One Sky Box - Use In Two Locations?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by George L, Jan 22, 2008.

1. George L

George L
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My elderly neighbour has the basic Sky installation - the one that you pay (or at least used to) a one-off £150 for. No further charges or subscriptions, and I believe she now owns the dish and the Sky box.

She wants to change the layout of her living room which will include moving the TV and Sky box to the opposite side of the room. But, she wants to be able to move it back again in the future - she is planning some kind of summer/winter change!!

She doesn't want any kind of "extension cable" to take the Sky feed across to the second location, so the question is, how can this be done?? I have a very limited knowledge of Sky installations (I don't have it myself) but hopefully my questions will make sense!!!

Could a second cable be run from the dish to the new location, leaving the original in place??

Would this require a new/replacement LNB (or does the basic one have provision for 2 feeds)??

Would there be any problem with her current "contract" - she will only ever have the one box so it would obviously only be used on one connection at a time??

She has contacted a number of local aerial/Sky installers but they have not been very helpful.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

George.

2. Platelet

Platelet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Could a second cable be run from the dish to the new location, leaving the original in place??

yep

Would this require a new/replacement LNB (or does the basic one have provision for 2 feeds)??

most probably, basic ones tend to have a single feed - sky+ installs would have a quad "feed", and some recent basic ones may have a quad LNB fitted

Would there be any problem with her current "contract" - she will only ever have the one box so it would obviously only be used on one connection at a time??

contractually it wouldn't be an issue, problem is I can see little of interest from sky's perspective in helping her out

She has contacted a number of local aerial/Sky installers but they have not been very helpful.

Shame as that was what I would have recommended. To be honest it might be the fact that it's not a big enough job to justify the time

Might be worth investigating a video sender, providing no one close by is using a wireless network - if she could live with leaving the sky box where it is, and just moving the TV

3. Jon_P

Jon_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yes, a second cable run from the dish sounds like your best option.
    The basic LNB will most likely (99% sure) be a single output LNB, so she would need a new one. i thought Sky used to have dual outputs, but can only find quads or octos these days. It would be something like this: http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/sky-quad-lnb-p-98.html

Worth considering whether to get some rubber boots for the LNB, F Connectors, self amalgamating tape, cable tidy wall grommets and decent screened satellite grade co-ax at the same time

Cheers