1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One Quick Fix (another ptae100 question)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cineman, Oct 14, 2003.

1. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi people, I've read all the faq's (Thanks Sean & Kramer) and they help, but my specific question is: I'm on a bit of a budget and would like to ask what is the one thing I could do/get to improve my picture's? I'm using the proj at about 2.3m away from a five-foot wide pull-down screen. I've heard about scaler's, line doubler's, pro-v's et al, and would like to know anyone's thoughts about which is the best way to go, e.g. would it be best to wait for a reasonably priced pal progressive dvd player to replace my ageing but v.good Sony DVP-S725D? That's the rub you see, I've got one purchase left on this year's budget and then all I can do is watch films 'til next year! BTW, I don't wish to go the HTPC route. :confused:

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The one really stonking improvement wit the AE100 is a hcpc, imo, but accept readily that this approach is not for everyone.

I can't comment on progscan dvd players from personal experience, but the dvd players forum would be a good place to check out - the new Sony 730p (I think thats the model number) is getting favourable comments and does pal and ntsc prog scan (its also fairly reasonably priced).

ProV is ok, but I'd say that you'd get better results from an Iscan, if your budget will stretch to it - it'll also give you more options in terms of connecting up other stuff to the PJ. If you go this route, and you're connecting to the PJ using a VGA lead, I'd strongly recommend that you get a Hoya FLD filter - you ned to be using the VGA connection to have access to the White Balance controls in the Picture menu - with the filter, and rebalanced White Balance on R, G and B, you can correct the "green push" and achieve better contrast and more accurate colour reproduction.

Lastly, if you watch a lot of 2.35:1 material and you can manage it
    in your arrangements, you should see if you can mask off the "grey bars" at the top and bottom of the screen with non-reflective black velvet. It makes a significant difference to your perception of contrast etc., and is near enough the cheapest and mst effective upgrade you can try.

All the best,

Sean G.