Onkyo 605/875 to replace Yamaha 750SE

clarky78

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a new amp, and initially was looking at the 605, then the 705, but I have seen people say they can get the 875 for £850 (still looking for these deals myself).

Is the 875 worth it over the 605? I'm wondering if i'm just doing my usual of going for the higher spec better looking machine that will in reality offer me no noticeable difference.. The 605 is significantly cheaper.. I have the equipment in my signature that it will be used with.. Will the 605 even sound better than the Yamaha? I will be Bi-amping my fronts which i can't do now.

Also, i have been trying to understand the whole HD sound formats thing, and after reading a somewhat worrying thread elsewhere it seems that it may not even be necassary to have a 1.3a equipped machine? I want to watch Bluerays from a PS3 or HD DVD's with lossless which is supposed to be out of this world different to compressed audio on DVD's (myth?). But this other thread has lead me to believe you don't even need a 1.3 equipped amp to do this? Then I read that you can't even convert lossless in the amp it's done in the player. Then I read no players currently support lossless audio!! I'm losing my mind, I thought i just needed a new amp to get all the new benefits of DTS HD, Dolby HD etc..?

Any advice? Should i just forget it and stick with my Yamaha afterall? Go for the 605? Will it even be better than the yam sound wise? I'm so confused i'll probaby just end up buying nothing at this rate!

Also, i have been trying to understand the whole HD sound formats thing, and after reading a somewhat worrying thread elsewhere it seems that it may not even be necassary to have a 1.3a equipped machine?

2 choices - as long as your amp can take PCM over HDMI (which is HDMI version 1.1 I think) then you can still get HD sounds. The player will decode from the HD format and output PCM over HDMI that the amp will then play. Other choice is if you have 6 analogue inputs (like for SACD) and your player has them (not the PS3) then you can use these instead of HDMI.

Then I read that you can't even convert lossless in the amp it's done in the player.

I don't think this is true anymore, latest firmware for PS3 allows sending some (not all) of the HD formats as bitstream for the amp to decode (such as the Onkyo 605 and above). Also I understand the Tosh EP35 (latest one) allows this as well.

Any advice? Should i just forget it and stick with my Yamaha afterall? Go for the 605? Will it even be better than the yam sound wise? I'm so confused i'll probaby just end up buying nothing at this rate!

Looking at the kit in your signature it seems that you are into music as well as home cinema, I guess you need to listen to some amp compared to yours.

I'm afraid the PS3 does not support sending the bitstream of the HD formats (Dolby True HD and DTS-MA), it will happily decode Dolby True HD and send as lossless PCM though.

I don't think this is true anymore, latest firmware for PS3 allows sending some (not all) of the HD formats as bitstream for the amp to decode (such as the Onkyo 605 and above). Also I understand the Tosh EP35 (latest one) allows this as well.

2 choices - as long as your amp can take PCM over HDMI (which is HDMI version 1.1 I think) then you can still get HD sounds. The player will decode from the HD format and output PCM over HDMI that the amp will then play. Other choice is if you have 6 analogue inputs (like for SACD) and your player has them (not the PS3) then you can use these instead of HDMI.

So in that sense I can get HD audio to my Yam then from a suitable player through the 6 Line level inputs? But this will be analogue, how will the amp know what signal it's recieving though? I mean if i want to play DTS HD, will I use the DTS setting?

Anyone think the Onkyo will be a noticeable improvement?

Having had the luck of having the Onkyo 875 to pair with my HD EP35 and PS3 i had to return it as it was incompatible with the Optoma HD65 PJ a recent purchase, To be honest the Onkyo was a last resort and i purchased it on a whim and now am glad it was incompatible with my PJ as i had the good fortune to hear the Denon 3808 and Yamaha 3800 at the same dealer and can clearly state the Yammy was the better of the 3 and i am now a proud owner of the 3800 it also sounds a lot more detailed than the 875 IMO which is driving my Keff eggs with ease.

For the price range why not include the Yamaha 1800 which at some dealers is going for around £880 and is not that much different than the 3800

For the price range why not include the Yamaha 1800 which at some dealers is going for around £880 and is not that much different than the 3800

Stupidly because I don't consider that much of an upgrade:confused:, and because i'm bored with the Yamaha looks! I think boredom is one of my main upgrade reasons too!

Stupidly because I don't consider that much of an upgrade:confused:, and because i'm bored with the Yamaha looks! I think boredom is one of my main upgrade reasons too!
The 1800 and 3800 are far better than the 750, they're well worth looking at! They're better than the 875 anyway :)

So the £1000 875 is worse than the £800 1800?? Odd.. I know price isn't everything but thats strikes me as unlikely.

I'm now wondering if these HD audio amps are even necassary anymore, after reading so much about them not being.

So the £1000 875 is worse than the £800 1800?? Odd.. I know price isn't everything but thats strikes me as unlikely.
The RXV1800 is £1000 normally too, the same price as the 875. And believe me, i'd pick the Yamaha over the Onkyo any day based on sound quality, auto setup, and back-up service.

I'm now wondering if these HD audio amps are even necassary anymore, after reading so much about them not being.
These HD audio amps do sound better than the majority of sub £1,000 AV amps (HD or not), and are far better doing a proper job with decent speaker packages, particularly from the likes of M&K and hi-fi AV packages. Of all the amps i've heard past and present, i'd not use an amp much below £1,000 as they just lack the quality i need for a convincing and enjoyable home cinema system.

It all comes down to personal preference.

I just moved away from using the Yamaha RX-V1800 as a pre pro to the Onkyo TX-SR705 as a pre pro and VASTLY prefer the Onkyo, even without Auddysey correction.

The Onkyo 705 has the same processing as the 805 and 875 and I had no need for a scaler so it seemed the logical choice. Very happy with my decision at the moment.

As I said, it all comes down to personal preference. Some will love Yamaha, some will love Denon and others will love Onkyo. It is absolute nonsense to say that one receiver absolutely betters another - it just comes down to preference.

It is absolute nonsense to say that one receiver absolutely betters another - it just comes down to preference.
While i understand your point, and yes, to an extent you are right, but there are many things that can be 'better' with regards to AV amplifiers. One thing about Yamaha amps is their ability to steer effects around a room seemlessly and convincingly, something which has been noticed by many people in A/B demonstrations.

The 1800 and 3800 are far better than the 750, they're well worth looking at! They're better than the 875 anyway :)

This is all in one person's opinion. ;)

I changed from a Yamaha 2700 to an Onkyo 875 and don't regret it one bit. The 2700 is essentially the 3800 without the new audio codec decoding.

:)

Maybe, but the genral concensus, staff and customers, seems to be the Yamaha is better - different reasons for some people. I can understand if the Onkyo makes some speakers sound intially impressive as it's on the brighter side, but extended listening with good quality speakers, the Yamaha usually comes out on top.

And as i have stated, it has been many people's opinion, proven by demonstration.

Maybe, but the genral concensus, staff and customers, seems to be the Yamaha is better - different reasons for some people. I can understand if the Onkyo makes some speakers sound intially impressive as it's on the brighter side, but extended listening with good quality speakers, the Yamaha usually comes out on top.

And as i have stated, it has been many people's opinion, proven by demonstration.

My speakers are of good quality IMHO....thank you very much. ;)

As are mine and no, I am not into a "bright" sound.

i wouldnt of said my 805 was bright, its quite neutral actually. bit even if it were bright, isnt that exactly what the thx re-eq counters?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom