One up, One down PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by sleepylaser, Mar 16, 2006.

1. sleepylaser

sleepylaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    ...Or two up, two down if you like

Post your good/evil balanced opinions here. No unbalanced posts allowed- even if you have to come up with something daft to even things up.

2 up
    Worldwide launch- It's better that there's the possibility of bagging a PS3 at launch rather than everyone having to wait because someone too slow to get to the front of the queue is jealous. Looks like Sony will take Europe more seriously this time- maybe even get games within weeks (rather than months) of Japanese launch too.
    Backwards compatability- I get to play ICO and SOTC in 720p :thumbsup:

2 down
    Blu-Ray disc only PS3 launches- It's clearly not necessary- the same current quantity of HD gaming (that I have time to play through) can fit on a dvd.
    Ambiguous HDD anouncement- I'm convinced it's going to be a seperate add on. Otherwise Sony would have said it's built in- they control the platform so why would they even consider a PS3 without one unless it was an extra? Think this'll be how they can launch the unit at around £350 (then charging extra for the HDD- probably not required for movies, or PS2 games).

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    I would say that having the ability to play HD games and watch HD movies right out of the box is one up.
    (it wasnt a guarantee untill now)

The other 1 up would be supporting HDMI 1.3

1 down, the added cost of having everything come on BD Roms.

the other downer would be how they are ripping off everyones ideas. (xboxes live, and nintendos downloadable back catalog)

3. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Because no one's ever done that before in videogames have they!

4. sleepylaser

sleepylaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    And the first one to feel they have to defend the massive corporation is.... Jedi Jae :boring: . Just because everyone else does it doesn't make it ok.
    Try only critiscizing/praising one machine at a time.

5. Ratinho

Ratinho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Erm, it is ok tbh.

'This company have a great idea, shall we implement something similar?'

'No.'

'Hmmmmm, ok.'

6. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Sorry, but am I wrong? If people didn't post rubbish, then others wouldn't have to correct them. You best start a topic about all the companies that make DVD players, look, there's loads of them, they can't all have invented the format, they just copy each others ideas. And god help anyone perceived to be defending sony, that's a cardinal sin on this forum isn't it ;)

PS3 + points: blu-ray movie playback, HDMI equipped.

PS3 - points: online system, can it match Live and be free? Still nothing concrete on the controller design.

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Am i being corrected here? i dont quite understand your post.

The fact of the matter is that sony are ripping off other peoples ideas.
    Surely with all that money and talent, they could come up with something original?

So far the PS3 doesnt offer anything that isnt already available or scheduled to come out later this year.

Just answer me this, Why should I buy a PS3?
    What does it offer that no other machine does?

8. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
  9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    What you are describing here is no doubt a good thing to have, but hardly original.
    Around the same time the PS3 comes out, im pretty sure we will see HD DVD players and Blu Ray players offering the same thing.
    The only difference with the PS3 will be that it should be cheaper and of course plays games too:D

10. jedi-jae

jedi-jae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    You asked for things PS3 could do that no other console could. I gave you two simple ones and that isn't enough?

Do I detect some bias here..? :devil:

11. pez

pez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Can i state that Apple, with itunes, is the pioneer here, as are Blizzard with WoW.

Live, Sonys effort, anybody elses services will all be trying to do what Apple and Blizzard have done.

thats the way markets work.

pez

12. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Why do you want your games console to be your HD movie device??
    I for one prefer separates : a games console for games and a HD dvd player for movies. Separates are likely to be better quality and if one breaks you don't lose both!
    Although Blu-Ray has slightly higher capacity I can see the cheaper HD-DVD winning the HD war so you will have a console with a very expensive and unnecessary media format.

If you think that Sony and the publishers won't find a way to charge you for online play then I think you are being naive.

13. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    In principal i agree with Jwarl, but the PS3 will be one of the first and only affordable Blu Ray players out come november.
    Eventually im sure there will be better players out, but not from day one.

HD DVD wont have as much aknowledgement from the public as BR because everyone will be talking about the PS3 and the fact that it supports BR.

HD DVD will launch with a couple of players that will probably go unoticed by the general public.

Maybe when microsoft release the drive for the 360 it will get recognized more, but till then only the hard core AV folk will be into it.

The PS3 will carry a lot of weight in deciding which format wins out.

14. Theperson45

Theperson45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UP:

High-definition movie playback, out of the box (Although it is blue-ray, which is expensive and may not survive alongside HD-DVD).

Good GPU, so the games will probably look nice, and play nice.

PS3-PC connectivity is meant to be good (Like moving movies and things between your PS3 and PC).

DOWN:

The console is likely to be too expensive, because when it is released, the Xbox 360 which is equally performing but cheaper, will probably have already had a price-drop.

The online service is unlikely to be as good as Xbox live. Either it will be free and bad, or it will be a subscription service and be ok.

It will be a good system, but there is too much artificial anticipation and hype about it. Remember when Mr. Sony (I know its not his name) said that 720p and 1080i are not true HD? (Despite all those Sony TV's, most of whose resolution only goes up to the standard 768x1366) And then they changed their mind and made all games on the PS3 run at 720p and 1080i. I dislike the stirring and lies that go on before the launch. It causes gullable people to get excited, which leads to impulsive purchases, and dissatisfied customers.

Anyway, it will be a nice machine.