Onkyo 605 HDMI audio to TV speakers?

DeclanP

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony RDR HX750 DVD/HDD recorder hooked up via HDMI to the Onkyo 605. I currently only have two front Mission 780s and would like to also use the speakers in my Samsung plasma (PS42Q96HD) to help "center" the sound from my Onkyo.
The issue I have is that I can't get the audio out of the TV speakers when playing back a DVD or when watching TV which has been looped through the Sony HX750 (NTL scart out to Sony. Sony to Onkyo via HDMI)
I can get the TV speakers going when I playback recorded content off the Sony's HDD and also when watching TV directly from the NTL box (NTL has analog RCA to the Onkyo)
I have tried all of the options in the Onkyo manual such as: DVD HDMI audio set to PCM, HDMI audio pass through set to yes on the Onkyo. Nothing seems to work. Is this just a config that isn't supported? They is something in the Onkyo manual that says that this config just might not work with some combinations of equipment. Any ideas or suggestions?

Same question here.. page 84 in the manual :

HDMI audio out "this preference determines whether audio received at the HDMI IN is output by the HDMI OUT. You may want to turn this preference on if your TV is connected to the HDMI OUT and you want to listen to the audio...through your TV speakers"

Also states that when this is set, the amp will not output sound to external speakers.

Just what I need (for watching blu ray films on TV instead of in the other room with 5.1 speakers). Expect it didnt work.. made no difference.

Frustrated!! :(
Has anyone had success ?

Edt

Wondering if anyone has had any luck on here? When I swap between hdmi audio yes/no, it makes no difference & doesnt silence the 5.1 speakers, which the manual says will happen. Cant see that I'm doing anything wrong, must I must be!!

After hours of pulling hair out & swearing at the manual, I've now at least got audio from TV speakers as well as 5.1 speakers. I can mute the amp & so silence external speakers, which will do just fine. Still doesnt do what the manual suggests though !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom