Quantcast

Ongoing: PlasmaDan's Living Room Cinema / Office Build

Plasma Dan

Hi dan.
Great thread, can I ask where the dust filter material came from? I have done a bit of googling but haven't had any luck finding that sort of size.
Cheers.
I had the same problem. The only place I could find that sold it in large enough sheets was ModDIY: Premium Dust Filter Material (50cm x 40cm x 5mm)

Delivery was cheap; from Hong Kong. :smashin:

Dan.

peter-d-w

Hi Dan. Please could you post a link to your RGB LED's supplier. Are you still intending to control these with a Pi?

Regards,

Peter

Plasma Dan

Hi Dan. Please could you post a link to your RGB LED's supplier.
The supplier is a Chinese company called iPixel LED: http://www.ipixelleds.com/?fproduct/l2/i31
They sell through Alibaba here: APA102 led Strip, APA102 led Strip direct from Shenzhen iPixel LED Light Co., Ltd. in China (Mainland)

Are you still intending to control these with a Pi?
Yes. This is the reason for choosing the APA102C type LEDs. Unlike most addressable LEDs, the APA102C uses separate clock and data pins, so they will operate at whatever frequency you want; ideal for use with the Rpi. :smashin: More info on that here: Adafruit DotStar Digital LED Strip - White 60 LED - Per Meter [WHITE] ID: 2240 - $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Also, since Adafruit sell a rebrand of the exact same LEDs (at a largely inflated price :censored:); you can refer to their documentation to get them working. :smashin: Info on that here: Overview | Adafruit DotStar LEDs | Adafruit Learning System

Dan.

peter-d-w

The supplier is a Chinese company called iPixel LED: http://www.ipixelleds.com/?fproduct/l2/i31
They sell through Alibaba here: APA102 led Strip, APA102 led Strip direct from Shenzhen iPixel LED Light Co., Ltd. in China (Mainland)

Yes. This is the reason for choosing the APA102C type LEDs. Unlike most addressable LEDs, the APA102C uses separate clock and data pins, so they will operate at whatever frequency you want; ideal for use with the Rpi. :smashin: More info on that here: Adafruit DotStar Digital LED Strip - White 60 LED - Per Meter [WHITE] ID: 2240 - $29.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

Also, since Adafruit sell a rebrand of the exact same LEDs (at a largely inflated price :censored:); you can refer to their documentation to get them working. :smashin: Info on that here: Overview | Adafruit DotStar LEDs | Adafruit Learning System

Dan.
Thanks Dan, That is very helpful. I have emailed them to ask for a quote but the APA102 strips are out of stock. What do I need to buy to build a Rpi controller for these please?
Regards,

Peter

Last edited:

markc123

Novice Member
Read the whole thing, awesome work.

I'm interested in the performance of the work you have done soundproofing - from what I understand you have screwed battens to the walls, then resilient bar, then the double plasterboard / green glue combo.

I can hear next doors TV / child through my walls (terrace, think its 3 courses of brick), so I assume my home cinema setup can be heard on the other side. What you have done is what I think is the best option for me, hopefully decent performance without sacrificing too much room. Do you have any idea on how much attenuation you are getting from this?

Plasma Dan

Thanks Dan, That is very helpful. I have emailed them to ask for a quote but the APA102 strips are out of stock. What do I need to buy to build a Rpi controller for these please?
Regards,

Peter
All you really need is a logic level shifter. The LEDs work on 5V logic, but the Rpi uses 3.3V, so you just need any logic level shifter like the one Adafruit sell here: 74AHCT125 - Quad Level-Shifter (3V to 5V) [74AHCT125] ID: 1787 - $1.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

The LEDs connect to the Rpi similar to this, but with the logic level shifter in-between.

You can use Adafruit's Python Module to get started with the code: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_DotStar_Pi/archive/master.zip

I still need to write some scripts to make the LEDs work the way I want, plus a basic web interface to select colours & modes etc.

Dan.

Plasma Dan

Read the whole thing, awesome work.

I'm interested in the performance of the work you have done soundproofing - from what I understand you have screwed battens to the walls, then resilient bar, then the double plasterboard / green glue combo.

I can hear next doors TV / child through my walls (terrace, think its 3 courses of brick), so I assume my home cinema setup can be heard on the other side. What you have done is what I think is the best option for me, hopefully decent performance without sacrificing too much room. Do you have any idea on how much attenuation you are getting from this?
I never measured anything as such, but I don't hear noises from either side any more. :smashin: When compared to upstairs which isn't soundproofed it becomes very apparent that the soundproofing downstairs is working. :rolleyes: The only noises I hear downstairs are from outside.

As with a lot of things the performance depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice in terms of space. I was limited by the door openings mainly. You could easily add more / thicker plasterboard to increase the mass, but eventually there's a point of diminishing returns. That's where the Green Glue should help a lot. :)

Dan.

peter-d-w

All you really need is a logic level shifter. The LEDs work on 5V logic, but the Rpi uses 3.3V, so you just need any logic level shifter like the one Adafruit sell here: 74AHCT125 - Quad Level-Shifter (3V to 5V) [74AHCT125] ID: 1787 - $1.50 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

The LEDs connect to the Rpi similar to this, but with the logic level shifter in-between.

You can use Adafruit's Python Module to get started with the code: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_DotStar_Pi/archive/master.zip

I still need to write some scripts to make the LEDs work the way I want, plus a basic web interface to select colours & modes etc.

Dan.
Thanks Dan. I have been contacted by one of the Ali Baba companies who say that the Taiwanese manufacturer of APA 102 s isn't going to make them anymore. I don't know how true that is or if they were trying to persuade me to buy different strips which they already had in stock. I'm not in a rush so I will be waiting for a while.

jaipal2004

QUick question..... what is the 'system' you've used to create your soffit frame? Thinking about utilising it to create a pelmet around the home cinema / living room for some mood lighting and ideally want to keep away from wood if I can help it!

KishB

Wow it's taken me 2 days of reading on a train and its past midnight and I've just got to the end of this thread for now. What an absolutely great build; love those braided cable makes it look like a pro!

Plasma Dan

Thanks Dan. I have been contacted by one of the Ali Baba companies who say that the Taiwanese manufacturer of APA 102 s isn't going to make them anymore. I don't know how true that is or if they were trying to persuade me to buy different strips which they already had in stock. I'm not in a rush so I will be waiting for a while.
They don't seem to be very popular LEDs, but most addressable ones aren't. If they stop selling them they're probably planning to release a new version. ;)

Doesn't matter to me, as-long as we have at-least some basic guides to get them working I don't mind what type they are. :)

I have an idea on how to detect when the xbox connects over the network using the RPi, and trigger a pre-programmed light effect as the xbox boots-up. :cool: This is just one of many great reasons to have addressable LEDs. :smashin:

Dan.

Plasma Dan

QUick question..... what is the 'system' you've used to create your soffit frame? Thinking about utilising it to create a pelmet around the home cinema / living room for some mood lighting and ideally want to keep away from wood if I can help it!

No 'system', just came-up with a design I liked and built it. :) Lots of info about the soffits on page 3 here: Ongoing: PlasmaDan's Living Room Cinema / Office Build

Any reason you're opposed to using wood? :suicide:
I guess you could frame it out and use plasterboard instead, depending on the design. Personally I think MDF / wood framing is the best option for something like this. :smashin: If you're concerned about fire you could frame it in steel instead, and use any decent flame retardant sheet material such as plasterboard, or even flame retardant MDF (if you can find it).

Dan.

Rob5ft19in

I'm pretty new to the forums and have been trawling the home cinema threads for inspiration. I'm blown away by the workmanship and ingenuity shown here. I wish I possessed 10% of your skills - consider my hat tipped in your general direction, sir!

stevejames

Standard Member
Dan I hold you entirely responsible for my purchase today...

SJP_0563-Edit.jpg

Cracking thread - your attention to detail and solutions to problems are first class. Looking forward to future updates.

lovehathi

Novice Member
Hi Dan
Just wondering did made the audrino addressable led kit for ht. Can you shed some light how u did that.
thanks

Plasma Dan

Hi Dan
Just wondering did made the audrino addressable led kit for ht. Can you shed some light how u did that.
thanks
The controller is meant to work with the Raspberry Pi (B, B+, 2, 3). I'm using a spare R-Pi B+ I have already. I may upgrade to a faster model at a later date if the web server is too slow.

The PCB design was done in Eagle CAD. The inspiration for the controller came from reading Adafruit's documentation of their DotStar LEDs here (same as APA102C). The interface between the LEDs, and other parts of the controller are relatively simple; so you could convert it to work with Arduino if you so desired.

I've not actually got the final PCB yet, as I'm still tweaking the design a bit. I have everything working on breadboard. :smashin:

The LEDs are due to arrive from China on Monday (finally), so once I have them I'll confirm they operate as desired, then get the PCB design sent-off for printing. :smashin:

This is the current PCB design:

I swapped the redundant relay channels for two AC detection circuits instead. They allow the R-Pi to detect when the lights are actually on/off directly, since the 2-way operation of the relays & switches makes this difficult. This should make for a much better-looking web GUI; when I get the time to put that together. :rolleyes:

I quickly put together this diagram so you can get an idea of how everything connects to the controller (at-least on the current version):

(Larger Version)

I'll show things working (assuming they do :p) very soon. :smashin:

Dan.

peter-d-w

Looks great Dan! Would you be willing to build one for me too please, if you have the time? [emoji5]

Last edited:

Plasma Dan

Looks great Dan! Would you be willing to build one for me too please, if you have the time? [emoji5]
Can do :smashin: ...I'll have to figure-out how much everything costs and price one up. :smashin:

Started development of a GUI this week. Got all the Python coding out of the way so the motor control & "cycle colour preset" buttons work nicely, and respond quicker than I expected via the temporary web GUI. Just finishing-up the PCB ready for printing. :)

Here's a demo of the LEDs in action. :smashin:

Only basic colour cycle for now, I'm working on some cool light effects. :cool:

Dan.

peter-d-w

Thanks Dan. Very kind of you. I will look forward to seeing further developments. I haven't heard anything from China myself yet. I asked them to contact me when they had stock but it looks like I should have ordered anyway.

Plasma Dan

Thanks Dan. Very kind of you.
No problem. :smashin:

I haven't heard anything from China myself yet. I asked them to contact me when they had stock but it looks like I should have ordered anyway.
When I first contacted them they said the same, they did let me know when they were back in stock about a month later. :smashin:

Don't forget to order an LED driver with them also. I got a 350W driver from the same seller. I paid just over £130 for 15 meters (3 rolls), including the LED driver & delivery. :smashin:

Here's the current progress of the web GUI working. Just got the dimmer control working. :thumbsup:

I think I'll stick with this type of GUI with a swatch of colours, rather than using a colour picker. I think it makes it easier to choose a colour, plus it's nice to be able to remember the name of a colour and use it again. :rolleyes:

Dan.

Plasma Dan

PCBs arrived from PCBway.com :clap:

I'm impressed with the quality of the boards, I was worried they might have jagged edges or something, but they're actually pretty great. :smashin:

The thing I'm most impressed with was the delivery time! I ordered them on Tuesday, they arrived at my door Saturday morning. :eek: I've never had a delivery come so fast from China.

Not bad considering I originally chose PCBway because they were the cheapest. :censored: So I will definitely be using PCBway.com again in the future, and can recommend them to anyone. :smashin:

I went with a red solder-mask (because green is boring). :rolleyes:

Assembled & tested, works like a charm. :thumbsup:

Dan.

Last edited:

peter-d-w

PCBs arrived from PCBway.com :clap:

I'm impressed with the quality of the boards, I was worried they might have jagged edges or something, but they're actually pretty great. :smashin:

The thing I'm most impressed with was the delivery time! I ordered them on Tuesday, they arrived at my door Saturday morning. :eek: I've never had a delivery come so fast from China.

Not bad considering I originally chose PCBway because they were the cheapest. :censored: So I will definitely be using PCBway.com again in the future, and can recommend them to anyone. :smashin:

I went with a red solder-mask (because green is boring). :rolleyes:

Assembled & tested, works like a charm. [emoji106]

Dan.
Very impressive Dan!