• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 505 with a new sub question

Tom Tom

Prominent Member
Hey,

I know this amp is old but I am only just getting around to adding more than two speakers!

I bought today a BK Gemini Sub from these very forums, had a demo the sub was working and all was well.

So I get home and notice when watching Sky Go on the Xbox 360, the sub was not really doing anything (although it seemed to earlier when I tried the PS3 with a bluray)

Now the PS3 is connected by an optical cable where as the 360 is just Phono (stereo) sound.

I would have thought the sub would have worked anyway but it seems to remain quiet when on the 360.

I did the audio set up as suggested by the Onkyo using the mic they provide.

I just wanted to know if there was anything I need to test or do to see where it is falling down.

When I turn the sub volume up it has a hum, but one of those that you would say is not the good kind. (kinda like earth loop sound if you know what I mean)

Also I have most of my hifi set up to be turned off by the strip plug switch at night. Should I turn the Sub off at it's own switch first before starting and shutting down the rest of the kit?

Thanks
Tom

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The issue you have is that on a bluray with the optical connection you are getting a proper 5.1 soundtrack to the receiver hence the sub has a proper channel all to itself to play. However with the xbox you only have a stereo signal going to the receiver and hence the receiver has to make up the sub channel. This means the sub is never as imposing on this made up setup as it is with the dedicated channel.
Have are your other speakers? Have you now set them to small with a suitable crossover? So the sub is now taking all the heavy load of the lower bass?

Tom Tom

Prominent Member
The issue you have is that on a bluray with the optical connection you are getting a proper 5.1 soundtrack to the receiver hence the sub has a proper channel all to itself to play. However with the xbox you only have a stereo signal going to the receiver and hence the receiver has to make up the sub channel. This means the sub is never as imposing on this made up setup as it is with the dedicated channel.
Have are your other speakers? Have you now set them to small with a suitable crossover? So the sub is now taking all the heavy load of the lower bass?
Used the Onkyo auto set up so not sure where the crossover is.

I also think the cable is a little dodgy as when I tried moving it, there was a lot of noise and crackling from the sub.

I am running just a stereo system at the mo with the sub as a new addition.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Although running only 2 speakers the receiver will get a 5.1 signal from the PS3 with blurays and then down mix this accordingly. Hence it will down mix the 5 speakers to the 2 you have but keep the sub separate. When you ran the auto setup did you say you had a sub? Go into the menu and check if the speakers are set to small. If the speakers have a lower response below 80Hz then set the crossover at that (with the speakers set to small) and see how that sounds. What cable have you got connecting to the sub. No need to spend a fortune on a fancy cable but a shielded RCA cable would be the best option.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Onkyo receivers do not have a SMALL or LARGE speaker setting. Speakers are defined as being FULL RANGE if there's no crossover setting assigned to them. If you set a crossover for an associated speaker then this is the same as defining them as being SMALL.

You need to claibrate the setup again if adding a sub. Deal with the bass management and crossover setting after performing the calibration and not prior to it. Before running the calibration you need to set the sub's cutoff filter diall to its maximum frequency and set the sub's gain/volume dial to between one third to half way. Also set phase to 0° if it has a phase setting. Now run the auto calibration.

After the calibration is complete, set a crossover of 80Hz for the passive speakers present.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom