Onkyo 605 Vs Onkyo 505

JUICE690

What would I be missing out on if I went for the 505? I've just bought a Panasonic 42 PX70 Plasma and want to kit it out with a decent surround sound system.

I'm trying to keep my budget to around £500 with speakers but if I 'm going to be missing out on to much not going for the 605 i may have to stretch it a little.

My living rooms 20 x 13ft in size

Oh and any suggestions regarding speakers to go with it would be ace.

Ta for any info.

rwniel

Search is your friend :) - At the risk of blowing my own trumpet have a look at this thread which discusses the differences. You didn't mention sources which would be a factor.

Robert

JUICE690

Ta for the Link bud just having a read through now.

My sources at the moment are Xbox360 / Nintendo wii / Sky, and in the future possibly a PS3 for blue ray.

chic

Distinguished Member
Ta for the Link bud just having a read through now.

My sources at the moment are Xbox360 / Nintendo wii / Sky, and in the future possibly a PS3 for blue ray.

if you are getting a ps3 for bluray then you want the 605, then you can listen to the hd audio such as dolby true hd and uncompressed pcm from bluray discs, if you go with the 505 you are stuck with standard 5.1. HD audio is a big improvement on standard digital audio.

sum-av

Standard Member
Hi There,

But can't this be done with the optical input connection from HD DVD, blue ray, ps3 to onkyo 505.

Please comment as I am new to all these things.

MarkTaylor

No, optical doesn't have the bandwidth to handle the HD formats so it has to go over HDMI or if the player has 5.1 or 7.1 analogue outputs and the amp has the equivalent analogue inputs you can go that way but the PS3 doesn't have them so it has to use HDMI for HD sound.

sum-av

Standard Member
Thanks for your kind suggestion, I will have a look. Is there any place where i can get it cheaper than 399. One more thing I thinking of buying Tannoy EFX5.1 speakers to go along with 605. Are they ok, or you suggest something else.

Cheers for your help.

marty2005

I always thought that optical was capable of handling hd sound since it is travelling at the speed of light not because of bandwidth.

It has to go through hdmi because of hdcp so you can't copy the sound track.

That is what hdmi really is and they wished they had invented that for dvd.

MarkTaylor

I always thought that optical was capable of handling hd sound since it is travelling at the speed of light not because of bandwidth.

It has to go through hdmi because of hdcp so you can't copy the sound track.

That is what hdmi really is and they wished they had invented that for dvd.

You are confusing the speed capabilities of the link material with the bandwidth of the link specification.

Optical fibre can handle considerably more than we ever use it for in Hi-Fi applications but the hardware you need to put on the ends of the fibre to do that has a considerable cost attached to it.

For our purposes it was originally limited to 3.1 Mbit/s then increased to 125 Mbit/s but it can't support the needs of Dolby Digital Plus, TrueHD and DTS HD

B

barton3112

What would I be missing out on if I went for the 505? I've just bought a Panasonic 42 PX70 Plasma and want to kit it out with a decent surround sound system.

I'm trying to keep my budget to around £500 with speakers but if I 'm going to be missing out on to much not going for the 605 i may have to stretch it a little.

My living rooms 20 x 13ft in size

Oh and any suggestions regarding speakers to go with it would be ace.

Ta for any info.

I have just upgraded from the 505 to the 605 last week and all I can say is that the 605 sounds better and is more user friendly with all its extra connection possibilities. I know its an extra £150 but it is worth it !!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom