1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one of the must underrated bands...

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by rollnrocker, Jun 2, 2004.

1. rollnrocker

rollnrocker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just got the new Styx Anthology double cd. I already had the Greatest Hits, but this is so much better - 2 and half hours of the best work from Styx. The greatest hits is kinda lame b/c it only had songs from when they were on A&M, but this one collects songs from 13 of their 14 studio albums.
    i've already got all their albums in my iPod, but i end up having to skip through a lot of songs and even then, the sound differences are kinda annoying. especially when the volume doubles out of no where between 2 songs. if you're already a Styx addict like me, get the album b/c its SO nice listening to all their best songs back to back and actually have them flow together.

If you've never heard them before, this collection sums them up really well and you should give it a chance.

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    RNR ... Just had a look through the track list of the Anthology and suprise suprise as with all attempts to do "best of's" there are always a few exceptional tracks that dont make it into the collection - in this case there is no sign of "I'm OK" from Pieces of Eight - one of my fav Styx tracks with some superb church organ - I have a couple of their CDS so I'll just add a couple more & should have my own "best of" ... Paul ;)

3. Floodedstatue

Floodedstatue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm...seems like a good point to mention: I wonder how many Guns N Roses fans bout the controversial new 'Greatest Hits'. I'm a fan and I'm perfectly aware that the record company (who decided to release the best-of, against the wishes of the band) picked 4 songs from each album. You don't just go "ah, we'll take 4 songs from each album and we're done"! Some big-wig at Geffen should be fired for that almighty arse-up....Now when you've got an album as outstanding as 'Appetite For Destruction', you've got to have atleast 6 tracks, not 4. No sign of the mighty 'Coma' from Use Your Illusion I, or 'Estranged' from Use Your Illusion II. The list could go on. As a fan I am disgusted at the blatant 'cash-in' the record company have done. The 'Greatest Hits' are for people who don't realise how good GNR really are. If you want a real taste of what Guns N Roses bought to the world, buy UYIllusion I & II, but most of all Appetite For Destruction. It is essential :lesson:

4. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,957
    Appetite was (and still is) a great album - nearly every track on that album could warrant a place on a greatest hits CD. I didn't buy the greatest hits as I have all the albums anyway - including the double live album - so there really is no point !
    P.S. I still remember the day I first played the Appetite album. It sent shivvers down my spine - I can't think of another album that has done that to me since

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Used to like them and saw them live at Bingley Hall in Stafford. They arrived in seperate helicopters and did the whole Paradise Theatre thing. Bit pompous for my tastes. Cant fault the musicianship and I own pieces of eight and Cornerstone on vinyl, I used to sing 'Babe' till everyones ears bled :laugh:

Belong in the same category as Meatloaf, Supertramp and Asia........hmmm all of which I own at least one album by :blush:

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always considered Styx a guilty pleasure. As silly as some of their stuff is, they've still written some of my favorite songs of all time. Babe, Blue Collar Man, Miss America, etc. Great stuff.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :laugh: I was going to put 'Blue Collar man' instead of 'Babe' , but didnt think many people would know the song.......whooaa 'take me down to my boat by the river'...............guilty as charged :rolleyes: