• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 507 help

tom020684

Hi guys,

I'm in need of a little help......

I have just got a new amp (above) which supports HD audio, my dilemma is that I have read in several places that sky hd will not support hd audio over the hdmi cable in 5:1 and that to support 5:1 optical cables are required. I'm not sure if I'm right here or not.

My current set up is as follows:

Tv, Sony bdp350 blu ray and sky hd (other bits too but not necessary for this issue.

Will I need optical cables for both the sky hd box and the blu ray player to support 5:1?

Any responses welcome or if this doesn't make sense I will be more than happy to give more detail.

Thanks everyone! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

logiciel

Hi.
You'll find dozens of posts on this topic.
There isn't really such a thing as HD audio; HD refers to video.
Sky in their wisdom have decided to output only stereo sound on their HDMI output. That means that if you want the 5:1 that some programmes on some HD channels provide then you do need to connect by optical as well as, or instead of, HDMI. The 507 Digital Setup fortunately gives you the option to force the optical to take precedence over the HDMI, if you leave both connected.
In contrast, for all other devices, especially BluRay, HDMI is the preferred option for all the audio systems.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom