Onkyo 605 or 705?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Inked, Jan 19, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Been thinking of getting rid of my old Sony amp and getting a receiver (gonna use current Sony speakers and sub - already confirmed by Onkyo that they can be used) until I can afford to upgrade them.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on which out of the 605 and 705 I should go for with my current setup (see Sig) as i'm not sure whether to keep my Thor for switching HDMI (Think I would then lose some benefits of improved sound from the Onkyo) or to use the receiver for switching.

Any advice would be appreciated :lease:

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If you need 4 HDMI, I would look at an av receiver with at least 3 HDMI in-1 output which rules out the 605. That way you can connect sky hd direct to the TV as it uses optical for audio output and everything else can switch via the av receiver on HDMI in addition to processing the audio.

If your current HDMI switch passes the signal through ok I suppose you could still use it but I don't think it's 1.3 compliant.

3. Inked

Inked
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    Cheers, thats what I was thinking.

I haven't been able to find any info on the Thor switcher so was leaning towards the 705 for its 3rd HDMI input.

4. xs2man

xs2man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I too had that dilema, but managed to get my 705 for 500 quid. Bargain.

Never looked back. Can't tell you the difference between the 2 now though, coz I never demo'd any of them, just took the plunge and went for the 705 without any amp demos.