Onkyo 605 audio/video switching question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pecker, Jan 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,587
    I have 4 devices with HDMI out (HD DVD, PS3, SD DVD, Sky HD).

The easiest thing to do would be to buy a 4-1 HDMI switching box and plug them all into one HDMI input, then just leave the plasma & Amp on one channel, and switch using the remote on the 4-1 switcher.

But there's a problem.

I'd get High Def sound over HDMI for HD DVD & Blu-ray, but I think the Sky box & DVD upscaler only output video over HDMI.

Is it possible to attach the 4 via one HDMI switch, then keep the HDMI picture, but switch between HDMI & optical ins for audio?

Cheers.

Steve W

2. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Hi Steve. Potentially, you can but each time you want to change source you would have to go into the setup optins and select

Input/Output Assign -> Digital Input and change it to the digital source you wanted.

Personally I have the BD/HD DVD in the HDMI in 1 & 2 and Sky/HTPC direct into the TV with only the optical going into the amp. This way the Onky switches my hi def. If I want to watch sky I select the sky HDMI on the TV and select the source that has the Sky optical assigned to it on the amp.

It all depends on how many HDMI inputs you have on your display. As sky only does 5.1 over the optical there is no real necessity to have the sky hdmi plugged into the amp.

Hope this helps you :)

3. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,587

Only 1 HDMI in on the TV. However, I already havea 3-1 HDMI switch. It's only 1.1, so I'd discounted the possibility of using it to carry audio, but if I put it between amp & TV I should be okay, as it'll only be carrying a picture.

Steve W

4. Rom

Rom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +746
    Sounds good to me, best of both worlds.