1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One rear centre or two very high?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Richard Harnwell, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I spent many hours last night seaching through this forum for an answer to this but couldn't find a post which addressed my precise issue......

I've just upgraded to a Denon 3803, and I'm looking to add a rear centre channel. I've got a Mission 733 pair at the front, a Mission centre (can't remember the model), and Mission 70ds surround speakers. It doesn't seem possible to get these anymore, so I was contemplating a 77ds pair for rear.

Now, there's an awkward window on one side of the rear wall, so that means I have two options:

1. Just one of these speakers at whatever height I want in the (almost) centre of the wall.

or

2. Both speakers, inverted & very high (because one will have to be above the window, say 7' +), positioned as I choose laterally. I could then move the side speakers higher to match if required.

What are people's thoughts on which is the better of these two options.

Also, are rear 77ds speakers an OK match for side 70ds ones (I could always buy another pair of 77ds if not)?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Richard

2. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I currently run one surround back (or centre rear). After looking into it I found that there is no current DVDs that are full 7.1 and a handful that are 6.1 (Blade II, LOTR both excellent). Based on this I opted for one centre rear as I can't see what improvement two would make if there is nothing that will utilise seperate surround back speakers.

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 7.1 is a speaker arrangement rather than an encoded soundtrack format.
    Both rear centres in a 7.1 set up will be fed the same signal, so it's one channel played through two speakers.
    Having two rear centres instead of one is simply supposed to disperse the rear centre effects better.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Many moons ago we had Pro logic. It had a single mono rear channel. Unfortunately a single rear channel confused the brain and mixed it up with a single centre channel (the brain ain't too good at front to back identification). THX recogonised this and made this single mono rear a sort of fake stereo with decorrelation. This involved two rear speakers. Now the brain correctly identified the results as rear info and didn't get confused with the centre channel any more. Fast forward several years and we now have 6.1, again there is a single mono rear. THX have recognised the issue again and two rears are recommendedas the best method in order to not confuse the brain again. This is why most serious sytems are 7.1, even if just 6.1 there are sound technical reasons for not having a single rear but dual mono rears so the brain doesn't just detect mono front and rear in 180 degree line.

5. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    So have you just given me an excuse to get an additional speaker? :)

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    always glad to be the excuse :)

7. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ahh - this would explain that scene from the Omen film.... :)

So, given there appear to be good reasons to have two rear centre speakers, do you people think it would be OK to have them really high as I mentioned? If I have to have two of them, I'm pretty much forced down that route....

8. Ron Hill

Ron Hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently run a humble Digitheatre DTS 5.1 setup and I have often wondered how I could implement 7.1 in a future upgrade as my sofa is against the rear channel wall and before you ask, it's primarily a living room so there's no way i'm ever going to get a room with a speaker layout like a true cinema room.

I have the the 5.1 RL and RR about a foot above head height in the corners of the room my sofa is backed against firing along that wall and I find the surround effect most convincing.

I'm saving to replace the Digitheatre DTS with a more flexable amp and probably a 7.1 Anthony Gallo setup. I'm envisaging A'Divas where my current surround speakers are located and a pair of Micros for the back channel. If I were to place the micros at the same height as my current RL & RR this would place them at either end of my sofa about a foot above head height. In this arrangement, should they point forward into the room or face toward eachother along the back wall like the current RL & RR?

The other option would be to put the micros up higher on the rear wall but if I do this, what direction should they face? Into the room, toward eachother or diagonally down toward the top middle of the sofa ?

Enlighten me do please as to the sensible option (Yeah, I know, move house. :) )