Ongoing You Tube project should I upgrade to Panasonic HDC-TM900?

Bob38

Standard Member
Hi Everyone

Great to have the chance to talk with other people who own Panasonic camcorders and use editing software.

:lease:

I appreciate my post is long but if anyone can be kind enough to read it and give me some feedback it would be massively appreciated (understatement).

I am strongly considering getting up to date at long last and buying a Panasonic HDCTM900 or HS900 and buying and learning Sony Vegas HD editing software but is it worth it or should I stick to what I have???????

I presently own a second hand NVGS400 Mini DV camcorder bought from ebay for £270 and I use windows movie maker 2.1 (XP) editing software. I have a rode NT3 external mic, which I am made up with by the way (recommended). I have a budget home studio using clamp lights and normal (CFL) bulbs not 5500 k balanced. Plus tripod and mic stand. Basically everything I need.

I am getting great footage on tape uploading into WMM as DV-AVI (PAL) so not to compress the original footage and after trying various export setting I have found that exporting as DV-AVI has given the best quality when uploaded to you tube displayed at 360p and 480p.Realise this is very inefficient as I am creating big files but my videos are only short (i.e.) 2-6 min and the file size is within you tubes upload guidelines. If I use a compressed WMV setting it is nowhere near as good quality wise compared to uploaded DV-AVI un compressed footage??? I have a lot of hard drives so size of files is not a problem (storage wise) plus I have my original source footage on tapes as back up.

My reason for buying the camera is a want to get an important ongoing project started that’s sole purpose is to upload good quality video to you tube so they can be embedded on my future wordpress site .I have no other reason to own a camcorder and don’t need to watch footage on T.V or make DVD’s. I don’t even need it for vacations.

All this camcorder does is sit on a tripod indoors in my studio and shoot footage of me dressed as a whispering cat telling stories (weird I know!!!!!!!)
Everything is standardised so I get the same look each time I shoot. I stay seated but do sometimes move dynamically. I set my camcorder to manual but leave white balance and shutter /iris to auto but have found for some reason setting focus to manual causes less blurring during dynamic movement compared to if it is set to automatic focus??

I originally had and used an old Panasonic NVGS280 (Really like Panasonic!), which is not a patch on my NVGS400.

My concern is before I spend hours /days and months shooting video for my project, which will be ongoing, I am concerned that I am going about this the wrong way and working with inappropriate equipment?

The difference in upload quality between my original Panasonic NVGS280 and my newer but second hand NVGS400 is very noticeable.

Basically guys will the new Panasonic HDCTM900 /HS900 really improve on my NVGS400 in terms of web video quality ?

If I upgrade I will have to upgrade and learn Sony Vegas which I don’t mind doing as it is a good investment of my time .I realise you can upload 1080/50p (HD) to you tube and other video sharing sites like Vimeo or even pay to use wordpress’s own videopress. However not everyone can view it well if their broadband connection is n’t fast enough. Which means a lot of You Tube video shot in 1080/50p are best watched back in 360p or 480p.

One positive is my HD footage will be usable in the future when more people can watch HD video well on the net.

So I either stick with what I have and get going or I

Buy new camcorder (£700-900)
New proper video light kit £390 (3 super soft box using balanced 550k bulbs)
Better tripod (£60 - £100)
Sony Vegas software (£80)

I have been saving up over the years so I can afford to invest this money if needed.

Another benefit is I will have this new camcorder from new so I know it will be looked after and will also get extra warranty on it.

Plus it is recording in a more user friendly compressed footage which is more suited to uploading to you tube.

Or am I being stupid and what I am getting now is good enough and can’t be noticeably improved?

To give you an idea of what I am getting now if you have time please see below link to unlisted video on you tube less tan 1 minute long. Realise I look and sound a bit daft as a whispering fully grown man dressed as a cat but hey life is too short!!

If you were me what would you do?

If anyone can reply to this post I can’t thank you enough and massive appreciation in advance.

Bob :)

Last edited:

chrishull3

Hi Everyone

Great to have the chance to talk with other people who own Panasonic camcorders and use editing software.

:lease:

I appreciate my post is long but if anyone can be kind enough to read it and give me some feedback it would be massively appreciated (understatement).

I am strongly considering getting up to date at long last and buying a Panasonic HDCTM900 or HS900 and buying and learning Sony Vegas HD editing software but is it worth it or should I stick to what I have???????

I presently own a second hand NVGS400 Mini DV camcorder bought from ebay for £270 and I use windows movie maker 2.1 (XP) editing software. I have a rode NT3 external mic, which I am made up with by the way (recommended). I have a budget home studio using clamp lights and normal (CFL) bulbs not 5500 k balanced. Plus tripod and mic stand. Basically everything I need.

I am getting great footage on tape uploading into WMM as DV-AVI (PAL) so not to compress the original footage and after trying various export setting I have found that exporting as DV-AVI has given the best quality when uploaded to you tube displayed at 360p and 480p.Realise this is very inefficient as I am creating big files but my videos are only short (i.e.) 2-6 min and the file size is within you tubes upload guidelines. If I use a compressed WMV setting it is nowhere near as good quality wise compared to uploaded DV-AVI un compressed footage??? I have a lot of hard drives so size of files is not a problem (storage wise) plus I have my original source footage on tapes as back up.

My reason for buying the camera is a want to get an important ongoing project started that’s sole purpose is to upload good quality video to you tube so they can be embedded on my future wordpress site .I have no other reason to own a camcorder and don’t need to watch footage on T.V or make DVD’s. I don’t even need it for vacations.

All this camcorder does is sit on a tripod indoors in my studio and shoot footage of me dressed as a whispering cat telling stories (weird I know!!!!!!!)
Everything is standardised so I get the same look each time I shoot. I stay seated but do sometimes move dynamically. I set my camcorder to manual but leave white balance and shutter /iris to auto but have found for some reason setting focus to manual causes less blurring during dynamic movement compared to if it is set to automatic focus??

I originally had and used an old Panasonic NVGS280 (Really like Panasonic!), which is not a patch on my NVGS400.

My concern is before I spend hours /days and months shooting video for my project, which will be ongoing, I am concerned that I am going about this the wrong way and working with inappropriate equipment?

The difference in upload quality between my original Panasonic NVGS280 and my newer but second hand NVGS400 is very noticeable.

Basically guys will the new Panasonic HDCTM900 /HS900 really improve on my NVGS400 in terms of web video quality ?

If I upgrade I will have to upgrade and learn Sony Vegas which I don’t mind doing as it is a good investment of my time .I realise you can upload 1080/50p (HD) to you tube and other video sharing sites like Vimeo or even pay to use wordpress’s own videopress. However not everyone can view it well if their broadband connection is n’t fast enough. Which means a lot of You Tube video shot in 1080/50p are best watched back in 360p or 480p.

One positive is my HD footage will be usable in the future when more people can watch HD video well on the net.

So I either stick with what I have and get going or I

Buy new camcorder (£700-900)
New proper video light kit £390 (3 super soft box using balanced 550k bulbs)
Better tripod (£60 - £100)
Sony Vegas software (£80)

I have been saving up over the years so I can afford to invest this money if needed.

Another benefit is I will have this new camcorder from new so I know it will be looked after and will also get extra warranty on it.

Plus it is recording in a more user friendly compressed footage which is more suited to uploading to you tube.

Or am I being stupid and what I am getting now is good enough and can’t be noticeably improved?

To give you an idea of what I am getting now if you have time please see below link to unlisted video on you tube less tan 1 minute long. Realise I look and sound a bit daft as a whispering fully grown man dressed as a cat but hey life is too short!!

PANASONIC NVGS400 MINI DV CAMCORDER TEST (DV-AVI) PAL VIDEO FILE UNCOMPRESSED - YouTube

If you were me what would you do?

If anyone can reply to this post I can’t thank you enough and massive appreciation in advance.

Bob :)

If all you are going to do with a cam is make films for you tube a top of the range cam like the TM900 is not needed IMO,there are many a lot less expensive with PQ capable of making you tube films.

chrishull3

If all you are going to do with a cam is make films for you tube a top of the range cam like the TM900 is not needed IMO,there are many a lot less expensive with PQ capable of making you tube films.

Of course things like external mic input also are less widely available on cheaper models.

Bob38

Standard Member
Cheers Chris for the feedback

What cheaper models of camcorder do you recommend and in terms of PQ do you mean the type of mini DV tape??

The video posted is shot on a old NVGS400 using PQ mini DV tapes.

Cheers

Bob

chrishull3

Cheers Chris for the feedback

What cheaper models of camcorder do you recommend and in terms of PQ do you mean the type of mini DV tape??

The video posted is shot on a old NVGS400 using PQ mini DV tapes.

Cheers

Bob

No Bob have a look at all the mid range AVCHD cams from canon pana sony etc,you know what specs you need
Level Camcorder Reviews and Ratings ? Best Entry Level Camcorders
Find a camcorder with our lab tested reviews and ratings - Camcorders - Independent Camcorder Reviews, Ratings & Comparisons
camcorderinfo has the specs and and review of many cams,good luck Chris

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom