1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

One of those Noob questions ....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Garfield, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - I am upgrading the following.

Yamaha DSP-A5 onto Bose AM series I front and sub, Eltax Bipolar rears and Centre.

Step 1 - The amp needs a facelift.

On E-Bay I am looking at a Denon AV-3803, how much money is too much?, I am also looking at a Yamaha RX-2400RDS, same question - how much?

Are these decent choices? - I like the 2400 because it has THX certification and is a bit more future proof but I am impressed by the reviews I see of the Denon.

Are there any others I should look for?.​

Step 2 - Speakers.

I am not sure the Bose handles the soundstage that well given the way in which it insists on managing my fronts and not using my sub output so I'm tempted to upgrade the speakers too - but to what ? - there is so much choice. I'm happy to go secondhand so if I were to say the budget is around £500 what would you look for.​

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I would go for the newer 2400 over the older 3803.

I would try to get it for less than £500 as if not you can get it from Germany for not to much money new.
    http://www.tsn-cd.de/pi1052937462_2.htm?categoryId=0

If your going to upgrade your front speakers it si almost essential to upgrade the centre as well to keep the sound tonally the same. What type of speakers are you looking at? Floorstanders/stand mounted/bookshelf/lifestye?

3. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually prefer the smaller more unobtrusive like the M&K's but I still like my Bose cubes. I would consider some nice floor standers like the Mission 753f if I could be sure they will work OK in an AV setup. I am looking for sound accuracy more than a boom box but I do like systems that can punch you in the chest with accuracy (unfortunately NAIM SL's are out of my league)

My only concern with my current Bose setup is with the soundstage. The Bose does not allow independant Sub control, instead it takes both left and right front audio into the sub and then passes the left and right front out to the cubes. According to Bose the cubes will be damaged if directly connected to an amp.

I just get the feeling that my soundstage however good it sounds may not be accurate given this lack of control.

Thanks for the link too !! - that price is amazing - 757 Euro spanking - do we get robbed in the UK or what !!

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I know I got my 1400 from Germany. Took 5 days from order confirmation and money paid to delivery on my doorstep :smashin: and saved onver £250 on the retail price at the time I got it:eek:

Im baised but I can recommend the AE evo series. Evo 3 floorstanders and the evo centre for under £400 inc vat and delivery:thumbsup:. Fantastic with music and kick b*tt with movies as well.
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1278
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1280
    Alternativly a pair of the eveo 1's
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/1277
    decent stands and a sub. I would recommend getting a sub anyway as the evo 3's cant go as deep as a sub.

Sell the bo*e on ebay and put the money towards a decent sub and you wil be amazed :D

Will demo if your any way near me if interested.

5. Garfield

Garfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, if I'm ever down your way I will give you a shout for shure ...

I think the AV is going to be the 2400RDS ....

Still can't believe the Denon 3803 went for £435 and it wasn't even close to new. No way it was worth that much .....