• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 577 and Tannoy SFX 5.1 setup

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
I had some new speakers for fathers day :clap:

They have replaced my aged Dennon speakers which were fine, apart from the sub distorting a lot, and there was not a lot of bass.

Since I bought my Onkyo, I have been moaning and moaning to the wife that I need some new speakers, and the best (that we can currently afford) seems to be these Tannoys.

I am very pleased with them, although the sub is distorting now and then. I am loving the bass when it is hit right, but sometimes it seems to be going to deep and distorting.

I set up the speakers with the Audesy mic, and it had the sub at +6. I have lowered this to +4 and sometimes have to go to +2.

Also, the setting for LPE to LFE goes from 80 to 120hz, which is best for the sub? Also I can set the speakers upto 200hz, I currently have them set at 120hz.

Can anyone help with any pointers ? Anyone had this combination before ??

:lease:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I believe the lower frequency of the satelite speakers is 140Hz so you should set the crossover in the reciever to this. Then set the crossover on the sub to the max setting since the reciever will be doing all the crossover work. What setting do you have the gain on the sub? It should be at about half way. The sub should not distort so you must have the gain on the sub too high

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
There are markings on the dials on the sub, saying half way for music and all the way for LFe on the crossover, the other appears to be the volume, and for AV/LFE it recommends on full.

I have had it set half way, since the distortion.

When you say the sub should not distort, do you mean ever ? As I only noticed it start distorting in Transformers 2, do you think I may have damaged my sub, and if so should I get it changed ?

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
I've turned the sub output down on the amp from +5 to +1 and it seems good.

It did seem to be a bit too bassy in parts where no bass was needed really.

Another thing, how important is a good phono lead from the amp to the sub ?? The one I am using is a cheap one.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
No need to go mad on a sub cable to be honest. Something in the £10-£20 range will be more than sufficient. Sounds like you had the sub running a little too hot (high) and that was the reason for the distortion. A well integrated (setup) sub should not be heard as such but just seamless blend into the other speakers. Alot of people imho have them too high which does mean you get distortion.
I doubt you have done ny damage to it so sit back and enjoy the new speakers.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Your advice is welcomed and I thank you :smashin:

So what, in your opinion should I set the LPE to LFE thingy, it goes 80hz to 120hz, but I can set all other channels upto 200hz, but not 140hz. I can set 130hz or 150hz. I think either of these will be fine ?

Should I set all other channels to 150hs and set the sub to 80hz, or 120 ?:suicide:

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
Thanks again, I've got it sounding quite nice now :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom