, I'll maybe give it a go with it unplugged and see what that results in.