Onkyo 509/579 opinion needed

dipzb90

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have narrowed myself down to these two amps, can anybody help me decide. the 509 will cost me £300 and the 579 will cost me £350. i also need a speaker system maybe a 5.1 with a budget of about £300-350.

The system will be mainly used for my playstation 3 and Sky HD on a Samsung 42" Plasma. oh and also to listen to music from my PC, also i use my PS3 to stream stuff from my PC so would the upscaling have any effect here?

Sorry for the noob questions and Thank you in advance

Last edited:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/onkyo-products/1438661-onkyo-tx-nr509-owners-thread.html

The 579 is a stripped down 609 IIRC. If you don't need 7.1 and the other features (GUI etc.) on the 579, you could probably get away with the 509, particularly with the level of speakers you're looking at.

The £50 could go towards better speakers. With your budget you are looking at Boston XS, Jamo HCS5 A102 and Tannoy SFX, all of which have been used successfully as partners with Onkyo receivers. If you can step up to the likes of Q-Acoustics, you would get better SQ but obviously would need to add to the budget.

Hi

Just bought a 509 myself. Nice amp if you only want 5.1 (like me). I currently have it paired with a set of Canton Movie 125MX speakers and am reasonably impressed at it's ability to fill a decent sized room. Obviously not HiFi quality speakers but at this price point pretty reasonable. My plan is to upgrade the speakers to something much better in a years time (when funds allow). I also heard the Q Acoustics 2000 demo'd with this amp and would have probably gone for these but decided to put the money saved towards a slightly better Blu-ray player.

The Onkyo 509 does not upscale (not sure about the 579), but other than that, its a great amp for the price. I have this with the Q-Accoustics 2000 5.1 Cinema Pack. These speakers can now be brought for less than £400 (though these are the non 'i' models).

Boz

The Onkyo 509 does not upscale (not sure about the 579), but other than that, its a great amp for the price. I have this with the Q-Accoustics 2000 5.1 Cinema Pack. These speakers can now be brought for less than £400 (though these are the non 'i' models).

Boz

Fair comment about the upscaling but no great loss, as the Blu-ray player (or the TV come to that) can cope with that.

I very much agree with you regarding the value of the Q Acoustics 2000 speakers (listened to these and a number of other packages before deciding what to buy). I would definitely have gone for these but decided to go down a slightly different route (IE. slightly cheaper package and upgrade to something much better / bigger in a year or so time). :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom