Onkyo 605 & Pioneer 428XD

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by GAITSY, Jan 17, 2008.

1. GAITSY

GAITSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After spending a number of days reading the opinions of many on this site, I have just celebrated two years without a cigarette by shelling out for a Pioneer 428xd, Onkyo TSXR605 & set of AEGOT speakers. Swapped one addiction for what seems another!
    Got a good price through a connection but will have to wait 6 weeks. If anyone's got the time can I have some advice on what cables/speaker wire to get and how best to connect up Sky Plus 160 & Samsung DVD recorder so I can have a plan for it's arrival. Want to get it up on the wall with the cables hidden. :lease:

2. GAITSY

GAITSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spotted a very similar thread a couple below....sorry. However, my Sky plus + DVD don not allow HDMI connections. I'll probably put two HDMI cables in the wall for future upgrades. How about now...optical from both to the amplifier but what to the TV? Whatever they'll be they'll have to be approx. 2.5 metres long.

3. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    The Pioneer 428XD has both optical and analogue audio outputs. You might as well use the digital as you still have 1 optical input left on the 605. I doubt you will use the TV's tuner if you have sky+ though. If your DVD recorder has both optical and co-axial I would use digi-coax instead of optical as a) I prefer coax over optical and b) games consoles etc. tend to use optical so you might as well use the coax input for something. It wouldn't do any harm to run a set of cheap analogue (RCA phono) cables as well but if you want to keep the cabling stick to the optical for the TV to the amp. If you are chasing the cables in the wall, it's recommended to run cat5/6 ethernet cables as well for future use.

Obviously if you route all your video connections to the 605 it will upconvert them to HDMI, so you could get away with just using HDMI to the TV rather than using SCART which is an outgoing connection. To do this, you would need to convert the RGB output from the sky+ using a RGB SCART to component converter box such as the QED or JS-Technology ones. You can use S-Video from sky+ to the amp as well but I don't know how good the picture is. What connections are available on your DVD?
    Up to you.

4. GAITSY

GAITSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks ever so much for your comprehensive reply. Shows I have much to learn.
    My DVD is a Samsung R128 with2 x scart, S video and component video output jacks.
    So let's see if I've got this right...
    Everything goes into the 605 to start with. Then one HDMI takes the pictures (and improves them?) to the TV and an optical cable will bring the Freeview sound back to the receiver.
    For sending video from sky+ & Dvd - I should try component and S video.
    I think I've got it but if the only cables behind the wall are the HDMI cable (I might run an extra one for future), an optical (or phono cables) and an ethernet connection then I can do this and worry about the rest later as the connections from the SK and DVD to the 605 will be behind the cabinet.
    Phew! I need a fag!
    Cheers to you davepuma.

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    That sounds about right. HDMI can't improve the picture as it is simply a connection type capable of handling higher bandwidth (high definition) video and audio. If the picture isn't good from the output, it can't be improved upon.

Just make sure you test all the cables before installing them in the wall. Component for the DVD and S-Video from sky+ to the amp and one HDMI will enable you to route everything via the AV Receiver using the AV Receiver as a switch. Try S-Video on sky+ first, if it's not up to expectations, then the RGB SCART to component converter box would be the next course of action. Alternatively install a direct SCART connection from the sky+ box to the TV but if you're considering Sky HD in the future, it would probably be a waste of time. I've never seen S-Video from sky+ so I can't comment on how good the picture is. I have seen composite output (via VCR SCART) and RGB from my own sky box and the difference is night and day. I use a direct connection from my sky box to the CRT and as I said route it via the DVD recorder and av receiver for the projector.

6. GAITSY

GAITSY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again. I think I'll follow your advice but also postpone the cable work in the wall until I have everything running smoothly. Some of them cables are not cheap...the QED at £60 may be better spent towards a Sky HD box and I would be mighty cheesed off if I had to start pulling cables out of the wall and replacing them.
    :thumbsup: