1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One tele going back to Empire Direct now what do I do? ;-(

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by WildCard, Mar 15, 2002.

1. WildCard

WildCard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought a
    Panasonic PL1 from Empire Direct and it has a major fault which I can't live
    with. I was watching some motor racing last night and whenever the camera
    panned over the track it looked like the track was moving underneath
    something. The tube seems dirty on the inside and it's got worse throughout
    the two weeks I've had it.

Empire Direct seem to be being really good. They are going to test it for
    the faults I described and replace it if found faulty. If it's not found
    faulty then apparantly I can still change it for another tele or have my
    money back. Seems like there customer service is spot on - I guess I'll get
    some first hand experience of this over the next few weeks!!!

Anyway, I think this dirty tube issue is a general problem. Several people
    have reported it on www.avforums.com so I'm not sure that I want another one
    just to have to send it back again. So what do I change it for. Sony seems
    out cos of this 'lines on the screen' issue. Toshiba teles are apparantly
    very problematic as well. Loewe have a good rep from what I've heard but
    are well expensive. JVC seem quite good as well but they suffer from
    geometry probs (as do Sony). I'm gonna have a look round at the weekend.
    I'm going to consider non-flat screens this time as well.

Current thinking is a Panny TX32DK1 - non flat screen but not too bad, or a
    JVC 32WFT1 which people seem to like but it might have shoddy geometry. Any
    other suggestions? My criteria are a sharp picture, colours must be even
    across the screen and the tube must show a clean picture rather than
    something with dirty patches on it.

Thanks.

Darren.

2. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Toshiba tv's are no less reliable than any other brand and they do offer an excellent picture across the range, so I suggest you take a closer look at them, and, if possible, do a comparison with other makes at a multi-dealership where you can see them set-up properly.

I suspect the 'dirty' tube you are referring to is more likely to be poor digital processing which can look 'dirty'.

Good luck!

3. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I cantr understand why Tosh tv's have a problem with seemingly everyone else but me! Or my mates who have brought there tv's after vieewing mine, mine is 6 months old heavily used, and still leaves saying ahhhh when i switch it on (32zd09b). My mate has a rear projection 42" tosh.

It seems that alot of ppl who have problems with their tv's have got them through internet dealers, i got mine from coutrs (2yrs interest free). My advice is this, theres only one opinion that matters, yours, take a good dvd, lots of colour (Titan AE for example) demo it on the tosh and then u can see what im waffeling on about, then check the back cos voila, COMPONENT VIDEO!.

4. WildCard

WildCard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It's definately not digital artifacts because I get the same problem on good old analogue tele. Besides, my old TV never had this problem. I'll have another look at Tosh teles but I've a lot of people moan about the edges of the tube being less bright than the middle. The Panny has this to some extent and I didn't want to end up with something worse.

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    I know EXACTLY what you are talking about, but I think that this is a common problem on a lot of large TVs.

I have the Sony FS70 and have a 'dirty' strip down the middle (from top to bottom) which is driving my nuts.

My last FS70 had 'dirty' patches, but they were in the corner and less noticable.

Whats strange is that when pause the footage and look at a still, you can't see the problem... Its only when something pans across the screen that you see it..

I know that this might sound like digital artifacts, but its not.. Its just that the effect is so subtle, that it can't be seen when there is no movement.

I think that it might be caused by an uneven phosphor coating inside the tube, but that just an opinion.

John Lewis are sending Sony in (because I live close to their factory) and they are bringing a replacement.

I found a lot of things which clearly show the problems.. The F1 was a good example.. Everytime the camera panned from left to right, when there was a lot of grey track in the frame, it looked awful.

To really show the problem, I took my camcorder and panned around the sky doing close ups of white/grey clouds.

Unfortuantly, my friend has the 36" Toshiba and that has EXACTLY the same problem.. if anything, it was worse than the Sony, so don't hold your breath for a perfect tube.

I have a feeling that you might have to live with it.. But as long as its not in the centre of the screen (like mine is) I think that you can get used to it.

6. WildCard

WildCard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Phew, good to know that I'm not going mad. Bad to know that it's a common problem with big tele's. I think I'll ask Empire to exchange it for another PL1 and see how bad that is. My bad patches tend to be fairly large and in the corners but I've also got some smaller ones right in the centre of the screen. I just wish they were more obvious and always visible then it would definately be obviously faulty. It's more than likely well within Panny tolerances but that aint good enough really. I did look at a 28 inch Sony today showing football on Sky Sports 1 and that seems just about perfect.

Oh well, thanks for your input.

Darren

7. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think these problems are within the tolerances as stated by MDDG (Panasonic's European CRT division). I haven't dug into their tolerances that deeply but I have taken a look at the datasheet for the 32" Quintrix F and I don't think dirty patches are acceptable.

A major problem is that a TV is like a box o'chocolates ...ya never know what yar gonna get. It seems several brands are involved in a frisky swapping of components with one another, in a massive re-engineering orgy. Two sets of the same make and model, manufactured only weeks apart, may have totally different stuff inside.

My Philips 32PW9616, a TV whose picture tube changes with the seasons, has a Panasonic tube. It has dirty patches. They form two dark bands, about 5" wide, down either side. Within each band are clouds of darker and brighter areas. It is not very pretty and I'm in the process of finding another set to replace it.

8. WildCard

WildCard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That sounds pretty close to the problems I've got only yours sound a bit worse. It's just annoying on panning shots and I can see them when I'm not looking for them (damned peripheral vision!!). I had accepted the problems. Then I decided that the TV was too expensive to just put up with. Besides, if no one moans then nothing gets any better. However, I am terrified that a replacement with either be worse or have a great tube and a whole slew of new problems. Guess I can always send it back again as it's not fit for purpose IMHO.

Buying a new TV should not be this hard.

9. techno12

techno12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm in the same boat, my new Hitachi C32WF535N has a lighter vertical stripe slap bang down the middle of the screen, though it's only really noticeable during panning shots, eg when watching football matches. Really undecided what to do, no other TV in the price range has the same features (ie 3 scarts) and look as good - and sod's law rings true as this model is now discontinued. Might just get Empire to refund me, cos I just know any replacement I get will have some fault or other which may be worse!

Oh, and do the people who setup TVs in the factory ever look at the geometry in 4:3 mode (prob not I suspect) as I've never seen such a bowed picture. Good old service mode sorted that out (more or less).