Onkyo 605 - PS3 bitstream issue

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by annihilation, Jan 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. annihilation

annihilation
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey all,

I have set up my PS3 to output bitstream to my Onkyo 605 via HDMI, it sends the signal to the Onkyo fine, and displays a dts or dolby symbol but no sound comes out, and the display has a garbled message. I find sometimes the codec gets decoded fine, for example: The menu is in stereo and doesnt decode, but when I start the film and get 5.1 after restarting the amp I get sound fine. This doesnt work for DTS though, it just stays silent with a garbled display. I have the latest firmware on the amp, and have tried many settings to fix this.

Has anyone else had this issue, or do you think I need to speak direct to Onkyo?

Regards,
    Bryan

2. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Bryan,

That's an interesting quirk for sure. I would do a factory reset first, which you do by holding down "VCR/DVR" when the unit is on, and then pressing the standby button. The display should show "Clear" and then switch off. This does however mean you will need to make all your settings again.

If this does not fix it, you need to go back to your dealer.

3. bravogolf

bravogolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I don't have a PS3 so can't help that much but see the comments here, should be of some assistance :)

4. badd-az

badd-az

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

When i set my PS3 up to my amp the display and sound would come up on the tv and through the speakers but after 5 mins i would lose the signal to the amp.

after 4 hrs of messing about i narrowed the problem down to the HDMI lead i was using which was by cambridge audio

Replaced the lead the nxt day with an Ixos HDMI lead and i have not had a problem since.

Hope that helps

5. Isle of wight

Isle of wight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've just received my PS3 and have connected it to my Onkyo 605 via HDMi. My understanding is that it can't send bitstream via HDMi only PCM and therefore needs to be set up accordingly. I also have a Toshiba EP30 which is the same. Both convert the surround internally and the amp displays Multichannel surround....it wont display DD or DTS. the only way you'll know what you've selected is by the disc menu. You also need to make sure that the amps HDMi settings are correct so that it doesn't send the sound to your TV.

6. badd-az

badd-az

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18

aahhh,

I was also wondering why it only plays through multi channel surround.

Thanks for that

7. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    This only applies to HD audio though, regular (legacy) Dolby Digital or DTS is fine over bitstream, via optical or HDMI.

8. annihilation

annihilation
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for the ideas guys.

I came up with my own solution, that isn't perfect but seems to work. I set the PS3 to LPCM and then change the listening mode to anything but direct or pure (and one other iirc) and then switch back to bitstream and restart all the devices.

It appears that some modes cause this bug, so I think I will (when I get time) try a full reset and if that doesn't help, I will go back to the dealer.

It is a pain though as every codec has to be done or it errors.