onkyo 505 is this what i need

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by putbinoot, Jan 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I admit i have no real clue about amp /receivers apart from giving you out 5.1 etc etc sound and helping connect a lot of sources to one display although displays these days seem to have alot of connections so do i really need a 505 as i have picked this model out of the air as i was at first thinking of getting the 605 only because everyone was talking about. ok so here is what i have got / getting and what i want to do

th50px70 - getting.
    sky+ - getting. scart i assume
    wii - got. (component)
    xbox - got. going to use as Media extender/ dvd player once soft modded connection (component ?)
    5.1 sound - wanting. tips welcome, tight budget so only thinking of £200-£250 max for speakers.

also would an amp be able to output two audio and video sources at the same time as i may also want to feed a sanyo z4 and get 5.1 in another room. so getting sky+ on tv and xbox output on the projector at the same time. I do not want anything above 720 as i am not bothered about HD audio.

thanks for any help.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    If that is your budget for both amp and speakers you will need to drop some of your requirements or go second hand. Some amps have a multi-zone feature which will give you 2.0 stereo on a separate pair of speakers but not 5.1. Have a look on ebay or the classified as there are some serious bargains around as people are changing their amps out for HDMI and HD audio.

3. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    shopuld have been more clear will edit post, 200-250 is for speakers only. i think you can get the 505 for 240ish.

4. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Do a search in the speakers forum on the Jamo A102 HCS5 system as a number of people use them and they're within your budget. Cantons are also recommended and can be bought in the speakers forum powerbuy. I prefer full size speakers myself but it would be difficult to achieve that with your budget unless you went second hand.

5. putbinoot

putbinoot
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for your input, darko on here is selling his Infinity Betas hcs for £250 have you heard much about these, as i think these are full size speakers as i had looked at the jamo ones but thought they looked a bit small for me.