• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 605 Optma Hd720x And Sky Setup Help Plz

essex_gezza

Standard Member
HI THERE GUYS

I HAVE THE FOLLOWING SETUP

ONKYO 605 AV RECIVER

OPTMA HD720X PROJECTOR
SPEAKERS JAMO Jamo JA-A102HCS5

NAD A NORMAL SKY BOX (NOT SKY PLUS OR HD)

HOW DO I CONNECT MY SKY BOX TO MY AV RECIVER AS THERE IS NO SCART AND NO HDMI CABLE ON THE BACK OF THE SKY BOX OR EVEN AN OPTICAL IM REALLY AT A LOST WITH THIS CAN U GUYS HELP ME AS IM DYING TO WATCH SKY ON MY PROJECTOR WITH A SCREEN AS BIG AS MY WALL ALSO CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO GET GD SPEAKER WIRE FOR MY JAMO SETUP BASED IN THE UK AND AT A GOOD PRICE AS MUCH HELP AS U CAN GUYS IM A NOVICE IN THIS LINE HAPPY NEW YEAR AND THANKS FOR THE HELP IN ADVANCE :lease:

D

Deleted member 380232

Think you will need to use composite cables ( the red, white and yellow) for the Sky box.

Not sure abut speaker wires.

rwniel

The standard Sky box doesn't have that many connection options so you're a bit limited - a Sky+ or Sky HD box is better in that regard (as you can use component/hdmi video directly into the 605). Unfortunately, composite probably won't look that good blown up through a projector. One option is to set your Sky box to make sure it's outputing RGB SCART and then use a component connection coverter like this one. Otherwise consider upgrading to Sky+ or Sky HD.

Soundwise, again you're a bit limited with a standard Sky box - you'll have to use the standard RCA connectors on the back using a pair of phono cables like this. If you're going to be sticking with composite, then you can take the sound out of the scart connector on the back of the Sky box (using a single cable like this one outputing both video and sound). Because the standard Sky box doesn't have an optical digital output for surround you'll have to set the Onkyo 605 to Prologic II; you'll get a form of surround sound through all the speakers.

For speaker cable try something like this or the cheaper Gale Symphony 100. You'll need a cable to connect up your sub to the Onkyo 605 as well; it has a phono connector on both ends i.e. like this one.

Robert

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom