1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One plasma, one wall and one central heating radiator!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by absthechatter, Nov 27, 2004.

1. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sort of new to the forum. I have reading for months (excellent forum), but only just registered. I did not feel confident enough to give any advice on this topic.

I do however now have a question!! After spending months researching the topic of plasmas, I eventually decided which one to get. LG RZ-42PX11. It would not have been my first choice, but my mind was made up by my brother explaining that a really good friend of his owned a family run local electronics shop. The outcome of this was me getting the plasma, the bracket, the fitting to the wall and 3 years extended guarentee for just under £1200.

I ordered today and it is getting delivered and installed on Monday...... Now for my problem / question. There are 2 possible walls the plasma can be fixed to, with the shape of my room, if I put it on one, the will not be enough room opposite for my new sofa (expecially ordered for my home cinema experience - it also cost 3 times as much as plasma). It will also make it less than perfect for viewing.
    If I put it on the other wall (definitely preferred choice) then it would be placed about 3 foot above a radiator (and a double one at that). There is no way the radiator can be moved because of the way the pipes have been installed in the wall.

Will it be too dangerous to place plasma there and can I lessen the danger by adding a radiator cover or shelf or something else???

Sorry about length of post..... and thank you

Dave

2. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would not recommend mouting a plasma over a radiator.
    Plasmas already get pretty hot themselfs, a radiator is not helping.

In general the hotter electronics run the shorter they live.

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    A lot of folks seem to have there plasma above fireplaces without any problems,I would think boxing the rad in will cut down on heat rising directly above the plasma,Also have a thermastatic valve fitted so you can turn the rad down slightly when veiwing or turn it off and use some other means to heat the room theres loads of good and cheap electric oil filled rads that would suffice.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)