1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One PJ, so many sources.....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mike Swannick, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a few months of cruising these forums (and the April issue of HCC) I have decided to go for the AE100 PJ. This will be fed by:

a Toshiba DVD player (component output)
    a SVHS VCR
    a Sky or cable box
    a PC.

I appreciate that only one source at a time can be used, but would like to refrain from constant plugging/unplugging of leads.

How do I rationalise all these sources to achieve some degree of auto switching by the PJ and, most importantly, top picture quality within the source and PJ's capabilities?

Any assistance welcome.

Mike.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Route them through an Av-amp perhaps?

Andy

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As you are going to be using the PC with the VGA input, why not consider using this as the only source feeding the AE-100?

Provided your digibox has a S-video output, run this & your S-video VCR through an AV amp with S-video switching. Use the monitor out to feed a TV capture card (I'm using a Pinnacle PCTV Rave), use dScaler to make the picture progressive (& generally clean it up with filters & comprehensive adjustments) & out put through your PC's VGA.

If you've got a DVD drive & decent software player/graphics card, you'll find that the DVD picture from the PC is far better than any component progressive DVD player!

That's my config, & I'm having excellent results (although not finished yet!), but be warned, you'll have to have a reasonable PC knowledge, as lots of tweaking is required to get the best image.

But this is undoubledly (IMO) the best setup.

Happy viewing!

4. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Kramer,

The HCPC route is one for the future unfortunately.:(

The PC is likely to be an infrequent visitor to the HC for now.

Having read the spec for the Yamaha RXV620 recently, can anyone confirm that it has a set of component inputs along with the S-Video ones to allow this auto switching thing? If that is the case then that should account for all the intended signals.

Is it the case then that the (video) connections would be something along the lines of;

DVD (via component) --> AV reciever --> (via component) --> PJ
    All other S-Video signals (via S-Video) --> AV reciever -->(via component) --> PJ, or would I have to run a S-Video cable to the PJ too?

I know most of this is day one stuff, but that's exactly where I am.

Cheers,

Mike.

5. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Taking no regard for quality there are 4 inputs to the proj.Component ,VGA,SVHS and composite.
    Quality wise get as much through the VGA and component as you can.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the 620 has component switching for 2 component inputs.

However, no AV receiver can convert from S-video to component.

You'll have to run an S-video cable to the PJ also.

You don't need to route the component through the AV receiver in this case. Only use is if you want to see the on screen display of the receiver when using your DVD player.

7. Mike Swannick

Mike Swannick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, light becoming visable at the end of the tunnel...

Mike.;)

8. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer (or any other clued up connection type person)

A belated follow up to this thread

I'm awaiting Sky+ and intend to run this in my living room but also feed it to the 'dining' room (where I will run my AE100 through HCPC, whenever DsicountTV get them in stock).

You're explanation of using the video switching and monitor out of an AV amp sounds ideal for the Sky+ to projector but this also raised another thought - although possibly a daft idea but here goes.

While looking at the back of my Yamaha E800 I notice the video switching includes an input for DVD. Is it also possible to use a domestic - i.e quiet spinning with remote control - DVD player as one of the video inputs and let the PC do its clever stuff with the projector for the best quality ( in the same way as you suggest for a Sky feed).

I've got an ATI TV wonder (composite only) TV card to send all video signals to from the AV amp.

9. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you can send any inputs, provided they are switched by your AV receiver, to the projector.

I'm using Dscaler to clean up all my video sources, with excellent results (I can now utilise all the filters simultaneously if I wish - upgraded to an Athlon XP1800+ running at XP2100+ speeds:D ).

You have a problem however. The composite connection on your ATI is the worst to use:(

You really need to be using an S-video connection on your capture device.

Also, the All in Wonder cards are not the best for video capture (or indeed video rendering). I think it may not even have the correct chipset for compatability with Dscaler, which is a must for your proposed venture.

Do some searching in the HTPC forums for more info, & check the Dscaler web site for compatable capture cards.

But yes, I'm very happy with my current setup. It's without doubt the best & cheapest solution to maximise the picture from all sources on the AE-100.

BTW, I did run my multiregion Pioneer DV444 through the PC & Dscaler using the S-video, & the results were excellent- no comparison between this & the Pioneer fed directly to the PJ via S-vid.

Picture was at least equal to the PJ being fed progressive component, if not better.

Happy HTPC'ing:D

10. KevinR

KevinR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Kramer, you've made my day (and its not even 9 o'clock yet:D )