1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Seismic Beats 2 SVS Ultras

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Beatles, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/paradigm-seismic-subwoofer-8-2004.html

And did I say small? I could easily stack three of these and still be under the visual load of one SVS tube.

I hate to throw around some crazy adjectives, but these puppies rock. There was a clear brute force difference between the Seismics and the SVS CS-Ultra's. In fact I really felt like one Seismic was a little stronger than the SVS pair. If you remember the SVS-Ultra's were louder and almost as deep as the venerable Velodyne HGS-18. So putting the Seismic in comparison, it will knock you socks off.

They have a very clean authoritative sound, they never once shut off during my torture test. Where my Ultra's bottomed out, the Seismics played through. I was skeptical, as I had heard a few "compact" and "loud" subs, and well they didn't sound very good. Paradigm has really hit the nail on the head, very compact, and yet sonically clean.

One Seismic stronger than the SVS pair and the Ultra bottoms out.

2. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    You have 2 CS Ultras in a small AV room, and you manage to bottom them out? :confused:

Interesting review, shame we probably won't get to ever see/hear the Seismics over here...

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't obvious from Beatles posts but he has copied and pasted it all from the Secrets review so it is the reviewer that has the pair of Ultras.

Judging by Beatles previous post
    I would guess that either he doesn't like SVS or the bad old days are back again :rolleyes:

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Oh, I thought the way Beatles posted, that he was the reviewer?:confused:

5. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sorry that's why I posted the source. Ian there are no bad old days. I know your bias and I happen to disagree with it. I hope you won't censor this.

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of course he won't censor it! This isn't Nazi Germany you know.

Your entitled to your opinion, as are we SVS owners - yes thats right I'm an SVS owner, call me biased, call me black and white, I don't care.
    I know what my ears tell me and I've owned a Servo 15 along with many subs that you've probably never heard of and I've had around 15+, not saying I'm an expert but I do know good bass and the simple fact is that my SVS CS-Ultra is the best I've ever owned.
    Its not BS but simple truth, I was sceptical about the maniacal following SVS has on here but until you hear one that has been setup properly and I can't stress or emphasise the properly bit enough, any comment is pretty void.

Sure the Servo 15 is a good sub, no actually its a great sub. But my Ultra wins hands down in all departments when it comes to my listening room.

7. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had over 35 subs from Revels to Rels and well let's just say I know music very well and I disagree completely with what you hear but that's what makes this hobby fun.
    As for censorshop one forum does not allow anything remotely negative about SVS to be written. This is great. I have a Servo Signature here at the moment to and it's a monumentally incredible sub.

8. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope its better than Servo 15, I only had mine for around 3 weeks then sold it to JIT who is a member of these forums, so thats how much I thought of it :)

Oh BTW I got the figure for the number of subs I've owned wrong, it should have been 45. I wouldn't want anyone to get one up on me :laugh:

9. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess you beat me by 10 but I tend to only buy higher end ones. I put the 2 Paradigm Servos just below the DD and the HGS series and level with the Revel. The James would be in the same league as well. Then there are the pretenders to the throne.

10. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL!

More money than... well you know the rest.

I can understand why you'd feel the need to drag down the SVS - you've got to protect you're sound judgement & investment afterall!

I love these types who come on here and start making falacious claims agains't SVS or anyone else who seems to get so much praise. They do things like compare a £3500 sub such as the Velo DD18 or £2700 Revel B15 to something like a £1000 PB2+.

Tell you what hows about we buy 3 PB2+'s at £3000 and then stick a DD18 in there to mix it up with. I know what would be comming out top and I think the kids at home do too.

Well thats done it now, tell you what, you're right and I'm wrong, SVS are only average subs and all 35 of your high end subs are monumentally increadible.

11. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I won't resort to being down at your level but yes I can afford to indulge my passion and I do. In my opinion SVS are wholly unsuitable for music reproduction, but lots of folks like boom, bang and things falling off the wall. And if that makes you happy or yo're a rappy hip hoppy sort of chap then you made the right choice.
    Rock on dude.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    Class thread, odds on it still being here, or locked, by the time I get in from work? None probably:D Which is a shame as I don't have time to right a proper reply... :mad:

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm not sure what hobby you are referring to as yours seems either to be buying subwoofers or you have problems making your mind up. Like most members of this forum I have no objection to anyone expressing an opinion but those that insist that there are only two opinions on any subject - theirs and the wrong ones - end up as laughing stocks.

There are a few members here who have owned both Servo 15's and SVS and several more SVS owners who have come round and listened to mine but they are obviously boom and bang merchants with nothing left on their walls.

As you mentioned earlier, I do have a bias as I am strongly biased towards value for money which is something that SVS provides by the bucketload but I really don't see the point in arguing the toss over over a subwoofer that is unlikely to see daylight in this country, especially with someone who has an attitude problem like yours.

14. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Beatles

"Trollin' along on the crest of a wave...tra la la!" :)

The tester claims he is looking for a smaller footprint in his small room? :confused:

So he doesn't even need a pair of Ultras. :blush:

He needs headphones! :D

How nice of Paradigm to send him such a nice pair! :rotfl:

Nimby

15. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is worth noting that the review in question makes no mention of the output of each product when it reached its maximum capabilities. The SVS Ultras in the review are the CS_Ultra..passive. So there is no onboard limiting. The seismic-12 will have *substantial* limiting. So if the siesmic caps itself at say...100dB/25hz...but the SVS goes 3x louder...to 109dB/25hz...and then you can make the SVS driver bottom out if you keep pushing it....does that mean the seismic wins? I guess so according to some...

In Brians Ultra review...he noted the Ultras hit 108dB/16hz and maxxed out around 118dB/31hz. In this review...he notes the (pair) of Seismic-12s maxxed out around 112dB/31hz. So the SVS had double the output capabilities...at least at 31hz.

I would LOVE to see a current PC_Ultra($1149) compared to a $1700 seismic-12. Full FR and distortion tests of course..:)

Tom V.
    SVS

16. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    My SVS Ultra must be broken because it doesn't boom or bang and nothing has fallen off the wall. :( Time to buy a new sub.

17. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proper calibration sucks doesn't it! ;) :D

18. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

There is right and wrong in terms of music reproduction. That is unimpeachable and SVS does not do it properly. Hobby is Audio and sound reproduction, sorry that confused you to the point you needed to add a smart remark and if having a different opinion than you means I have an attitude problem then sobeit.
    Your bias in favour of one company is QUITE obvious as I read your posts. My bias in terms of accurate music reproduction is a whole other type.
    If they attempted to get accurate output as opposed to the loudest output they may get onto something.
    I'd be the first to buy it as we all like to save money. As for me proper sound is the goal no matter the cost.
    And oh yes I was merely pointing out an interesting article for all to read.
    Cheers.

19. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Keep digging as the hole is getting bigger :rotfl:

20. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You see your signature:

My personal opinions are just that
    Same here my friend and I have no trouble accepting your opinion. If mine is different than yours I ask for the same courtesy.

I merely pointed out a review folks would find interesting. No need to get defensive.

21. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I love the good old days. :devil:

22. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what that means but I assume one cannot have a contrary opinion on this forum?

23. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helps if the contrary opinion actually has any merit. :devil:

24. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hhhhhhh so if it's different from yours then there is no inherent merit?
    I've laid my viewpoint down many times that in my opinion SVS is flawed for high quality music reproduction. Tis just an opinion son.

25. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    It means this thread will get better and better, and like (spoke to soon - now EX)my wife will improve with age.

Mods. please feel free to delete my off topic post. I just enjoy these light-hearted threads as do many. Great Forum/Great Advice from many experts.

26. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The "good old days" refers to a period when someone with a variety of different user names was busy slating certain brands of subwoofer for his own vested interests. Funnily enough it was Paradigm that he had in his sights as he claimed that his kept catching fire.

If your motives are as pure as you would like us to believe, how come you have had to use a variety of different names on forums to conduct your anti SVS tirades and how come you have already been banned from one forum and are just about to be booted from another for the same reasons.

Contrary opinions are always welcome if given honestly and without ulterior motive and whilst most people's opinions are very pro SVS there are always some who aren't happy with their purchase. Try a search here to see what THX 1138 said about his SVS - it wasn't very complimentary

27. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will do that search. I see Tommy has emailed you. NOBODY dare better say anything anti SVS on HTF as their advertising dollars have turned it into little more than a SVS support forum with tens of My SVS is on a truck, My SVS is leaving the warehouse type threads. I have received many emails from people banned for dare saying they didn't like SVS over there. This is not an ANTI SVS tirade it is simply my opinion after many years of recording and listening to music. There desperately need to be a balanced approach especially for people who would be unaware that there just might be better alternatives out there ESPECIALLY for music. This is not my opinion alone. Quite a few audiophiles would never use a SVS or did and gave it up as it didn't serve the music. I am in that category as well as so many at MUG and AA.
    I am also not pro Paradigm as I find the PW2200 to be a boomy, sonic nightmare wholly unsuitable for music. The difference being you won't see someone from Paradigm whining that people may not like it nor will you get a fervent pack of 2200 owners decrying me as a ANTI Paradigm troll.
    It's a whole different mindset and I appreciate this forum does allow an open exchange.
    If the product is what you are looking for I am glad because it does come down to all of us having different priorities. Because my opinion differs it does not make me a troll but that does seem to be a favoured tactic amongst some.
    If one day I find a SVS that works and does what I want it to I'll be the first to say it and champion it. I'd love to save some money.
    Cheers.
    One must fervently hope that an open forum would never ban someone because they have a differing viewpoint.

28. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is there more to this exchange than is apparent initially? It seems like someone has posted a review saying a sub "may" be better than an svs and everyone has set about them like a pack of dogs. Im not expressing any oppinion either way as i have heard neither sub but i think theres more going on here than seems initially apparent because everyone is normally so friendly. Some sort of explanation might prevent "outsiders" like myself from just seing this as a series of very agressive replies.

29. juniper

juniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    And what is wrong with that?? - me personally I like those sort of threads. :) They tell me that someone after some careful, but difficult, consideration is extremely excited about the fact that they have spent their hard-earned money on a new subwoofer, and that they can't wait to recieve it and enjoy it. Meanwhile, having made a huge leap of faith in spending money on shipping something they may well not have even heard before to their door some 5,000 miles away, they want to share their excitement/anxiety with other people in the forum. I say "good for them" :clap: I will happily read them - it is one of the things I like about this and other forums. For the people who don't - then don't open that thread - you can't after all read them all :eek:

It doesn't have to be an SVS - if someone wants to get excited about any new piece of AV kit they have bought, then they should be allowed to - you after all do not have to read about someone else's enthusiasm if you don't want to!!

Just my ten pennerth on the subject!

30. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're talking ass when you mention boomy, Dr. Johnson from HTHF had this to say about the CS-Ultra:

Now this guy has had more subs on his test bench than most others, what he had to say here wasn't what you're saying or anyone else here for that matter. He is a well respected reviewer who's opinions carry weight, whereas yours completely contradict everything I've come to expect from my CS-Ultra.

You're an elistist who thinks because he has a bigger wallet than most, the cheaper SVS brand are bellow him, so you go out and buy an overpriced sub and then come back here with all sorts of rubbish that SVS don't sound musical.

I'm not a boom bass head or whatever you called me earlier. I know quality bass - better than you do by the sounds of things. I built DIY subs before I got the SVS and can tell you a thing or two about sub design. So please don't patronise me and tell me I like boom.