Onkyo 605 firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Badger0-0, Sep 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    For the TX-SR605

But not all

Came out yesterday and addresses DD-True HD.

Just thought you might like to know :smashin:

Left hand side of the home page http://www.onkyo.co.uk/

2. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Thanks for the link, bought mine last week so no firmware update needed according to the website, strange they ask you to enter a 10 digit serial number, mine was only 8 digits :confused:

3. gbailey141

gbailey141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Does anyone know how you actually upgrade the firmware in this unit??

Will need to check my serial no when I get home but was curious in how you updated!

Gav

4. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    All it says on the website is that it's available through regional ONKYO Service Centres. Must have to be sent of or something would be my guess. Think all this equipment should be fitted with at least a USB port as standard.

5. gbailey141

gbailey141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Yeah you are dead right there Dazza! Gonna be a nightmare having to unplug everything to either cart it off to a Service Centre or even send it off via carrier and be without it!

Will keep my fingers crossed that mine is one that doesn't need doing!

I did read about Onkyo doing a patch for the PS3 popping noise so I guess if I want that fixed too it will have to be unplugged anyway!

Gav

6. dazza74

dazza74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,394
    Even an ethernet port on the back!! very short sighted in this day and age, no product starts out life perfect, how many updates have we seen on the PS3 since launch, I gather with the PS3 Onkyo have informed them of the problem so they may fix it at Sonys end.

7. tonyoco

tonyoco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry for the stupid question, but in plain english if possible, what does this update fix ?

8. go7blue

go7blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    My local friendly dealer told me the firmware upgrade is for some of the initial 605s delivered to this country which may have a problem reproducing HD audio - nothing to do with PS3.
    He said the upgrade can be done at home using a CD Rom available from Onkyo.
    He didn`t seem to think it was a major issue.

9. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

cant see how this can be done with a cdrom and i cant see how you would get the data from the cd to the amp.

10. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Afternoon

After speaking to Mark from Onkyo about this I understand he will be logging onto the forum tonight to clarify how the update can be done.

Regards

Alastair:hiya:

11. marty2005

marty2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Probably thru the remote control on the back, must be a serial connector, u only need two wires.

From PC serial -> remote control connector.

12. gbailey141

gbailey141

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Fortunately my unit doesn't need the update! :thumbsup:

Would still be interested to hear how anyone who does need to update, actually manages to do it!

Gav

13. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    how do you know if it needs it or not?

14. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Morning

If you go to the Onkyo web site http://www.onkyo.co.uk/ and you will find a link to the Firmware update in the left hand margin. You will then get to a page where you enter the 10 'digitit' serial number. Include the letters in this. It will then confirm whether you need the update

Regards

15. OnkyoUK

OnkyoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi All Please take some time to read the Official information release below,
    and by tomorrow evening i should be back in the loop properly ( setting up for the hifi show tomorrow.:thumbsup:

Onkyo TX-SR605 Firmware Update

September 20 2007: It has recently come to Onkyo's attention that there is a minor error in Firmware on a limited number of the first batch of TX-SR605's
    This Firmware error does not impede the working or performance of the unit in any way but, in the future, may cause a playback issue for some owners.
    Because of the Firmware error a small number of units may have difficulty decoding Dolby True HD Bitstreams correctly. There is currently no source hardware on the market capable of generating a Dolby True HD Bitstream for the TX-SR605 to decode but there will be in the near future.
    For those owners who have no intention of using HD-DVD or Blue-Ray this issue will be irrelevant but owners who are keen to enjoy the new HD audio formats (when suitable source hardware arrives) will need to apply a simple Firmware update to their receivers.
    No other models in the 2007 Onkyo range are affected and all TX-SR605s currently with UK retailers have already been updated.
    TX-SR605 owners who wish to establish whether their receiver needs a Firmware update should go to www.onkyo.co.uk where they'll find a serial number checker.

HOW TO UPDATE THE TX-SR605
    The Firmware update only takes 16 seconds to do and is carried out using a disc (which we will supply) and a CD player equipped with a digital optical output. There are three different ways of implementing the update:-
    A] If you own a suitable CD player we can ship out a CD with instructions to you, so that you can update the receiver yourself (remember… it only takes 16 seconds). Alternatively it can be sent via email (please email [email protected] with ‘605 update disc' in the subject line AND PLEASE INCLUDE YOR SERIAL NUMBER ) and burnt/finalised as an audio CD on a CD-R disc.
    Here's what you do…
    1) Connect the CD-Player's optical digital output to Optical Input 1 of the TX-SR605
    2) Select «CD» at the receiver and change the input to Optical 1 by pushing the button marked « Digital Input »
    3) Switch the receiver into ‘Firmware writing' mode:
    a) •Push «Standby » key while holding «Display » key
    b) •Push «Tone +»key several times until you see « DSPSR605:XXXXX »
    c) •Now push « CD ». In the display you will see the message: S/PDIF UPDATE
    4) Now start the CD Player. After 15 sec the display will change to WRITING. If the display does not show WRITING, play the CD again.
    NOTE: The vast majority of CD players with optical output will work fine but some players modify the data held on the disc so may not work correctly. In that case please try another CD player. If that's not possible please use Update options B] or C].
    5) When writing is finished «Clear »will come up at the display and the receiver will automatically switch to Standby mode.
    6) Check the device to establish if it is outputting sound. Select either a digital or analogue input signal in combination with a DSP mode.
    You can confirm that the DSP Firmware version has changed by:-
    1. Pushing «Standby » key while holding «Display » key
    2. Push «Tone +» key several times until you see « DSPSR605:XXXXX ». It should now read « 07727A ». Push « Standby » to leave this mode
    3. Note – if the Firmware version number is not displayed and you see « ?????? » on the display you will first need to reset the receiver by pressing « VCR/DVR » + «Standby »
    B] If you can't or don't wish to update the receiver yourself you can contact the dealer that you purchased it from and let them carry out the update for you (you will have to take it in to the store).
    C] Onkyo will collect it from a pre-arranged address, update the Firmware for you and then return it to you. Bear in mind that because the receiver will have to be shipped to and from Onkyo you may be without use of your receiver for a period of time.
    I suspect that most TX-SR605 owners on the forums will take option A] because of the speed of implementation and ease of installation but the choice is theirs.
    Unfortunately owners who have purchased their products outside of the UK will have to contact their overseas supplier to make arrangements.
    ONKYO UK​

16. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    ill make this a sticky thread,for a while,so members can see it,without this topic disappearing off the first page.
    just in case anyone does need to update the 605.

17. beerglass007

beerglass007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi

I checked my number today and require the upgrade. Have you got a download link for the firmware please?

:lease:

18. Tyjay

Tyjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,945
    well after more than an hour of trying i still cant get this to update!!!!
    tried my ps3 tried my 360 (unreconised disc) and tried my dvd player.
    It burnt fine after 8 secs of silence it palys (white noise) for 6 secs until 14 secs than stops.
    It dosent say on the display writing as it should it only says update... ect for as long as i leave it:(
    anyone offer any help
    te original wav that is sent also plays the same sounds in media player i checked to make sure that the disc burnt correctly

cheers

19. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289

There are three different ways of implementing the update:-

A] If you own a suitable CD player we can ship out a CD with instructions to you, so that you can update the receiver yourself .
    Alternatively it can be sent via email (please email [email protected] with ‘605 update disc’ in the subject line)

B] If you can’t or don’t wish to update the receiver yourself you can contact the dealer that you purchased it from and let them carry out the update for you (you will have to take it in to the store).

C] Onkyo will collect it from a pre-arranged address, update the Firmware for you and then return it to you.

20. SiGuy

SiGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my 605 last week and it was delivered next day.

Just done an online check and it needs the patch. As these units seem to be selling like hot cakes I would have expected this unit to have already been patched due to turnover. Bought it online from what I understand is a respected company who have a real store as well. I guess it must be part of the first batch then and they weren't aware of the issue at the time...

Would be good for members who apply the patch successfully to list the CD players used. Was hoping to be able to use the PS3 to do this.

21. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I purchased mine about 4 weeks ago and on checking my serial number find I require the patch.
    I emailed Onkyo on Sunday (no response as yet) and also phoned them yesterday morning where they promised to get back to me "later"...didn't receive a phone call....:rolleyes:

I know this may sound a stupid question (I'm full of them believe me) but as I don't have a dedicated CD player with an optical out, would it be possible to carry out this upgrade via my now defunct Sony DVD player? I have swapped out to a PS3 for my DVD viewing and can see from the above comments that the PS3 won't handle the job.
    Rob

22. Tyjay

Tyjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,945
    well after reburning the disc still cant get it to update this firmware the second disc worked on the 360 though.
    im wondering if anyone has updated it yet did u hear the noise when updating, as i used ps3, 360 and dvd player when choosing the cd button it disables the sound???? from th ps3 ect cant get my head round a simple update :confused:

on a side note i reset the amp holding down vcr/dvr button and pressing power the wii now plays in full screen and not in 4:3 with huge borders either side yay :thumbsup:

think im gonna leave this for a while as i cant be bothered anymore and go play skate on 360

23. DisguisedCoot

DisguisedCoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    i have the firmware now, i tried the update via xbox 360 and it didnt see the disc, it was reconised by the ps3 but when played it was silent.
    Do you burn it to disc as a data file or a audio cd?:lease:

24. OnkyoUK

OnkyoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi All
    Sorry its been a while , but i have been soooooo busy with dealer training/ tech support for dealers and end user's its ending up being 12-14hr days at the moment .
    There seems to be a bit of confusion of how to update the 605 , It should not be done via a PS3 or XboX 360 ( due to the fact that it can change the data on the way out) .Please try a cd player first and a dvd player second , we have only tested the update with a CD player, as per our instructions from japan .
    I know that some of you will say 'but i only have a PS3/Xbox ' and i will reply 'please use the other options from the original post
    I would also burn the disc as an audio file ( so that the wav file plays correctly)

If any of you have questions then i will be back on line wednesday night :smashin:

25. kostas13

kostas13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi,

I've now tried numerous times and many players incuding PS3 (which Mark notes it won't work), HD-DVD, SD DVD but I think all have 48kHz output default. However, I've connected my PC through optical to the amp and I can see in the display of the amp PCM fs:44.1 when playing an audio file. However, I tried the update but it never goes into the "writing" stage. It stucks on the S/PDIF update..."

It may also be the case that the file sent to me is corrupted...can anyone post the exact size of the file?

Any ideas??? I'm getting really frustrated with this now :cool:

Regards,

Kostas

26. angelislington

angelislington

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Hi Kostas,

If you drop me a PM with your email address I will send you the file we have here :smashin:

27. Justin@UH

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

If you look on the rear, above the digital inputs, you`ll see a small black slot, thats the update port. Its just the same as other manufacturers use, for example all old Pioneer DVD players had those fitted and thats how the multiregion modification was loaded in. Thats why the service center needs to do it, as its a special interface to the pc, not just a cable.

28. bigcoralboy

bigcoralboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi, I have had my 605 for a couple of months now so I am guessing I may need the update, can anyone advise where on the machine the serial number is??

29. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Afternoon

You will find the serial number on the back under the power input.

Regards

30. gbjk

gbjk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Should it not be possible to check the firmware version running by using the same instructions as to check if the upgrade worked properly?
    ( display + standby, tone+ * n )

This might help anyone who would have trouble getting to the back of the unit, say, after cementing it into the wall so it looks all purdy :D
    ( Seriously, I've heard worst suggestions, too )

Can't say I care about the update much myself - it fixes something I'm not going to use for quite a while yet.