• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Onkyo 5009 HDMI board thermal imaging video

bighairybloke

Thought you chaps who have had issues with onkyo hdmi boards going down (and who hasn't!?) would like to see a video I did last night of my 5009 with new board fitted being thermaly imaged via my Flir One camera.

I will also do one after I have fitted some heat sinks to the chips that get hot and after I fit a couple of slow fans on the top of the case to help keep things cool.

I also have pictures, these are of the board without thermal image turned on.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,109
  • FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 880

bighairybloke

Chip sizes needing heat sinks

16mm 16mm
14mm 14mm
18mm 18mm
13mm 9mm
13mm 13mm
9mm 9mm
50mm 5mm
14mm 14mm
20mm 8mm X2
5mm 5mm
25mm max height under case top
board number BCHDM0797

Attachments

• Onkyo.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 342

bighairybloke

Here's the pics with heat sinks attached using 3M thermal adhesive tape -

Attachments

• IMG_0796.JPG
    IMG_0796.JPG
    548.3 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 040817162536.jpg
    040817162536.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 495

tibrocks

Novice Member
I am aware that this is an old thread but having recently acquired a 5009, I am a bit worried about the known HDMI board issue (I didn't know before buying, unfortunately).

Are there any measures to preventing this? - and will the failure be imminent (can it be avoided)??

I understand heat is an issue so I have already installed a 20cm fan on top that reduced the overall temperature a lot.
Are there any other recommendations or will all be in vain, ultimately?

Thanks!

John7

This is the reason I have not bought (and will not buy again) another Onkyo receiver since I had HDMI board failures due to excessive HDMI board heat on two earlier models.

On the last model I had (think it was a 976), I fitted heatsinks to the chips and ran twin cooling fans on the case vents and it still failed (outside of warranty of course). I think it is inevitable with these designs, unfortunately. It's not just the chips that fry, it's the surrounding electrolytic capacitors that are not rated for the high temperatures and "cook", causing them to fail.

Went on to Pioneer after that and no HDMI issues with those so far!

bighairybloke

I’ve not had any issues whatsoever with lots of use now I have heatsinks on the chips and a fan.
Stebe

tibrocks

Novice Member
Thanks both, so even though it may not be the chip itself, it's still a thermal issue causing the board to fail (I thought there might be other factors apart from this).

I've risked buying the receiver used and there's no way to know how much use it had before (caps/chips wear level) but on the plus side.. it was in mint condition, like it had very little use.

As soon as I got it I noticed how hot the HDMI board was running (I started researching, finding out about the known issue) so I installed a large, low-speed fan right away. This is good because it's very quiet and keeps the temp down.

If temperature is the main factor I will consider installing the heatsinks, @bighairybloke where did you source those from?
Have you ordered each size individually? and how do you attach them to chips?

Cheers

bighairybloke

Hi mate, I bought the heat sinks on eBay, a selection of really dinky ones from 5mm square up to about 20mm square and oblong. Also, some 3m adhesive thermal tape. If you check out the video, you can see what gets hot and put a sink on each one. As large a one as you can fit without fouling anything else on the board.
All good so far:)
Steve

tibrocks

Novice Member
Hi mate, I bought the heat sinks on eBay, a selection of really dinky ones from 5mm square up to about 20mm square and oblong. Also, some 3m adhesive thermal tape. If you check out the video, you can see what gets hot and put a sink on each one. As large a one as you can fit without fouling anything else on the board.
All good so far:)
Steve

Cheers mate,

Yes, got some heat sinks and thermal tape, hopefully will sort out these hot chips.. I'm keeping the 20cm fan on top anyway...

IMG_20190323_224154.jpg

Thanks

bighairybloke

Same as me, fans are on permanently and I’ve not had an issue yet:)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom