One Servo 15 or two Rel q200e's?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Peter Parker, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    Hi,

I currently have a servo 15 in my 27 x 11 lounge and it fills it nicely. In the (hopefully) not too distant future I'll be converting one of our rooms to a dedicated theatre (smaller area than the lounge), but wasn't sure if two Rel Q200e subs might fill the room better than the single Servo 15. They'll go at the front of the room with the LCR speakers but I'm thinking how I could possibly use all three, depending on how they can be incorporated with the seating and single aisle.

Any thoughts appreciated :)

Gary

2. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    You already have all 3 subs?

3. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
  4. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Sell the Rel's and aquire another servo15:)

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    I did think of that funnily enough, but they're very hard to come by these days - there are a few wanted adds for them running at the moment, but some adds have been running for a very long time.. :)

One guy was after a second one, but ended up selling his own one because his circumstances changed before a second one came up.

Is there an affordable equivalent to a Servo 15?

Gary

6. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Gary,

I still have a Servo 15 in storage in London. I don't want to sell it but you can borrow it to play with for as long as you want.

Henry

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    Hi Henry,

Thanks!

As per your pseudonym, you're making me an offer I can't refuse :)

It'll be a while yet, but when I'm in a position to make a start on the room, and if it's still available, I'll be in touch.

I'd still like to know what peoples thoughts are on two Rels vs a single Servo though.

Cheers

Gary

8. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Personally, I would expect you to have a bit of an issue getting all 3 subs to work together well, and the old Rel's arent particularly potent for modern home cinema. Thats not to say it wont work though, and the offer of borrowing a second servo sounds interesting. If you were to run those 3 subs in a dedicated room, then I would probably consider the Rels in the front left and right corners, and then the Servo in another location where ever practical.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2013
  9. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    That sounds like a plan :)

The two Rels could be the main bass for the L/R speakers in the front, and then try the Servo elsewhere (though two servo's would probably be a better solution there). Would I be right in thinking that ideally I'd need some modelling software like REW to see what's happening in the room with any combination I try?

Cheers

Gary

10. mojogoes

mojogoes
    Remembered (1961-2016)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    Yes it would definitley need eq'ing using all three sub's.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...5YHQBQ&usg=AFQjCNENyGysBRn3b6ZImS9hawkoIhgTxg

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,993
    I went to Gecko over Christmas and I believe they had two smaller subs at the front and there was a big (possibly 15"?) sub near the back just near where I was sat. I know they have totally changed their set up now, but that was still an impressive sound they had, so it is possible to mix different subs and get a good result.

I've seen a white paper linked to somewhere (pretty sure it was Rob Sinden) that showed how using different numbers of subs would smooth the response. It certainly seemed to be diminishing returns once going from 2 to 4 or 6, but hopefully someone can link to the paper as it's worth a read. I suffer a null in my listening position that I've been able to improve a little by moving some furniture around, but in an ideal world I'd have a second sub to even out the response, so I'd say to go for the 2 x Servo 15s. I'm looking at a single sealed 15" or possibly 18" Gecko sub, but with a (much) longer term view of adding a second if I build a dedicated room one day.

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    I've seen it said where it's better to have full range speakers with good bass extension rather than smaller speakers with a sub because you have more chance of smoothing out the bass in the room (each speaker is effectively a sub as well), but it's not always practical for most of us. I think it was THX that suggested one sub on each wall but again, that's not going to be practical in my set up.

The single servo I have works well in my lounge, so I'm assuming it could do equally as well in the dedicated room. I'll have to experiment I think with the subs I have to see how that all pans out but I do like the idea of two Rels in the front and the Servo at the rear. I'm thinking behind the rear seats on the riser facing towards the screen, but there may not be room for that unless I extend the riser to the back of the room. Two 15s at the front may be the best compromise though....

Any one had experience of using three subs or just two in the front? All comments welcome :)

Gary

13. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,801
    Its ok having full range speaker but they only go as low as 20Hz and a good sub will go lower and do a better job.

14. Member 639844

Member 639844
    Former Advertiser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,182
    Yep, Ive run 1,2,3 and 4 subs. Ive also mixed and matched, once with a pair of MK subs and a big SVS at the rear. Its possible to get them to work together, you just need to put a little time into getting the best from them.

15. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,092
    Most full range speakers are dropping off well before 20hz, more like 40hz unless you are talking megga bucks floorstanders.

16. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +254
    The Q200s are rather different, and inferior, beasts to the Servo 15. If your new room is going to be smaller than your current room, and the Servo 15 fills that nicely (as it should - it's a monster sub!) then I don't see the point in adding two little old REL Q200s. There is just nothing they can do, even as a pair, that matches the Servo 15. A pair of Q400s would be a closer match, but still...

17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,400
    It sounds like some experimentation is going to be had!

I'll see what the two Rels sound like and then the Servo, and then see if it's worth using all three. I've a feeling the Servo will probably be fine on it's own, but wonder what problems a single sub may cause that multiples seem to iron out.

Gary