Onkyo 3008-5008 owners thread.

Abs,

You can't go wrong with either choice, but if you like the Onkyo sound then I would recommend sticking with Onkyo. I would also suggest going for the 3008, which means you will have around £500 (ish) to spend on something else. I used to have the Kef TDM's myself and I don't believe they would benefit from difference that the 5008 offers over the 3008. I had a short time with the 906 and never really liked it, but the 3008 is a huge improvement, which believe is mainly down to XT32 being far better.

Thanks for the reply, in the end I went and ordered the 5008 which I bagged for a very good price. Should be with me by end of week or early next week.

Thanks for the reply, in the end I went and ordered the 5008 which I bagged for a very good price. Should be with me by end of week or early next week.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I look forward to hearing what you think. I'm still learning/experimenting with my 3008. :D

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I look forward to hearing what you think. I'm still learning/experimenting with my 3008. :D
Same as you mate still experimenting with my 3008 but i have to say so far it's quite a big upgrade on sound quality from my 876 :) MultEQ XT32 sounds great and a worthy upgrade from MultEQ XT ;)

which one do i buy? Onkyo 5008 or Pioneer 83 ok guys, i've not been able to demo either but have been offered both at a good price. i am coming from the Onkyo 905 and i am really hoping that either of the 2 receivers i am considering will be a significant step up from the 905 which in itself is an excellent receiver. my consideration for the Pioneer was initially the lower power consumption compared to the Onkyo's (recent electric bill was a bit of a shocker, pardon the pun ) and also the fact you get a free blu ray player with the pioneer that i wil sell and offset the sale against the purchase price. I've never used Pioneer av gear before but i really like the sound from the 905 ,i know if it ain't broke then why fix it comes to mind! just the upgrade bug that hit's us all at sometime and has bit me hard. would either be a significant upgrade from the 905, i'd be interested to hear from previous 905 owners and even curious to see what the other guys upgraded from and was it worth the change. i need to decide before tomorrow morning when ilet my dealer know. my speakers are the 7 Kef Thx TDM range with an SVS PB13 sub. thanks in advance

I have changed my 905 for the 5008 and it is much better than the 905.

I have changed my 905 for the 5008 and it is much better than the 905.

cheers mate, could you elaborate a bit, in which way is it better? are you using frony height effect speakers, if so which ones? thanks :smashin:

cheers mate, could you elaborate a bit, in which way is it better? are you using frony height effect speakers, if so which ones? thanks :smashin:

Right ! For one I never liked the automatic set-up on my 905 and manualy did the equalizer. On the 5008 the new xt32 set-up just sounded better. I then added the DYNAMIC EQ which makes volumes played less than odb sound much better !! Onscreen display good as you can see the pic while messing about with certain settings like audio, screen zoom, listening mode, bass, treble etc. The best is the front high speakers I have fitted and the dsx listening mode really does make use of them. Dialogue can be moved upwards from just center speaker and basically the front high speakers give the soundstage a larger feeling. I went for the 5008 but there doesnt seem to be much difference than the 3008. Have you had a look at the online manual for the 3008/5008 as you can compare the features to the 905.

Right ! For one I never liked the automatic set-up on my 905 and manualy did the equalizer. On the 5008 the new xt32 set-up just sounded better. I then added the DYNAMIC EQ which makes volumes played less than odb sound much better !! Onscreen display good as you can see the pic while messing about with certain settings like audio, screen zoom, listening mode, bass, treble etc. The best is the front high speakers I have fitted and the dsx listening mode really does make use of them. Dialogue can be moved upwards from just center speaker and basically the front high speakers give the soundstage a larger feeling. I went for the 5008 but there doesnt seem to be much difference than the 3008. Have you had a look at the online manual for the 3008/5008 as you can compare the features to the 905.

manual www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/1466048/Manual_TX-NR3008_5008_En.pdf

Thanks for the reply, what front effect speakers are you using?

By the way I have FRONT HIGH, FRONT, CENTER, SURROUND AND REAR SURROUNDS AND A SUB. 9.1 SET UP . I dont have room for front wides and if I did I would not be able to use my rear back speakers ! The 5008 cant drive 11.2 only 9.2 max.

By the way I have FRONT HIGH, FRONT, CENTER, SURROUND AND REAR SURROUNDS AND A SUB. 9.1 SET UP . I dont have room for front wides and if I did I would not be able to use my rear back speakers ! The 5008 cant drive 11.2 only 9.2 max.

Which front effect speakers are you using?

I think he means what make and model of speakers you are using.

yeah just been thinking that and come back to answer. Not enough coffee in me to think yet ..lol !!

Mordaunt short msb-20 bipolar angled ( hung ) in each corner. The reason being I didnt want anything too big and compared to some normal bookshelf ones I tried the bipolar worked better .

The general rule isnt bipolar and origanally was going for ms 902 bookshelfs but I wouldnt have enough room to angle them at DSX recomendation of 45 degrees and they would look awful where I wanted them .

yeah just been thinking that and come back to answer. Not enough coffee in me to think yet ..lol !!

Mordaunt short msb-20 bipolar angled ( hung ) in each corner. The reason being I didnt want anything too big and compared to some normal bookshelf ones I tried the bipolar worked better .

I feel a bit like that today as well. :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about some height speakers, but can't really do it until I sell my current speakers.

It's interesting that you chose biploes, so I'm just wondering exactly how you have them positioned. Are they mounted with the back side flat on the front wall? Or angled in the corners?

Edit: My question sounds daft after you said you have them angled in the corners. I was just trying to work out if you have the speakers physically angled in the corners, or if you are using the angled design of the speakers to create the angle. If that makes more sense.

Last edited:
I feel a bit like that today as well. :rolleyes:

I've been thinking about some height speakers, but can't really do it until I sell my current speakers.

It's interesting that you chose biploes, so I'm just wondering exactly how you have them positioned. Are they mounted with the back side flat on the front wall? Or angled in the corners?

Yeah angles in the corner

Yeah angles in the corner

I've always had dipoles for surround and rears, so I can understand how bipoles would work well for you. Room size can sometimes limit certain things, but I think a lot of it is down to personal preference to be honest. If I took any notice of recommendations I would probably have a cheap all-in-one system. :D

Rather dark pic but cant get a better one !

Thanks, that's what thought. Using bipole speakers obviously spreads the sound nicely and would work really well after XT32 has adjusted the timing to match the main speakers. It's certainly something to think about. :)

I have been reading this thread with interest as it is my intention to upgrade to the 3008 once I get my V+ box upgraded to the Tivo version. The size, weight, power and heat scares me a bit, so the 1008 might be more appropriate. However it does not have "Dolby Volume" which is supposed to stop adverts shouting at you & maintain a standard of output volume. Switching between HD & SD programs also has me jumping for the remote to my old Yamaha.
I would be grateful for advice on how the 3008/5008 performs with sound levels when watching tv.
Thanks.

I have been reading this thread with interest as it is my intention to upgrade to the 3008 once I get my V+ box upgraded to the Tivo version. The size, weight, power and heat scares me a bit, so the 1008 might be more appropriate. However it does not have "Dolby Volume" which is supposed to stop adverts shouting at you & maintain a standard of output volume. Switching between HD & SD programs also has me jumping for the remote to my old Yamaha.
I would be grateful for advice on how the 3008/5008 performs with sound levels when watching tv.
Thanks.

Once DYNAMIC VOLUME is selected it is very good at keeping everything at a constant volume. Basically it compressing sound to be the same when watching any source and can be done in 3 modes light, medium or heavy compression. I dont use it though as I watch movies only through my projector ( but tried it on bbc iplayer etc and it does work )

Thanks for that. I know I am being a bit dim, but these amps. are full of technology that I have never used. All three 008's have Audyssey Dynamic Volume, but only the larger two have Dolby Volume. If you have found that the Audyssey tech'. manages to control high volume adverts then my problem is resolved & I can go for the1008.

Thanks for that. I know I am being a bit dim, but these amps. are full of technology that I have never used. All three 008's have Audyssey Dynamic Volume, but only the larger two have Dolby Volume. If you have found that the Audyssey tech'. manages to control high volume adverts then my problem is resolved & I can go for the1008.

Your not dim, technology just moves to fast and its hard to keep up. I hope to keep this amp for many years ! I am learning new things all the time even with the 5008. Too many settings , and listening mode combinations to try out !! I believe I am happy with my settings now and back to actually watching movies without playing around ! Hope you enjoy the 1008 ! Forums are fantastic for advice !

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom