one or two subs

S

SPYTHON

just a quickie........

would there be any advantage in having two 150watt 8" subs rather than a single 250watt 8" sub ???????

S

SPYTHON

two matched subs - surely the greater air displacement fromthe two cones would make up for the loss in absolute amp power after all the difference in power could only lead to a 2 or 3 db gain in volume ???

J

juboy

General wisdom is that two subs will outperform one sub, even with the watt ratings you mention above.

Also note that it's unlikely you will ever use most of the amp's claimed wattage rating.

B

bob007

Originally posted by SPYTHON
just a quickie........

would there be any advantage in having two 150watt 8" subs rather than a single 250watt 8" sub ???????
In some cases, in other cases no, positioning two subs is a nightmare, to many variables, room, size, shape etc. Now if you were to change the specs of the single sub to a 250watt 16" IOM that would then out perform the 2x150watt 8".

J

juboy

Some might consider that a bonus. May also improve the overall sound... what with less nagging to turn it down and asking for explanations of the entire plot 3 minutes into the film :D

S

SPYTHON

just think of all the goodies we could buy if we had the sense to stay single................

Apone

I ask the same sort of question to M&K when looking for a sub.

The options were 2 x v1250 subs (1 x 12inch driver in each) or 1 x mx350 sub (2 x 12inch drivers in one enclosure) cost would roughly be the same.

There reply was to go for the single higher quality sub.

They were not wrong, I love it and it blends very well in my room with the speakers.

Regards

Mahmood

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Having two subs doesn't always mean louder or more even bass. I had two Rel Storms and a complete nightmare trying to get them to work well together. In the end the advantages that i thought were there having two subs, just didn't work. In the end I bought a 15" servo controlled Velodyne CHT 15 and this beats the two Stroms in my room for good clean bass.

dts_boy

having gone from a 150W 8" sub to a X2 12" isobarik 360W sub, the difference is amazing! i tried adding another 150w 8" and it didn't work for me, although i don't think that i had them set-up correctly - its quite difficult to get them to work in conjuction with each other and not cancel themselves out!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom