one power amp to avr and stereo amp same time

sosen13

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi, looking for advice to see if what I am trying to achieve is within safe option.
currently have anthem mrx710, pre outs to ati 1805 (5 channel monoblock power amplifier) running monitor audio paltinum and radius as rears speakers. all sounds great and I really am happy with it. However, managed to buy stereo amp which I was keeping an eye on for some time - abrahamsen v2.0up.
I want to use it just for music through chrome audio. but same time give it little more power from ATI. Is it ok, to (rears would be fed by internal anthem amps) same time use one power amplifier to connect to avr and stereo or you cant use two devices powered extra from single power amlofier? I hope all this maks sense and someone could advice, thank you
edit. thinking about it now, it probably wouldnt work anyway without need to swaping main speakers cables, so no good.
how about connecting stereo amp to avr using HT bypass like I used to in past, but same time go through power amp on top??

Yes second option will work fine. If the stereo amp has HT bypass, and pre-outs then you can just use it as a pre-amp, so it will sit between the pre-outs of the AVR and the inputs of the power amp, and be 'invisible' when using the AVR.

Yes, thank you. And in this case music straight through stereo from chromecast. However, would it trigger power amp to work in stereo only if it is set for trigger from avr 👀
Looks like I won't be able to skip HT bypass option. Question now, is it OK to chain connect this way three devices..

It is fine to daisy chain three devices together that way, pre-amps with HT bypass are designed for that very purpose, and that is how you will be using the stereo amp.

The power amp will be on or off, and will only work for the speakers that it is receiving an input signal for. So the other amps will be idling whilst you are listening to stereo music through the stereo amp.

In terms of trigger, ideally you want trigger out of the AVR into the stereo amp, then trigger out of the stereo amp into the power amp. That way the AVR can remain off when you are listening to music.

Does the stereo amp have a trigger input and output?

Hold on, is this your stereo amp?

The outputs are described as tape loop rather than pre-outs, you can't use them into a power amp as they will be at full volume. Also no triggers.

If that is the case, you might be better adding it to the system with the Beresford speaker / amp switch:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
This is the issue now, no trigger on stereo amp, so I'm not sure how would it wake up power amp. I may try to connect it and see, just wanted to make sure I won't blow any equipment with such way of connecting (too expensive stuff for experiments)
Edit. Yes, this is the one. Ahhh, so no pre outs in it. Ruin all my plans.. 👀

Actually abrahamsen might not need extra power as those watts are apparently a class, so 140 into my platinum speakers.. Just don't want to keep ati on standby haha

Actually abrahamsen might not need extra power as those watts are apparently a class, so 140 into my platinum speakers.. Just don't want to keep ati on standby haha
Yes, I have heard good things about that stereo amp and the specifications look impressive, hopefully it will produce good sound for you as a stand alone unit, but presumably you'll be wanting to share speakers between it and the AVR?

I do the following

Lexicon mc-8 left and right pre outs into audiolab 8000q CD input. Audiolab 8000q pre out into ATI amplifier.

I do the following

Lexicon mc-8 left and right pre outs into audiolab 8000q CD input. Audiolab 8000q pre out into ATI amplifier.
Yes, great. And how would this help me if abrahamsen has no pre outs?

Yes, great. And how would this help me if abrahamsen has no pre outs?

Get a pre amp that does, also ideally one with HT bypass...or use switches but make sure safe kind don't want both active nor active when whilst switching

Get a pre amp that does, also ideally one with HT bypass...or use switches but make sure safe kind don't want both active nor active when whilst switching
I'm not buying any more equipment. Current anthem and ati sound and works great. Abrahamsen I've got myself only as for long time wanted to try it out. Listening music on it now and superb. But thank you for your input.

With that stereo amp you're stuck.
Listen, I don't want to be rude. But have read your comments here on forum many times where such input wasn't on subject neither helping neither needed. Seen other forum members telling you the same. So maybe keep your suggestion for yourself regarding my question. And I will truly appreciate if no more comments from your side sir here.
Have a great evening and even better long weekend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom