1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Onkyo 600

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Iancity, Jul 26, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Iancity

Iancity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Anybody know about this amp. Bought it recently to replace my Yamaha A5 and everything sounds great, however, the sub sound very very different to what it was. The sub (Yamaha) with the A5 had plenty of slam and bang, yet with the Onkyo there is no big slam at all, everything is very subtle. To be honest I am not sure what I prefer, just asking if an amp would make this much difference to a sub(the sub is active). I have also had to turn the sub up to 3/4 where it was always at 1/2 before.

2. mattyro

mattyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the cutoff on the line-level output may be mch different. a higher cutoff will get you more mid-bass and thus, boominess. a very low cutoff nd you wont even notice the sub until an explosion or some very low bass notes--like organ pedals.

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could be the fact that the amp has got all speakers set to large and not redirecting your bass output to the sub. Take a look and see what the front and center speakers are set too.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's actually no such thing as "standard" line level, so the difference between the level setting on the sub could be simply that Onkyo's "standard" line level is lower than Yamaha's - nothing to worry about really (there's probably a "sub-level" setting on the Onkyo somewhere, so you could turn that up if it bothers you).

As for the lack of slam - it could be many things, not least of which is exactly what you mean by slam.
    I don't think the A5 had an adjustable subwoofer crossover - but I bet the Onkyo has - check that's set right, as well as the main speaker sizes. The setup may be quite different from your A5.