One sit viewing opinions - no a-b's

stevos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have just watched kingkong on my xbox hddvd drive on my 720p just under 6 foot projector screen at around 6 foot from the screen.

I haven't done any a-b's, but then what is the point you either see it or you don't. I have no plans to a-b every single purchase just to make sure i can see the difference.

My personal opinion of hddvd is massively unimpressed.

I have no doubt that if i directly compared it to a dvd disk i would think that the difference was stunning but that isn't the point.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Oh i should say i did notice an improvement in the audio which is alway good when you spend thousands on your hifi :thumbsup:

From my limited experience plus a few trailers i have dowloaded i can not see joe public buying into it unless they are doing it because the jones already have it.

watching king kong on my 42in screen i thought this film
had the best pq of any hd-dvd i had seen--oh well every one sees different i suppose:confused:

:thumbsup:
I wasn't overly impressed at first, but as time goes on, and I watch more and more, it appears to me that it isn't a case of looking for what is better. :eek:

It's more important to me when you realise that there is simply, nothing to compain about.. :D The picture on a big screen using a HD PJ is the closet to a cinema picture I've seen in a home. It's clear, crisp, the colours are vivid, no grainyness or macro blocking, no probelms with dark scenes and blacks and far more detail :smashin:

If you were expecting better for £130 then I guess I understand your disapointment. :confused:

I know what you mean.
I'm watching BBC-HD as I type and I'm also unimpressed.
I can't work out if I've just got used to HD.

I watched a bit of "Jam and Jerusalem" in SD.
I'd noticed earlier that it was on in HD too, so switched to HD for a comparison.
Unfortunately it was on half an hour later on HD so I couldn't make an A-B comparison.
But I got the impression there wasn't much, if anything in it.

I see where the yanks are coming from now.
They've either dropped the bitrates or you get used to it, I'm not sure which :confused:

Either way, it all feels over-hyped :(

I'm talking about TW cable of course and my assumptions aren't based on the proper stuff.
I'm certainly not going to rush out for a HD player now.
You're right, IMO, that if people who are looking for it, can't see it, joe public will have no interest whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong it is a good picture and is looks sharper than i remember dvd looking but then again the dvd version has a good transfer.

Like i indicated if i did an a-b or had watched a dvd earlier today i would probably have been amazed with the difference.

When i first watched dvd i had no doubt it was the future the difference between it and vhs was stunning plus chapters was a killer feature. 6-7 years later and i was right in respect of dvd.

Will hd-dvd have the same impact. I really don't know, but based on my first veiwing i have no doubt that joe public will be underwelmed. However picture/sound quality has never sold anything when it comes to the average person. What sells is image and what their friends have. Lets face it most people seriously think mp3 is cd quality

The only thing it has going for it is that the average tesco/asda/etc £50 dvdplayer is pretty poor to say the least and compared to that the improvement is huge.

The bourne supremecy (I really wish i could spell) is coming in the next couple of days and i am really really looking forward to watching it because it is one of my top 20 or so films of all time.

:thumbsup:
I wasn't overly impressed at first, but as time goes on, and I watch more and more, it appears to me that it isn't a case of looking for what is better. :eek:

It's more important to me when you realise that there is simply, nothing to compain about.. :D The picture on a big screen using a HD PJ is the closet to a cinema picture I've seen in a home. It's clear, crisp, the colours are vivid, no grainyness or macro blocking, no probelms with dark scenes and blacks and far more detail :smashin:

If you were expecting better for £130 then I guess I understand your disapointment. :confused:

Closest to a cinema picture?

I've never seen a good cinema picture :confused:
And I've been to all the top ones in Brum.
I guess I'm getting fussy :)

IMO I think you'll find more of an improvement in other films, although I agree there does seem to be a percentage (although TBH pretty small) of forum users who haven't been overly impressed with HD, there seems to be a lot of reasons, but it is something the HD companies will have to tackle.

The usual, BB, Serenity, FF Tokyo Drift, corpse Bride and hopefully BS should give you more of a wow factor.

Closest to a cinema picture?

I've never seen a good cinema picture :confused:
And I've been to all the top ones in Brum.
I guess I'm getting fussy :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: well what I meant was there was no 'digital' associated problems such as macro blocking which I've got with SD. And when you can get a 80" screen with no visable pixelation etc then again I think this is closer to the cinema than SD ever looks. And also dark scenes such as the night race in TT Tokyo Drift (near the end) seem a lot clearer, where as dark scenes with SD would loose clarity :cool:

:rotfl: :rotfl: well what I meant was there was no 'digital' associated problems such as macro blocking which I've got with SD. And when you can get a 80" screen with no visable pixelation etc then again I think this is closer to the cinema than SD ever looks. And also dark scenes such as the night race in TT Tokyo Drift (near the end) seem a lot clearer, where as dark scenes with SD would loose clarity :cool:

Fair enough :smashin:

To clarify, I've always had the impression that the cinema PJ was doing too much, projecting bigger than optimum, causing washed out colours or blurring.
My Hitachi 7200 walks all over any cinema pic I've ever seen and it's hardly state of the art :)

I have leant my copy of kk dvd to my dad but will be interested to do a direct comparision when i get it back.

To be honest the 360 dvd drive is terrible so i just hope that also applies to the hddvd drive.

I hope all players will improve, SD players did, so I don't (with my lack of knowledge) see why not. :cool:

Fair enough :smashin:

To clarify, I've always had the impression that the cinema PJ was doing too much, projecting bigger than optimum, causing washed out colours or blurring.
My Hitachi 7200 walks all over any cinema pic I've ever seen and it's hardly state of the art :)

:rotfl: And to clarify, I hardly go to the cinema any more.. :D seems little point :smashin:

I am rearly impressed with a cinema picture, i normally find them slightly out of focus, but a decent cinema walks all over my avsetup when it comes to audio.

stevos, you may find that sitting further away would greatly enhance the viewing experience of what is a fantastic image. A 6ft image would be much better from say 9/10ft+
I watched KK on HD-DVD (through 350 add-on) with my son tonight on my HS60, 7ft screen at approx 15ft viewing distance, absolutely loved it :)

I have leant my copy of kk dvd to my dad but will be interested to do a direct comparision when i get it back.

To be honest the 360 dvd drive is terrible so i just hope that also applies to the hddvd drive.

I take it from that, the 360 drive is BD?
I just can't keep up, with me not being a gamer.

Having searched,
No it's not, it's Xbox, so must be HD-DVD?
So you want HD-DVD to fail, I take it?

What exactly are you saying ?

I am rearly impressed with a cinema picture, i normally find them slightly out of focus, but a decent cinema walks all over my avsetup when it comes to audio.

Well I'd have to ask what your setup is, audio-wise.
My missus and daughter watched a film at the flicks in the summer (Harry Potter, I just asked) and came away disgusted.

They haven't been to the flicks since :rotfl:

A grand, cleverly spent, will walk all over the cinema :thumbsup:

I will give a smaller picture ago tomorrow and report back.

Not sure what you mean by BD, but i am guessing you mean blueray. If so no the 360 drive is hd-dvd. I don't care which format suceeds i just was expecting so much more.

What i am saying is that i was expecting to be blown away but have not been. As it stands i currently feel like i have wasted my money.

My audio setup is slightly mismatch

2x B&W 805 mains powered by 2x cyrus smarts
4x mission 7ds rears powered by denon 3805

I seriously need to set up the rears better but i have been in my new home for 6 months now and still awaiting my upgrade (coming soon) before starting drilling into the walls.

When i watch a film and they do the mobile phone thing at the start and it sounds like it is coming from directly to your left then right then behind you and it doesn't mind where you sit is what i want.

When i get my new rear speakers you have given me new hope that it will sound king

Give it chance :D , but if you decide it isn't for you there are lots of people on this forum looking for the addon ;)

I will give a smaller picture ago tomorrow and report back.

Not sure what you mean by BD, but i am guessing you mean blueray. If so no the 360 drive is hd-dvd. I don't care which format suceeds i just was expecting so much more.

What i am saying is that i was expecting to be blown away but have not been. As it stands i currently feel like i have wasted my money.

Yes Blu-ray, is what I was talking about :smashin:
I'm surprised you aren't seeing a difference.
I am yet to go down that road, but normally people say it's great.
It's always good to hear someone disagree :smashin:
Like I said, I'm not blown away by TW HD.
In fact, I'm thinking of chucking it all.

My audio setup is slightly mismatch

2x B&W 805 mains powered by 2x cyrus smarts
4x mission 7ds rears powered by denon 3805

I seriously need to set up the rears better but i have been in my new home for 6 months now and still awaiting my upgrade (coming soon) before starting drilling into the walls.

When i watch a film and they do the mobile phone thing at the start and it sounds like it is coming from directly to your left then right then behind you and it doesn't mind where you sit is what i want.

When i get my new rear speakers you have given me new hope that it will sound king

Ah that's tricky.
You can only perfect it for one area, laws of physics.
You don't mention a centre :confused:
Anyway we've drifted, I'd suggest a new thead in the audio section :smashin:

Already got one going, but as you say thats another issue.

Most posts i have read are direct comparisions between dvd and hddvd (lots of a-b's going on), i thought i would do something different and just see what my first thoughts were.

I am sure if i did an a-b i would be blown away but that seriously isn't the point. In the future i plan to buy one or the other not both and i want to pop down to my local blockbusters and just enjoy the film (assume it is any good).

p.s. the point of this thread isn't my thoughts i was interested to see if anyone else had done something similar and what their / your thoughts were.

I quite regularly (as we all do) get into situations where i say 'is it only me or' and it turns out to be just me, and so i don't mind if every 100k member of this forum says i am mad but was just interested in peoples views.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom