onkoy 507 - how good? + what are best speakers to match?

lesz

Standard Member
Reaction score
After a bit of searching I am looking to buy an onkyo 507. Does anybody have any experience of this amp? How good is it? Is there anything better in the £300 price range?

Also what speakers would you recommend to match this receiver? Price £200 -£300.

I have a sony 46 w4500 + sony bdp 550 and virgin + cable box. I am not looking to play music or play games but just to get the best sound for movies + tv.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Is there anything better in the £300 price range?

The Sony STRDH800, currently available for pre order from Play.com for £280 and expected in the UK toward the end of next month:
Play.com (UK) : Sony STR-DH800 Receiver : Electronics - Free Delivery

You might even want to consider the Onkyo TX-SR606? This model is now discontinued, but is better spec'd than the 507 and you can now buy one for £350:
http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/default.aspx?CategoryID=404&ItemID=Onkyo_TXSR606_B-Stock

Also what speakers would you recommend to match this receiver? Price £200 -£300.

I'd recommend you take a look at:

KEF KHT1005.2 £230:
KEF KHT1005.2-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Tannoy SFX5.1 £200:
TANNOY SFX5.1-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Better still would be the Wharfdale Diamond 9 HCP 5.1 for £350:
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM (LIMITED EDITION, WALNUT FINISH) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4281 for details

Last edited:
I have had the 507 for a couple of days now and so far am very pleased with it. Was especially pleased with the 4 HDMI inputs, and 4 Digital sound Inputs (2 Coaxial and 2 Optical).

Have just partnered it with Mordaunt Short Alumni's, very stylish and superb sound reproduction considering the very small size of them.

Have just partnered it with Mordaunt Short Alumni's, very stylish and superb sound reproduction considering the very small size of them.

ermmm,

I'd imagine them to be a bit bright for the Onkyo though?

I'd recommend taking a look at the Marantz 4002 or 4003. The 4002 was available for £260 when I checked yesterday and the newer version - the 4003 is around £340. Both give good performance, especially with music and are a class above the 507 etc. Only real let down is 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. Both will do hd audio though.

Thanks

If I got the 507 would the jamo 102s be a good match? If not what could be in the £250 price range? Music is not a big deal as I am more interested in movie and TV sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom