onkyo 309

matt2009

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys just a quick question, I am running a 3.0 set up can I run the rear channels to my kef speakers as well as the front channels I believe it's called "bi amping" would it improve the sound at all ?.

Thanks guys and merry Christmas .

Last edited:
The TXSR309 doesn't facilitate the bi-amping of speakers with unused speaker outputs. This feature is usually reserved for 7.1 amps and the 309 is only 5.1. The bi-amping is usually done via unused back speaker outputs and not the surround outputs.

I thought that too, but according to this site, you can;

First, let's look at the main features. Of course, it's a 5.1 home cinema system, so there are the five expected speaker terminals on the rear. However, there's also an extra two spring clip terminals. These don't allow you to run a 7.1 set up, but they DO allow you to run a second pair of speakers in another room, or to biamp your front speakers - very handy!

Onkyo TX-SR309 AV receiver

I assume you use the speakers B connections and just use "speakers A and B" in the settings.

I thought that too, but according to this site, you can;

Onkyo TX-SR309 AV receiver

I assume you use the speakers B connections and just use "speakers A and B" in the settings.

I think you are right badger after looking in the manual it says while speakers B is on, channels are reduced to 2.1 in the main room . TIP use av receiver's speakers A and B. Question is before I start messing would I hear any improvement .

The additional terminals allow you to share the power associated with the front speakers between two pairs of front speakers. To bi-amp you need discrete power for both the hi and lo drivers. You are simply bi-wiring and not bi-amping if you use the A/B speaker switching on the Onkyo TXSR309. It has no ability or fascility to bi-amp with!

you may as well just use thicker speaker wire as bi-wire. Nothing is really gained by bi-wiring and it should not be confused with bi-amping!

Last edited:
Thanks fellas you've been most helpful I was just looking to gain a bit more surround sound as rear speakers are a no no. :laugh:

I've just had a look at the manual and it's not very clear.

If the sound gets reduced to 2.1, that suggests to me that you do have discrete power, so it is indeed bi-amping
I'm confused :confused:

Even if this is the case, you cannot bi-amp with the terminals without permantely losing output to the surround speakers. You may as well go buy a integrated stereo amp that will wipe the floor with the 309 in terms of stereo performance.

I was just looking to gain a bit more surround sound as rear speakers are a no no.

You will not gain anything in terms of surround sound. Bi-amping may improve audio, but it will do nothing in terms of the surround sound capabilities. If surrounds are a no no then maybe a soundbar would have been a better option than the TXSR309?

Even if this is the case, you cannot bi-amp with the terminals without permantely losing output to the surround speakers.

I don't believe you've read the OP's post correctly.
He doesn't want surround sound.

I don't believe you've read the OP's post correctly.
He doesn't want surround sound.

I KNOW you didn't bother to read my last post in its entirety. I'm quite aware of the OPs desires thank you!

:)

Why so touchy? :confused:

Ok, perhaps I worded it wrong and should have said he doesn't want rear speakers.

So to actually answer the question, do you think the setup would be using discrete power or not?

I think it would, that's why it cuts the rears.

:)

Why so touchy? :confused:

Ok, perhaps I worded it wrong and should have said he doesn't want rear speakers.

So to actually answer the question, do you think the setup would be using discrete power or not?

I think it would, that's why it cuts the rears.

I'm touchy because you purposefully paraphrased what I'd said and left out the parts that made it obvious I'd taken the OPs situation onboard. What was the purpose? I'm not falling out with you, but not sure why you'd want to suggest I'm ignoring the OP?

I concede that the amp does indeed provide discrete power to both A and B terminals. I make this conclusion because there is no warning in relation to impedance if using both A and B terminals. To omit such a warning would be very remiss of Onkyo and could probably leave them open to litigation if anything went wrong whilst using both sets of terminals simultaneously.

I'm touchy because you purposefully paraphrased what I'd said and left out the parts that made it obvious I'd taken the OPs situation onboard. What was the purpose? I'm not falling out with you, but not sure why you'd want to suggest I'm ignoring the OP?

Actually, I hadn't read that post.
I was going off the original which is what I was referring too;

Hi guys just a quick question, I am running a 3.0 set up

Anyway, never mind.

So we concur that it is bi-amping and maybe worth a try given the amps low output.

Sorted :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom