Onkyo 605 - is this what I need?

newtothis

Standard Member
Advice needed - hifi for music and 5.1 surround for movies

Looking to buy an amp/reciever and also speakers to go with it and need some expert advice please? This certainly seems the best place to get it from!

Looked at Onkyo 605 for amp and for speakers either Jamo A102hcss or Tannoy SFX 5.1. I have a budget of around 400-750 for both items.

At this stage looking to play music and also watch movies utilising the amp and speakers but later this year going to buy a LCD 40" TV (looked at Sony Bravia 3000) and Sony 250gb DVD/HD to add to set up.

Longer term I want a way to get rid of some of the clutter in my CD racks (900+ cd's) so was hoping could go down the route of streaming music/digital?! (ie external hard drive or something?! help?!). Therefore whatever amp I go for needs to offer this capability at a later date.

Speakers need to be reasonably small but good power and clarity on music. Really don't want floor standers but happy with small speakers on stands.

Could you tell me whether the Onkyo 605 will serve my purpose (ie all necessary connections etc) or do you recommend something else? Also what do you think to the Jamo or Tannoy with this set up?

Please help me - :lease: I have been researching for about 2 months and am getting more confused the more I read!!!
Thanks

Kryptix

Novice Member
I can't help you with the speakers, but the 605 will easily do everything you want, and more... For streaming purposes, you'll need a streaming device (PS3/Xbox 360/PC/Media Centre, etc). You just stream it to a input on the 605 from whatever device you choose.

The 605 is amazing for the price. :smashin:

newtothis

Standard Member
Thanks very much - didn't see your first post and was getting disillusioned. Really want to get system sorted but want to make sure spending my money wisely. Are there enough of the right connections I need for all the various equipment.

Estimate of equipment
Full HDMI TV
DVD/HD (will play CD's through this too - although you will probably recommend to get separate cd!)
External Hard drive to store all music, videos & photos
Streaming device

Another questions - ipod/mp3 connection - does the Onkyo 605 support this?

Thanks very much for your advice

Kryptix

Novice Member
Thanks very much - didn't see your first post and was getting disillusioned. Really want to get system sorted but want to make sure spending my money wisely. Are there enough of the right connections I need for all the various equipment.

Estimate of equipment
Full HDMI TV
DVD/HD (will play CD's through this too - although you will probably recommend to get separate cd!)
External Hard drive to store all music, videos & photos
Streaming device

Another questions - ipod/mp3 connection - does the Onkyo 605 support this?

Thanks very much for your advice
The 605 easily has enough connections for your needs...

The 605 will plug into your TV via HDMI. DVD will plug into the 605 via HDMI (or component AND a optical cable), and the hard drive will need to be plugged into a streaming device as I mentioned before.

You can't just plug a hard drive into the 605... It's like trying to play a DVD with the 605 without a DVD player. You need a device to stream the content to the 605, so either a PS3/Xbox 360/PC/HTPC, etc...

The 605 supports the Onkyo iPod Dock, so yes, the 605 is fine with handling that type of connection.

newtothis

Standard Member
Fantastic - looks like I will be hitting the shops very soon.

I take it from your post that I would have to buy a separate Onkyo docking station to add to the amp?

Your comment re streamer makes much more sense now thanks but what is a HTPC? I thought a streamer was things like Squeezebox, SONOS etc? Am I being totally dumb here? Also any recommendation on a good external hard drive (around 500gb)?

Thanks again

Kryptix

Novice Member
Fantastic - looks like I will be hitting the shops very soon.

I take it from your post that I would have to buy a separate Onkyo docking station to add to the amp?

Your comment re streamer makes much more sense now thanks but what is a HTPC? I thought a streamer was things like Squeezebox, SONOS etc? Am I being totally dumb here? Also any recommendation on a good external hard drive (around 500gb)?

Thanks again
Yep, you'll need a separate docking station. I'm not sure how much they are, but I was looking into getting one when I get my iPod.

HTPC = Home Theatre PC. It can do anything you want really... Stream/store music/video, play Blu-ray/HD-DVD/DVD, record live TV, etc... It depends on the HTPC you build/buy.

I can't say I've heard of Squeezebox and SONOS - sorry. I'm fairly new to this game myself.

newtothis

Standard Member
Thanks again - you have really helped me. Now need to try and get some advice on the speakers. Maybe I should post on another part of the site.

Thanks again. Checked out your setup and very impressed - all in a day's work eh?!

Cheers

newtothis

Standard Member
Thanks again - you have really helped me. Now need to try and get some advice on the speakers. Maybe I should post on another part of the site.

Thanks again. Checked out your setup and very impressed - all in a day's work eh?!

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom