Onkyo 605 with 7.1, PS3, and 5.1 sound track

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jwlawler, Jun 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have an Onkyo 605. Normally I have 5.1 speakers connected but occasionally I borrow a pair of speakers from another room and set up 7.1.

I don't currently have any 7.1 sources. I have Pan's Labyrinth on HD DVD which I believe is 7.1 but my only player is the XBOX HD add-on hence I still can't get 7.1. So, I used modes such as PLIIx which, for some discs at least, gives a nice effect.

I have just borrowed a PS3 and some BluRay discs for a couple of days to help me decide whether to get a PS3 or other BluRay player. I am playing the TrueHD or other high quality audio tracks so the amp is showing multichannel. Normally it shows 5.1 but it did show 7.1 once which is a bit of a puzzle since the extra speakers are not currently connected.

I won't have time to connect the extra speakers and try 7.1 with the PS3 before I must return it.

Here's the question. Suppose I get the PS3 and run it in this multichannel mode to get the best quality. If the disc is only 5.1 will I be able to select one of the extension modes to get the extra speakers active?

I have read discussion of this somewhere in the forum but I can't find it now. It may be buried in the huge 605 owner's thread. I think that most people said that it could not be done but one person said that it could.

2. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,626
    Hi jwlawler. :)
    Yes :smashin: if it shows as 7.1 on the amp,that's the signal it's receiving. :)
    All the best.

3. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks, but that still leaves the question of when I am getting a 5.1 signal, how can I select a mode, such as PLIIx, which invents the extra channels?

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,626
    I don't have an Onkyo sorry :( no doubt someone will post which mode it is to up-mix a 5.1 track. :smashin:

5. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    You could set the PS3 to bitsream and use the pseudo settings ... but that kind of defeats the idea of HD audio.

6. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Yes, that would be a difficult choice: stay in PCM mode and get the higher quality but only 5.1 or drop to a lower quality and get 7.1.

However. I am reasonably sure that I read of a solution somewhere in the forum but now I can't find it.

7. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks. As I said to berkeley384, I think that I have read the answer here but I can't find it now. At the time, I did not have the PS3 so I could not immediately try it. After tomorrow, I won't want a PS3 (the loaned machine will be returned) until I get around to buying one. Or maybe, I will go for a standalone player, e.g. the Samsung BD P1400 and the question will be irrelevant. I have no interest in gaming. I am only considering a PS3 as a BluRay player and media player.

8. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I did some more searching and found the post that I was thinking of. It seems to be by you, berkeley384, in a thread called "PS3 / 605 question" started by tabs on 29/05. You said: "Honest gov , if if you want to use the pseudo sounds from a PS3 the pres and hold digital input and cycle round to PCM and then the amp wil let you chose which ever sound opion you want". This sounds like what I want, did I misunderstand it?

9. missinglink

missinglink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I have a 606 and the manual states that with DTS-HD Ma and DolbyTrue-HD sources you can use the Dolby PLII(x)Movie listening mode to get '7.1'.

It also states 'cannot be selected with some sources' as well, but does not give any details.

But it seems as though the answer is yes.

If you go onto the Onkyo website and find the 605 manual it should confirm this. I don't think the 605/606 differ in this area, but I'm not sure.

10. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211

Hello Mate

That was just for 2 channel CD audio, I cant confirm that that will work with Multichannel PCM audio - I will try it and report back to you but I dont think it will work :smashin:

11. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    On my 605 - If you cycle through the sound options when listening to Multichannel PCM you cannot select PLII Movie etc - I'm thinking that the manual is reffering to this being possible if you are bitstreaming DTS Master Audio to the amp with the amp doing the decoding.... Thoughts ? :smashin:

12. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211

Crikey Im quoting myself now, does that make me mad :confused:

Ok, so I popped in a blu ray, set the PS3 to LPCM, - pressed and held digital input - changed from AUTO to PCM and it lets me select the pseudo settings ...so I suppose it does work .... still wouldnt do it though :thumbsdow

13. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks.

So, if you have a 7.1 system but don't like these extension modes when do your rear surrounds get used? There aren't many 7.1 discs are there? I find that they seem to work well enough with some discs and not others.

14. aussben

aussben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing to be aware with the ps3, it does not handle true bitstream it will internally decode it and pass it on as LPCM.

I have a Denon avr-2808 and was dissappointed to find that the amp was not switching to DTS-HD. I decided to get a dedicated blu-ray player also to play any region dvd's and upscale them. The amp instantly switched over to DTS-HD and I could notice an improvement in the sound.

Maybe a hardware limitation with the ps3 or might be fixed in later firmware upgrades, I tried selecting lpcm and bitstream, it was displaying DTS-HD on the screen when playing the blu-ray, but did not pass on the raw bitstream.

15. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,626
    Hi aussben. :)
    It's hardware limited,makes no difference though :) as HD audio is lossless :cool: so decoded @ the player or the amp,will be of the same quality. :smashin:
    All the best.

16. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i dont think the 605 will matrix 5.1 into 7.1 using prologic, however i am pretty sure the 606 will. However i would think if you get a bluray player that will output the hd audio in bitstream format your 605 will decode the hd audio and also allow you to matrix 5.1 into 7.1 So in short with a ps3 and your 605 you cant matrix 5.1 into 7.1.

17. jwlawler

jwlawler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    There are modes in the 605 to matrix 5.1 to 7.1 for example PL IIx. This will take 2.0 or 5.1 source and matrix it to 7.1. These work if the amp knows that it is getting a 5.1 source. The question is whether they will work when it is getting a LPCM multichannel input which is only 5.1. I guess that I will have to try to borrow a PS3 again and set up the extra speakers while I have it