Question Onkyo 515 - Apple TV 3 - No surround sound

ReWired

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

After googling, testing every combination and getting my Apple TV 3 replaced, I give up! Maybe somebody here can help.

Onkyo 515 - Latest firmware. 5.0 surround speakers. Audio works great with SKY+HD over HDMI, Optical or Coax. Switches to Dolby Digital as soon as the channels change.

Added in an Apple TV 3 - Latest firmware Dolby Digital switched to ON. Using BD/DVD input.

Cannot, no matter what settings I use, get Netflix or any other content to play Dolby Digital. Apple even replaced the unit under Warantee.

Onkyo will only show 2.0 Stereo PCM when connected over HDMI or Optical.

Regretting not getting a Roku :(

Are you sure the content includes the DD/DTS multi-channel audio!

Joe

Dolby Digital Symbol on everything I have tried in Netflix. If anybody has `known to work` content I will try it right away.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for looking! Those threads did appear before in my trawl but they all end in April/May with other threads from the same time reporting an update resolved.

There must be others out there who have this working, I will post the firmware revision later tonight. I truly am stumped on this one!

Apple support went through all the steps I had already gone through before agreeing to replace the unit. (Steps such as firmware updates through itunes, region settings, alternate cables.)

Does anybody have an Apple TV 3 (atv3) with Dolby Digital working with Netflix?!

Works fine for me while my ATV is connected to my Denon AV receiver. Can't say the same about when trying to get DD via ARC and the Netflix app on my Samsung TV though. Every other SMART feature outputs either multichannel DTS or DD content without issue, but not the Netflix app.

Last edited:
Hi dante! Are you using optical or hdmi?
What firmware revision are you using?

I would be interested to find out if Dolby Digital works with other Smart TV's.
Looking to upgrade 4k next year but what use is Netflix in 4k without decent sound.

Does anybody out there have an Apple TV3 and an Onkyo 515?
ATV3 firmware is 7.0.2(6915)
Model A1469

I'm using HDMI and the firmware is fully up to date.

PROGRESS! I tried swapping some cables out and with the TV disconnected from the Onkyo, the Dolby Digital sign appeared and wow it sounds great!!

So now I can listen to a movie in surround sound while watching a blank screen.

I have some different things to Google now!

Wow, ok I think there is a bug either with the Onkyo 515 or the Apple TV3.

When Audio TV Out is set to On (Menu 7-2) on my 515 the Apple TV 3 defaults to PCM 2.0

With it turned off, full 5.0 working.

My Sky+ box does not react the same way and was throwing me off.

Have you by any chance configured the receiver to passthrough HDMI sourced audio? If so then a source will only output audio that your TV can handle as opposed to audio that corresponds to the AV receiver's capabilities. Ensure HDMI audio output is set to just AVR as opposed to AVR + TV within the receivers settings.

Yup as I mentioned, that was exactly it dante. Do you think thats the ATV or the Onkyo? No issue with that option on when using SKY+

If you have indeed set the receiver t passthrough the audio then the issue is more than likely with the receiver. Its a setting you'd be ordinarily advised to leave set to just AVR. A device reads the TV as being the destination so uses the TVs audio capabilities as a guide as to what it can output. TVs have limited audio capabilities when compared to most AV receivers.

Last edited:
With TV audio set to On the Sources should only Output HD video + (for your TV) 2.0 audio - in a perverse way the device causing you a 'problem' is the SKY box as it is ignoring the TV/AVR EDID and sticking to whatever you have it set to (2.0 or 5.1). ATV is doing what it should be doing based on the EDID/AVR settings!

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom