Onkyo 08 models or older - FLAC streaming support?

Webbserver

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise if they are able to stream FLAC formatted files to their Onkyo (models 08 or older)? I'm sure I've read that this is possible.

I have an Onkyo PR-SC5508 (pre/pro version of the 5008) and can stream WAV and MP3 files from a Popcorn Hour used as a NAS server, but FLAC files just aren't displayed.

The Onkyo instruction manual reads (page 70): 'For remote playback, this product does not support the following music file formats: FLAC and Ogg Vorbis.'
I'm not clear what this means as the manual also reads (page 69): 'For server playback, the AV controller supports the following music file formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, AAC and LPCM. Not all servers support all formats'.

I'm confused and would like to clarify if the issue is with my Onkyo AV processor or the Popcorn Hour.

Can anyone put me out of my misery?

Cheers
Steve

My old 1007 streams flac and my 3008 also does without any problems,

So it's the Popcorn Hour then?
Can I ask what equipment you are using to stream to your AVR?

Cheers
Steve

All my music files are on a USB hard drive into the PC. I don't use windows media player as it doesn't work on the pc for some reason. TBH I stream music through the squeezebox with ipeng as I find it easier to use, if I stream music using the avr I have to have the tv on to see what's happening but it works just fine.

I really don't want to be streaming from a PC anyway, so thats not an option.

Can I clarify, are you saying that you can stream FLAC files from the Squeezebox to your AVR using the NET/USB input on the Onkyo or are they just connected via HDMI or COAX?

I use the 'Oremote' iOS app to directly control my Onkyo when streaming which I find very user friendly and it allows me to view and control currently playing music file data on the iPad/iPhone without having to turn the TV on. Works great with MP3 files I just wish it would work with FLAC files or perhaps it would if I used a Squeeze box in place of the Popcorn Hour?

Cheers
Steve

I only use the squeezebox as I already had it before I got the 1007 so was used to how it worked. I also use the oremote app, but never really looked at it for the net USB function. The 1007 doesn't have a USB on it so until recently I've not had the option of plugging a hard drive or memory stick in. The flac files just stream over my network and the 1007 @ 3008 pick it up when I select net USB.

I'll copy some files to a USB stick and plug that directly into the onkyo and see what happens.

I mentioned windows media player because my son used to use it to managed his MP3 player, every time he used it the squeezebox had to be reconfigured. I now remember uninstalling it.

I'll report back in a bit when I've got a chance to get on the computer.

I've just copied an album in flac to a USB stick and it reads fine

I fear I may have confused you. My Onkyo 5508 has absolutely no problem reading FLAC files from an external hard drive plugged into the USB ports. The issue I have is it won't read FLAC files when streamed over my network via my Popcorn Hour.
When I press the NET/USB input several times to get the Server input it discovers the Popcorn Hour as 'UPnP AV Server'. I then get the option to select ALL MUSIC, ARTIST, ALBUM etc,. All the MP3 and WAV files on the Popcorn Hour hard drive are visible and play fine but no FLAC????

The reason I favour this method over a USB external hard drive plugged into the Onkyo directly, is that the USB direct method only permits play by a single folder at a time, so it's not possible to play by Artist or indeed play All Music unless you have no sub folders. Where as the network method allows full flexibility by Artist, album and even All Music just like on an iPod.

I'm not yet familiar with the Squeezebox so can you confirm how you stream from it to your Onkyo AVR? With the Popcorn Hour my Onkyo simply discovers it when I select the the Server input via the NET/USB button - is it the same method with the Squeezebox?

Cheers
Steve

Unfortunately Logitech decided to stop production of the squeezebox but it was and still is a great piece of kit and was cheap, probably too cheep. It's just another source in that its connected to the pre pro and also connects wired or wifi to your PC or nas and plays your music. I use a what was called a squeezebox duet which is a small box about 4" x6".
These were sold on their own or with a remote, mine is just the receiver but with a small program called udap it can be easily configured to work using other remotes such as Sony psp or iOS. The last one they made was the touch. Apparently the dacs they use in them are really good. I have always as much as possible kept the music side of things as seperate as possible using linn power amps and splitting the signal from the avr to a linn pre amp.

Sorry Steve I'm waffling, I've had a couple beers. Hopefully this will make sense, it is a really good product and worth getting a second hand unit, the ipeng app is great it will even make your iPhone or iPad play what is being played through your system

Thanks fella, I think I'll just pick one up for a play from the classifieds.
Thanks for your input and have another beer on me!
Just about to crack a bottle open myself.
Cheers
Steve

Just because a device can read certain file types from a drive in the USB input, it does not necessarily follow that it can stream the same file types and resolutions over the network.

One solution to your particular problem would be to run a UPnP/DLNA server that has the ability to be configured to decode/transcode (convert while streaming) the unsupported FLAC format to the supported WAV format. This is a bit perfect process, since it's the conversion of one lossless format to another, so no loss in sound quality. There are several excellent UPnP/DLNA servers that can do this and can be installed to run on your pc to access the music files on the attached USB hard drive. Servers such as JRiver, Minimserver (free) and the Foobar2000 player with the foo_UPnP plugin (also free). What's really cool about this process is that it also preserves all the tag music category data from the original FLAC file, meaning that the WAV file would appear in the same album, artist, genre & any other music category folder that the FLAC file would have appeared in if it was supported by your Onkyo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
Although I'm quite long in the tooth when it comes to home cinema equipment, I have to admit this streaming business is new and alien to me.
I'm informed in another post that the issue is not with my Onkyo pre/pro but with the Popcorn Hour as it can't stream FLAC files via UPnP / DLNA.
Your solution sounds perfect, however, running a PC as part of it isn't an option.

Can you or anyone else advise of a piece of a equipment I can pick up used from the classifieds that will facilitate streaming to my Onkyo without a PC in the loop?
Cheers
Steve

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom