onkoy 507 - how good? + what are best speakers to match?

lesz

Standard Member
After a bit of searching I am looking to buy an onkyo 507. Does anybody have any experience of this amp? How good is it? Is there anything better in the £300 price range?

Also what speakers would you recommend to match this receiver? Price £200 -£300.

I have a sony 46 w4500 + sony bdp 550 and virgin + cable box. I am not looking to play music or play games but just to get the best sound for movies + tv.

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Is there anything better in the £300 price range?

The Sony STRDH800, currently available for pre order from Play.com for £280 and expected in the UK toward the end of next month:
Play.com (UK) : Sony STR-DH800 Receiver : Electronics - Free Delivery

You might even want to consider the Onkyo TX-SR606? This model is now discontinued, but is better spec'd than the 507 and you can now buy one for £350:
http://www.hyperfi.co.uk/default.aspx?CategoryID=404&ItemID=Onkyo_TXSR606_B-Stock

Also what speakers would you recommend to match this receiver? Price £200 -£300.

I'd recommend you take a look at:

KEF KHT1005.2 £230:
KEF KHT1005.2-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Tannoy SFX5.1 £200:
TANNOY SFX5.1-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Better still would be the Wharfdale Diamond 9 HCP 5.1 for £350:
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9 HCP HOME CINEMA SPEAKER SYSTEM (LIMITED EDITION, WALNUT FINISH) - available from Superfi UK Visit http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/4281 for details

Last edited:

MediaMawk

Novice Member
I have had the 507 for a couple of days now and so far am very pleased with it. Was especially pleased with the 4 HDMI inputs, and 4 Digital sound Inputs (2 Coaxial and 2 Optical).

Have just partnered it with Mordaunt Short Alumni's, very stylish and superb sound reproduction considering the very small size of them.

Tone-uk

I'd recommend taking a look at the Marantz 4002 or 4003. The 4002 was available for £260 when I checked yesterday and the newer version - the 4003 is around £340. Both give good performance, especially with music and are a class above the 507 etc. Only real let down is 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. Both will do hd audio though.

lesz

Standard Member
Thanks

If I got the 507 would the jamo 102s be a good match? If not what could be in the £250 price range? Music is not a big deal as I am more interested in movie and TV sound.

bobbymax

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom