Onkyo 605 - How do I get 'immediate display' through HDMI?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by leo79, Feb 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Hi I have a TX-SR605 reciever and i am trying to get the 'immediate display' to work as all my AV equipment is in a cabinet.
    The main reason for this is that I sometimes adjust the LFE and Center Channel depending on type of film and time of night.
    I have read in the manual that using HDMI (which i am) the 'immediate display' won't always work.
    Is there a way to get it to work??:lease:
    Thanks
    Leon

* I've started this new thread because my previous one was a bit vauge on info.

2. topcourier

topcourier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If you look at your first post, i have given you the answer last night :smashin:

3. leo79

leo79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Hi TopCourier.
    Thanks for responding again.
    I have HDMI monitor out set to yes and i have no problem in getting the menu up on the TV.
    However what I want to get on the TV is the 'Immediate Display' setting.
    When I had my old PVR connected through composite and turned the volume up or down a volume bar appeared at the bottom of the screen, so i knew what volume the 605 was set at. This also came up when I selected 'Channel Select' and i could then adjust each channel accordingly, in my case the subwoofer and center channel.

I have gone through the instructions and it states that the 'Immediate Display' won't always work with devices connected with HDMI, unfortunatly all my devices are now connected with HDMI, and i wondered if there was any way of getting the 'Immediate Display' to work.
    This is v. important to get working as my equipment is now housed away in a cabinet.
    I have been in touch with Onkyo but am still waiting on a reply (no doubt their reply will be to get in touch with Genserve, who will tell me that it's not possible to have this function when connected with HDMI!) I'm just hoping somebody here has found a way of getting it work.
    Thanks again for your reply
    Leon

4. topcourier

topcourier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry i didn't quite realize what you were asking, I have mine set up with HDMI also,But i was not aware of any such function on the 605 but i could be and probably am wrong, Sorry :confused:

5. eightlegs

eightlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This feature, or lack of it, really bugs me as well. When playing Wii through component into the Onkyo I get the volume etc on screen which is connected via HDMI. But for V+ or PS3 which are connected into the Onkyo via HDMI I get nothing on screen at all.

Like you my amp is not in line of sight and it would be helpful to have a genuine OSD for when you want to make those little tweaks and don't want to go through the setup menu. If it works on component in/HDMI out why won't it work on HDMI in/HDMI out??????

6. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Presumably because it can add the OSD as part of the upconversion process from component to HDMI. It doesn't do any processing of HDMI inputs so the OSD can't be added.

7. thenicklouse

thenicklouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    my thinking as well.

but i do not see the point of it as i am a set it up for one thing and that is it.

except for volume. ;)

8. eightlegs

eightlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ahhhh it all becomes clear now :smashin:

Will have to turn my head to look at the Onkyo display instead :D

9. shiregator

shiregator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For what it is worth I found this thread because I have the same problem on my Onkyo 706. Just thought I'd share some information I found. I have an HTPC connected via an HDMI cable to my Onkyo 706 which is connected via HDMI to my TV. My video card also has a DVI port and if I use a DVI-HDMI adapter and use that port instead I get the OSD display on my TV. Interesting. DVI and HDMI video are the same. As I understand it the difference is HDMI also can carry control and audio.

Also I found a thread over at avsforums (Volume OSD overlay on all rez & outputs? - AVS Forum) and a poster there mentioned that HDMI-CEC would do what we want. I briefly looked at it and it looks promising, but I haven't tried it yet. My Onkyo and my TV (Samsung A650) are HDMI-CEC compatible (they call it RIHD and AnyNet+ respectively).